lithkast

Quirky mini boss
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
Interior Doorways, or How not to walk through a giant hole in the wall.

Its annoying isn't it?  You create a house and make the inside look all pretty, only to find yourself with a giant problem.  The rooms you create don't have doorways.  All they have is a giant vertical hole in the wall for you to walk through.  Its a problem that has annoyed me for a long time, and finally I decided to tackle the problem during a live stream I did last night.  I managed to get help with this from my good friend Rumiko, who pretty much set me on the right track.  I'm giving her 70% credit for this, while I'll take the 30% labor credit for the tileset and the door event.  

Ok so first, let me explain what I'm talking about when I say you walk through a vertical hole in the wall. 

Example room without a door

Now, that room is ok but you wont find a house with a room like that.  rooms have doors.  I mean, come on, you need privacy right?  So anyways, there were a couple ways to solve this problem, but each way came with a challenge.  If you just made an event that would move the player forward, change their through to on, and made them invisible you could accomplish the entire thing without having to modify any tileset.  However, you would lose control of your character for a few seconds and if you accidentally ran over the even with your player, you'd leave the room against your will.  

Another way you could do it is to event the wall and ceiling above the doorway and put that above the character.  The issue with that is it would take some editing to get the walls to show up as event images, and even if you did, it would have weird lines in the final product.

Example room using events for the doorway

See what I mean?  Now, I was stumped by this problem, but my friend Rumiko put me on the right track and with some photoshop editing, I created a tileset that will give you a doorway without screwing with your walls.  The great thing is, I did all the work for you so you really don't have to do much but follow my steps to set up the tileset and create the event.  In the end, you should have a room that looks like this.

Example rooms using my method

Ok lets begin.

Step 1:  Download my Tileset and put it into your Tileset folder under img.  (Your Project > img > tileset).  
 - This tileset will probably be modified by me as I add in more walls and clean up some of the existing walls.  The current version will work for this tutorial and nothing about this tutorial will be invalidated by future changes to the tileset.  Any future changes to the tileset will be posted in the resource forum, not here.

Step 2: Go into your database in RMMV and head over to the tileset tab.  Once there, click on the Inside tileset (default 0003) and find the drop down box labeled D.  Click on the drop down box and add the tileset you just downloaded (Custom Tileset).

Step 2 Image Example

Step 3: At the bottom of the database you will see tabs labeled A, B, C, D.  You want to click on the D tab and it will show the custom tileset there.  Now its time to deal with Passability settings.  You will have three settings to choose from here.  X, O, and Star.  
 - X means no passing by the character unless Through is on.
 - O means the character can pass freely over the block uninhibited.
 - Star means the character can pass freely under the block, so the block will be above the character.  

Lets observe for a moment what we have to work with.  I set up a 2x3 block for the walls on the tileset.  You want to set the center two blocks (the center wall and center roof) to star.  These parts will be the door arch for you.  The rest of the walls and roof will be set to X.  Once you have that down, you can start placing and setting up your room.

- You'll notice that the 2x3 tiles on the right of the tileset are only 2x2.  That's fine.  Just set the two right tiles (roof and wall) to star and the left ones to x.  Follow the image below to see how its detailed.

Passability settings

Step 4:  Build your room.  You can use the regular tileset walls (tab a) and the custom ones (tab d) together.  Essentially use Tab D for the arch area and the regular tab for the other areas.  Congrats, now you have an actual room.  Only thing that's left is a door that will let you enter and exit!

Step 5: The door.  Ok, easiest way to do this is to right click and use the auto event function to create a door.  It takes care of the bread and butter of this event.  Select the door style you want, and don't worry about the transfer.   Once you have your door created, click on it and get ready to do some edits.

- First edit you want to do is to delete the Transfer and the footstep noise.  Both are worthless.  Once that is done, have the event turn self switch A on at the end of it.  Finally, set the event to Action button instead of player touch.  This will be page one of your event.  

Door Event Page 1

- Create a new event page (easier to just copy the first event page) and set it to trigger when self switch A is on. Make sure you set the event image to the blank space on the door sprite you used.  Next, for the move route, you want to switch it to "Turn Right, 3 wait, Turn Left, 3 wait, Turn Down, Through off"  This will take the door through the closing animation, and make it so you can't move through the door (cause its closed).  Next, turn self switch A off and you are done.  The event trigger should still be Action button.

Door Event Page 2

Step 6: Congrats.  You now have a door.  Enjoy entering and exiting interior rooms with actual doors on them.  I really hope this tutorial has been helpful.  Like I said, I will be modifying the tileset used by adding more walls and fixing stuff stuff up so they look nicer.  This will not have any effect on the tutorial though.  Thank you for your time!

cadencefire

Cadencefire
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hey I really like this!! I've searching how to do this without using parallax mapping. What you've made is really simple and easy to understand. Also, thank you so much for editing the tilesets to be used for this! I do have a couple of suggestions for this when making the the event pages. 

Page 1: I tested it in game and it is possible to keep the door open when exiting the map. I don't know if this was your intention but I found that adding in one more "1 Step Forward" prevents this. Page 1

Page 2: When you press the trigger button to close the door, you end up with the player walking through the closed door. If you switch "Set Move Route: Player: 1 Step Forward" above the door move route, and change the event trigger to "Event Touch",  it prevents this as well. Page 2

Thank you again for coming up with this!! :)

darico06

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
This is amazing! Thank you so much for this! :D

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

I've decided to stop buying candy in supermarket and bulk buy 4.5kg of candy. The disadvantage of that is, now I eat a lot of candy. -_-
Microsoft has consumed Activision Blizzard. Makes me wonder if they're gonna make Blizzard Blizzard again.
HexMozart88 wrote on AphoticAmaranth's profile.
Your profile pic's face is my current mood.
tfw you're turning old af concept art into a workable game asset (ΦωΦ)
UMjgAfe.png

zGZGQEZ.png

Working on its arm and other leg. boy oh boy getting this thing to move is going to be *fun*
Hi everyone, thanks for reading :kaoswt:
I have a channel for you, An RPG MAKER MV plugin tutorial on YouTube:kaojoy:
Any supports'll be appreciated and I hope you have a great day:wink:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
parkbraueix