RedFoxGaming

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
What would be the best way to create an instant Death Spell, but when you use it, every enemy that was killed by it gives 0 EXP and 0 gold?

Soulrender

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Poland
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Or just put state with Experience 0% trait on that actor with instant kill skill

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Soulrender that would cause the exp loss on other cases as well as not only when that specific skill is used.
and it would still not reduce gold

Soulrender

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Poland
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I get the point, but this could give him an idea to develop more challenging battles.
Kill enemy instantly, but you won't get nothing, your @Andar approach will be just a loss of small amount of total
exp in battle, for instance:

player fights 4 trolls, each troll is worth 100 Exp, when one is instantly killed and the rest normal way, player will gain 300XP, with my option, player would gain no exp. So @RedFoxGaming, decision is yours, you have 2 options :)

gstv87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
a simple check could be hooked into the XP calculation, to look for the last used skill, which is always stored for reference.
I don't know the JS code for it, but I can put something together in a few minutes by porting a modification I made to Ace....

scratch that.
by default, the XP is calculated at the end of every turn, upon validation of "all dead?".
so, if there's an enemy still standing, the calculation won't take place, and the back reference of skill would be lost.

that needs to be done at skill apply level, not at round end level.

Last edited:

RedFoxGaming

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
What I'm going for, but with your suggestions I believe I can make it work, is an "emergency" instant Death Spell that you would use if you got in a battle you feel like you can't win or run from. The spell has a very high success rate and hits all enemies, but the enemies that it does kill will not give you gold or EXP. If it doesn't kill all of them and you have to kill some enemies normally, the ones you kill normally will give you the normal gold and exp. Basically the Expel spell from dragon warrior 3.

gstv87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
mmmmmh..............skill after-effect with negative XP added to the party based on dead enemies, overrode by final XP calculation considering *all* enemies?

maybe?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
that's the quickest way, with no plugins whatsoever, at skill effect level.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
that's the quickest way, with no plugins
no, the quickest way is the escape effect I mentioned in my post above. That removes the enemy without giving any XP or gold.
It's under other/special effect in the skill options of the database

RedFoxGaming

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I would just have to figure out how to manipulate the text so that it doesn't say the enemy ran away when the skill "kills" the enemies, while still having the escape text there so enemies still run away and it displays the text like it is suppose to

Ossra

Formerly Exhydra
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hmm, does that text actually show up when using the 'Escape' effect? I do not think there is any plugin interference, but I could be wrong. Here is what I tried, and there was not any escape text at all :

RedFoxGaming

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Honestly I haven't been able to try yet. I haven't been back on my computer. I'll probably try it in the morning.

gstv87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
no, the quickest way is the escape effect I mentioned in my post above. That removes the enemy without giving any XP or gold.
It's under other/special effect in the skill options of the database
but escape implies *escape*, which is a different process.
and by process I mean calculations within the scene.

my approach uses an actual skill, and it lets the play remain within the battle loop.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
my approach uses an actual skill, and it lets the play remain within the battle loop.
I was writing about the skill effect escape, that can only be used with a skill, and NOT the escape command triggered from the party menu (which indeed uses a non-skill sequence)

Aesica

undefined
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You'll at least need this micro-plugin: (You can credit me for it if you want, but it's less than 15 seconds of code so I don't care)

Code:
Game_Enemy.prototype.exp = function() {
    return this._noBonus ? 0 : this.enemy().exp;
};

Game_Enemy.prototype.gold = function() {
    return this._noBonus ? 0 : this.enemy().gold;
};
Now, in your death spell, you'll either need to use the formula box or a few Yanfly plugins for access to the action sequence system.

Formula box approach
Warning: Sloppy. Will pop up damage (0) and mark the enemy as not having exp/gold whether the skill kills it or not. Add the following to the formula box as a HP damage skill:

Code:
b._noBonus = true; 0
Action sequence approach
Requires YEP_BattleEngineCore, YEP_X_ActSeqPack1. Ideal approach, as it (should) only mark the enemy as exp/goldless if the skill actually kills them. Also doesn't show a tacky 0 damage popup. Add the following to the death skill's note box:
Code:
<Target Action>
perform action
action animation: target
wait for animation
action effect: target
if (target.isDead())
  eval: target._noBonus = true;
end
death break
perform finish
</Target Action>

RedFoxGaming

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If I used the microcode, would using this in the formula box work better? (I'm at work right now so I cannot test it)
b._noBonus = true; b.addState(1);

Or whatever the command was to add a state?

Aesica

undefined
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well addState(1) is instant death that will kill just about anything, even bosses, unless they have state resistance (the thing that gives perfect immunity, not the percentage modifier) enabled. And, since it's the formula box, you'd still have that unwanted 0 damage popup. I wouldn't recommend that approach.

RedFoxGaming

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well, where is the damage popup method located? Can I alias it and add a check that if damage = 0 that it won't draw the popup

Edit: I would totally just use Yanflys plug-ins but he's apparently recently started charging for them.

Last edited:

Aesica

undefined
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Not sure where the actually damage popups happen, haven't looked for them yet.

Anyway, many of Yanfly's plugins are still free, including many of the most widely-used. As far as I know, the ones I listed are still free.

Sword_of_Dusk

Keyblade Master
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@RedFoxGaming

The plugins Aesica mentioned are indeed free. Yanfly actually has a whole bundle of free plugins. And even the paid ones are $1 each, so not very pricey.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Broke: Dont move. -boring. -passive. -uncreative. Woke: Bewegen Sie Nicht! +authoritative. +foreign. +reminds your son that he's a garden gnome now.
My girlfriend left a note on the fridge saying 'This isn't working, goodbye.' I opened the refrigerator and it works just fine. Weird.
BCj
Could someone translate something from Japanese to English for me?
You know, I sometimes ponder if working on the story and details is more necessary than the game itself. Its... technically work, just not direct.

Like for me specifically I never stop evolving the story based on what avenues I can approach in gameplay and then I get anxious thinking "hey good thing I thought about that now instead of later". Repeat ad nauseam.
World Of Final Fantasy Livestream~!
(Ft. Kaliga)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
schico