Interloper (Download available!)

Discussion in '2014 Indie Game Maker Contest' started by InterloperGames, Jun 5, 2014.

Tags:
  1. InterloperGames

InterloperGames Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Interloper

This game is a standard JRPG. There is nothing interesting about this game.
     ​
    Or there wasn't... until the Interloper arrived. Things have changed in this game's world, the Hero is nowhere to be seen.
    The arrival of this Interloper has made an impact and the flow has been interrupted. How will the inhabitants of the game react to her?
     ​
    Can the world still be saved?
     ​
     ​

[​IMG]

​
    • Explore an ordinary game world, in an extraordinary situation.
    • Short game with a branching structure, a few puzzles and a lot of unorthodox storytelling.
    • 5-10 different endings (depending on how you define a seperate ending)

​

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Hello all!

I had the idea for this game a while ago while talking about the name of my soon-to-be game company. I have been working on another game for a while using Unity, but I'm going to take a break from that to let the artist catch up a bit, and in the meantime, work on this game!

I've only just got a hold of RPG maker in the recent Humble Bundle so I'm learning as I go, but I have game making experience and I was always planning to make the game in this engine when I eventually started.

It's more of an adventure game, so there are no battles or stats, but it's quite compact and I think it should be pretty neat. There will be multiple branching story paths and endings and hopefully people will find the story interesting.

I'm using the stock assets at first because I am not an artist and I'm working alone but if anyone is interested in doing some art I would definitely be up for a collaboration!

PM me or Email me at: will@interlopergames.co.uk

Good luck everyone!

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2014
    Ratty524 and ?????? like this.
  2. Diego2112

Diego2112 The Gaming Gamer Who Games Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I like the sound of this-kind of inverts the trope of the Chosen Hero.  That makes me giggle.  Looking forward to seeing where this goes!

InterloperGames likes this.
  3. Paladin-Cleric of Awesome

Paladin-Cleric of Awesome Writer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    ok, so it's a bot like those fantasy books where the kid from our world ends up in the fantasy world and some how saves the day?

I've always wondered how one of those would work in a game... and if the Interloper is in that world... is the hero in the Interlopers?

That would be interesting. lol.

I wish you luck, and I'd love to see what the game is like at the end.

InterloperGames likes this.
  4. InterloperGames

First Language:
    English
    Thanks for the feedback guys!

Yeah, I'm definitely going for inverting common RPG tropes and cliches, so there will be lot's of generic names and a some references as well. The 'intended' story will be very generic, but that's obviously not how it's really going to happen ;)

Paladin, yeah it will be a bit like that, but I don't want to give too much away and there are still things I haven't quite decided on yet.

Screenshots aren't hugely useful because I'm using stock assets but I'll update my progress and reveal more story details along the way. I'll probably upload an early version before the competition is over so stay tuned for the link if you want to try it out!

5. InterloperGames

First Language:
    English
    OK, I thought I'd update my progress.

Development is going pretty smoothly, I'm making good time. It's definitely a lot faster being an adventure game without battles. I don't envy anyone making a proper RPG in a month! I've probably roughly mapped about two thirds of the game but I'm going to do a lot of polishing at the end, just trying to get it all out first. Dialogue is probably about a quarter done, some different options still to do and a lot of the dialogue will be closer to the end of the game.

Since there are no battles in the game, I've been working on some puzzle/challenge sections so that it's not only dialogue based. I've updated the post with a GIF of the first one you come across and more screenshots.

The story is solidifying more as well and I have made some good decisions, I think. There are still a few more things to work out though especially with the branching nature. It may not be as open as I intended because I want to make sure it is interesting, first and foremost, but there will still be different choices and outcomes.

6. InterloperGames

First Language:
    English
    Update #2

Moving along nicely!

I pretty much have a full version of the game all built now, with all the endings and most of the dialogue, so from now on I'm going to be tweaking things like the mapping and trying to make it look good. Also, revising the dialogue and adding a bit of monologue in the story-light sections.

I'll hopefully post a download link within the next few days, even if I'm not quite finished, so people can try it out if they want, and maybe I'll submit it early as well.

7. InterloperGames

First Language:
    English
    Interloper has been submitted!

The game is done, sort of... I didn't really get it to the standard I was hoping for, but the story and game is all there and that's the main thing. There are a few little things wrong, like repeated dialogue and a missing audio file game crash right at the end! But it happens after the game has finished, so it's not a disaster just a bit unfortunate. I only noticed after the deadline but oh well.

I will be continuing to work on this game whenever I get a chance in the future, so there should ultimately be a final version with original graphics and audio, and revised writing/story. This is not a priority for me because I'm going to be working on other things, but it will happen!

The submission page for the game is here or you can download it from my website: interlopergames.co.uk

I will now continue working on my puzzle game 'The Doppeganger' built in Unity, so check my website in the coming months for information about it's release.

Anyway, thanks to anyone who plays my game, I hope you enjoy it!

Will.

8. Indrah

Indrah Megane Berserker Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Your game links at the openign topic are broken. (the one in the contest page works, but you ahev two DOWNLOAD HERE buttons that dont work which is sorta offputting)

9. InterloperGames

First Language:
    English
    Fixed, thanks for pointing it out :)

10. Indrah

Indrah Megane Berserker Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Here's my very quick and sketchy take on the game (link for info on why it's so short and all that jazz)

+Intro is short.

-Game is broken (can’t advance)

-Making the player go back arbitrarily to get the same npc is ridiculous and not fun in any way.

-The town placed there breaks the pace (as it is). Having t show AFTER the king (I assume) gives you the quest would be better, I think.

-Mapping needs work, especially in the details section.

To the developer: First: the game is bugged and you can’t advance. The king will not trigger.

I could not see anything past that, so I have no idea of what the game is even aiming at. The idea of a modern person falling into a fantasy world isn’t new, so that bit isn’t exactly impressive.

There was nothing that jumped out to me as a great factor from what I could see so far, but considering the game was halted early, I can’t say much.

11. InterloperGames

First Language:
    English
    @Indrah

Hey Indrah, sorry you haven't been able to progress in the game, I admit it's a bit unpolished and mapping is pretty poor, but it was my first time working with RPG maker (I have other game dev experience).

The King actually isn't broken, you can still interact with him using the action button, it was just a compromise I made because for a possible future event he needed to not be solid and I never got around to fixing it.

I hope you give it another go, because I think the story is worth it and is not really what you assumed it's about. It was a worry of mine that people wouldn't get to the interesting stuff because the beginning of the game does make it seem a bit crap.

Thanks for taking the time to play it though, and I hope you give it another try and it improves your view of it. :)