Instruments as weapons

derge12

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
finnish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I need inspiration on how to turn musical instruments into weapons.

Can someone give me ideas for musical weapons?

MoonBunny

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well, the most simplistic method is to have various instruments be another way to bash an opponent. If you want to go beyond that, they could be so out-of-tune that using them produces shrill sounds that cause harm to target(s). You could have them work as tools to produce magical songs/music.

Rodak

Dang Hippy
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Math
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Apart from what MoonBunny suggested, they could also have effects like putting enemies to sleep with soothing melodies, or scaring them off with bad music (making them flee), or even boosting party stats by playing their favorites.

The status boosts were used like that in an old final fantasy game, but they only lasted as long as the bard was playing. I forget which one it was, but finding the ff games that had a bard class and reading the walkthroughs/guides for Bard abilities may help with ideas.

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Consider staff or wand, with their skills and all.
Now, change the staff or wand with any musical instrument.
Nothing would be different.

You could have a trombone throwing a fire ball from its mouth.
You could have a harp that when you pick the strings in a certain sequence, summons a meteor.

Now, if you mean music-related stuff as a skill idea, then that would be different.

MushroomCake28

KAMO Studio
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
EN, FR
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Continuing on what Theo said, if you want regular weapons in the theme of musical instruments, I can think of a violin used as a sword and shield: the violin itself can be the shield while the violin bow can be used as the sword.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Reminds me of my game, where the Sirens have different songs with different effects. I'm even adding more beyond the RTP defaults.
But in answer to your question, I think flutes, clarinets, and bassoons might be good "thrust" weapons. Maybe the mouthpiece would be the sharp end. And a trumpet, trombone, or bugle would be an interesting missile instrument (like one can play them but they can also shoot fireballs or other object out of them). And also a violin like some others mentioned. Except you could launch a sharpened bow off the violin strings! And the swing weapons could be cellos, lyres, and maybe saxophones.
I wouldn't know much about using instruments as weapons--stink, I can't even play one--but hopefully I was able to offer some assistance.

Shikamon

The Dragonslayer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
well, guitar could be used as an axe, lute used as bow but with dart not arrow. flute as wand, cymbals as dual wield weapon.etc :D

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Continuing on what Theo said, if you want regular weapons in the theme of musical instruments, I can think of a violin used as a sword and shield: the violin itself can be the shield while the violin bow can be used as the sword.
As a violinist, reading this made me flinch and cringe.
well, guitar could be used as an axe
Heh! Guitar. Axe. Heh.

CraneSoft

Filthy Degenerate
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Not English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Ever watched Kung Fu Hustle? Sound waves produced from the instrument itself is already an incredibly lethal weapon if weaponized. :p

GBJackson

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Musical Instruments as a weapon works best, in my opinion, where the lore of your game establishes that certain monsters fear music. Not so much the music itself, though they would hate it, but rather the cheerful spirit it evokes within those who hear it.

In old warfare, pipers and drummers created a cadence by which armies marched and fought acirding to rhythm. Drummers and Pipers on opposite sides would also use their beat or melody to disrupt the enemy's own cadence.

So instruments can be made to play a buff/debuff role in combat.

HankB

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
These are all puns and wordplay, I don't know if that's useful in your case, but...

I don't know if Rock exists in your game's world, but in this world really awesome electric guitar solos are often referred to as "face melting". That could be a thing. There're also "power chords", like maybe for a power-up. A person with exceptional guitar skills is said to have great "chops".

I know there are a lot of others, I'm just drawing a blank at the moment. I was going to mention the "guitar/axe" thing, but I see someone beat me to it.

Hungry Moogle

A Rat in the Wall
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
How about the musician having a pet that they command with music to attack the enemy?

YoraeRasante

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
As @CraneSoft mentioned, soundwaves as attacks. Could be just moving the air like a solid blow, or using a frequency to damage structurally, or to affect the brain and confuse the enemy.

Or you can go the path of the bard, and use the instrument as a magical focus, only durable enough for some strikes but no more than a wizard bashing someone with their staff.

Or there is the Mosnter Hunter way, with its Hunting Horn. They are durable and with some spikes and blades around but are mostly used for blunt damage like hammers. Due to being hollow they deal less damage than hammers... but their main effect is that, on each swing, they produce a note as they travel through the air, and with the right combination you can then use them as a song to activate effects.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I have made 60 new skills! ''after test'' I have made 3 new skills!

Made a new battleback this week! How's it look?
"This is the real secret to life - To be completely engaged with what you are doing in the here and now. And instead of calling it work, realize it is play."
Me: "I don't to use other engines because I'd have to do a lot of coding."

Also my desktop right now....
mycurrentdesktop.jpg

...I literally spend more time using VS Code than MZ. :kaoswt:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleA2015