hypershadic11

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I need help making the map scroll instantly, almost like a skip. I've set the map to scroll up as fast as it can, but I need something more instantaneous. Is this easy? Did I miss a block that can do this?... Or would i have to code it in?

Heirukichi

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Use this script call:
Code:
$game_map.start_scroll(dir, dist, spd)
Dir is you your scroll direction (down = 2, left = 4, right = 6, up = 8), dist is how many squares you want to scroll and speed is how fast it scrolls. Change those to fit your needs.

Roninator2

Gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Some testing shows me that you should not use a speed higher than 10. Otherwise it causes issues with the movement.

Roninator2

Gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Heirukichi I started my test with the speed at 15. It moved over instantly.
I set on a larger map to move right, down, left a bit, left the rest, and up.
The result was right all the way it could go, down all the way it could go, left all the way it could go, ignoring the second left as there was nowhere else to go, and finally all the way up.
Adjusting the speeds I found that at 10 it moved almost as fast and performed the movements correctly.

It seems that the movement goes faster than the display, so it makes me think it's doing this...

Move right 1 block (29 to go lets say), graphics update, move right 1 block (graphics update incomplete), move right 1 block, (graphics update complete 1 block changed). So the map thinks it has 29 blocks to go but your position has already move 3 blocks.

Heirukichi

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Roninator2 well, I am not surprised about that movement being instantaneous with a speed of 15. The formula used to calculate speed is the following
Code:
2 ** speed / 256
Since 256 is 2**8 having speed set at 15 means you move by 128 (2**7) each frame. However maybe there is a way to speed up the camera as well, I should check that out. Thank you for the thorough explanation.

hypershadic11

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Use this script call:
Code:
$game_map.start_scroll(dir, dist, spd)
Dir is you your scroll direction (down = 2, left = 4, right = 6, up = 8), dist is how many squares you want to scroll and speed is how fast it scrolls. Change those to fit your needs.
Thank you so much! This worked, and it's looking good!

Some testing shows me that you should not use a speed higher than 10. Otherwise it causes issues with the movement.
Well I would've honestly liked it to mess up, since my game is supposed to be glitched, but oddly enough I set the speed to 15 and nothing bad happened. It was just an instant shoot across the screen, so it worked out! :D

Heirukichi

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I set the speed to 15 and nothing bad happened.
When it comes to graphics issues they could be related to hardware too. It is possible that a certain glitch/unwanted behavior only appears when using a certain hardware.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Crazy week. My anxiety decides to go nutz. Worse thing about it is that it causes me to lose focus on my work. I was able to leave early one day and take a nap. Seemed to help. How is everyone? Boosters coming soon here. Get my life back on track again.
Finally got my new Discord Server up & Running! I'm still improving it as much as I can, & I'm open for any Suggestions!
I've been busy trying out different art styles for my game.

Enemies deserve some spotlight also
hackingCompressed.gif
I think I can make a text-based mini-game with almost zero art assets and with code only...just a lot of code as assets all by themselves. :kaojoy:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cecill