Interaction Window

Discussion in 'JS Plugin Requests' started by Acer2020, Nov 15, 2018.

1. Acer2020

Acer2020 Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Hi all, hope y'all are keeping well.

I was hoping someone could help me with a plugin which creates an interaction window. Basically this is a window which pops up to inform the player of what action(s) may be taken when interacting with a particular event. Similar to the interaction system we recently saw in Red Dead Redemption 2, and in Bully back in the day.

I've found that in RPG maker games its not always easy to know what can and can't be interacted with (particularly in indoor maps). I've attached some mock up pictures to help show what I envisioned this plugin would look like.

Thanks a lot!

3.png 2.png 1.png

2. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    So they interact with the event, then it gives a list of choices of what they can do? Seems like just a choice box to me, with a name/title at the top. And if there is only one choice for the majority of objects, that means I have to press the action button twice to actually interact (once to show the window, once to select what I want to do from the list) ... which would be kind of annoying.

3. Acer2020

Acer2020 Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    I had originally thought of using a choice box. The problem I had with that was that a choice box requires the player interact with the event before the choices will show. With this plugin I was intending that the player would only have to face the event before the interaction window would show.

4. Poryg

Poryg Dark Lord of the Castle of Javascreeps Veteran

First Language:
    Czech
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You can inspire yourself in Galv's action indicators plugin, since it does a pretty similar thing. The only difference would be using a choice window instead of whatever they are using.

5. gstv87

gstv87 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I was thinking the same as I read the request, and I believe the solution is to add a check to each event declared as an interactive object to have itself check for the player's presence nearby.
    I'm not sure how that'd affect processor time tho.

another solution would be the reverse thing, and have the player ping it's surroundings to detect interactive events.
    again, same work load on the processor, but it wouldn't be as much since it'd be one single check each time, coming from the player.

THE solution to this, is the solution to a basic proximity detection system: ping the area and read the result. If there's an obstacle, respond, if not, keep scanning.
    whatever you do once you have the result, is up to you.

6. Acer2020

Acer2020 Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Thank you all for taking the time to reply. I'll use suggestions and ideas you've all given and see if I can't create the desired effect with existing plugins and features. :LZYsmile::LZYcool: