Into the Abyss game DEMO

Discussion in 'Games In Development' started by zakattack1989, Mar 23, 2016.

1. zakattack1989

zakattack1989 Villager Member

First Language:
    english

title screen.png

INTO THE ABYSS-DEMO-

Story:

The game takes place in the kingdom of Vargan. A once flourishing and growing kingdom, it was hit by a unknown affliction they called the Abyss. Few people know how or why this curse infected Vargan, fewer are still alive to this day. The people of Vargan slowly started to loose their minds, people were attacked and killed, panic and chaos spread through out the streets. Your character has certain ties to Vargan and arrives on it's outskirts to uncover what happened there. You will journey to the centre of Vargan and save as many people as you can along the way. Your destination is castle Volstrum, the Abyss appears to have made it's home there. Your goal is to find answers and put an end to what is happening in Vargan but can you do it?

Demo Features:

• 1-2 hours of gameplay, depending on experience and depth of exploration!
    • 4 boss' plus an optional boss
    • ABS battle system battles are fought on the map
    • Auto save system saves in slot1 upon map entry
    • Khas awesome lighting
    • Stat levelling system (choose what stat to increase upon levelling up)
    • A few basic puzzles to warm up for the full version of the game
    • Triple triad card mini game available towards the end of the demo
    • Character creation system, make your hero unique!
    • New game+ the option to play through the demo again with stronger enemies
    • Enemies level with your character so the game is constantly challenging
    • & many more! All credit is given in the credits scene upon completion of demo (can choose to skip)

Characters

Player Character: This is you, your character lives outside of Vargan but has a connection to it that is slowly revealed through story and exploration. You must travel to the centre of Vargan to put an end to the plague that is the Abyss and to discover the answers your character is seeking. You are strong willed, and have trained in many forms of combat. You are determined and have a deep curiosity, a need to know as much as possible.

Dirige: A hooded old man who initially won't introduce himself, he may serve as a guide to those he (and many people) call Awakened. Even devoting a covenant in service of aiding and rewarding an Awakened. He is knowledgeable in what has transpired in Vargan, he knows where this Abyss has made it's home. He will provide some useful items from time to time.

Lisa & Misa: 2 servant girls who follow Dirige and recruit Awakened. They were raised and taught by Dirige, so they have an almost blind admiration of him. They seem rather shy and don't say a great deal, their encounters with people have been all too brief to develop the necessary social skills. They will reward Awakened for their progress into central Vargan.

Seraph: A large grey wolf, that may accompany you should you discover and equip an item. The wolf seems to like your player character and is very playful and protective around you. Should you give the command he will attack viciously at your enemy. The wolf has aged well but seems like he's past his peak form, this doesn't make him any less useful in battle though, he will lay down his life for you.

Janus: An Awakened who is stuck in the docks area. Is normally quite a upbeat person but has found himself extremely fatigued. He enjoys the company of other Awakened and gives you an item to summon him for boss battles. He is a brave warrior who has fought alongside Awakened in the centre of Vargan and beyond. He is travelling back to the outskirts to seek out Dirige.

Inspiration & closing notes

My inspirations for this game were drawn from the souls series and Zelda series, while trying not to rip them off completely and have my own twist on it. I wanted to create a challenging and fun game, one that feels familiar but is unique at the same time. I have play tested this demo myself many times, so it should be relatively bug free, any possible bugs are mentioned in a walkthough guide which should be included in the download file. (this walkthrough is not complete but it has all the important information required for a good start to the demo) I intend to complete the guide for the demo but also would like some feedback on the game before I get too into it. To see if it's even worth it... (I hope so, I have bee working on this game since January) So if anyone likes the sound of this game and would like to play through it that would be awesome. Also some feedback on this post about your playthrough would be great, so I know if there are any bugs I am missing or if there is areas in the game which could do with some improvement... Some constructive criticism basically.

I am also working on a website for a game studio I'm setting up with my twin and a friend. We all work on separate projects whilst giving help and advice to each other. So all games coming out of our studio should have their own feel to it and appeal to different people. We want to make games for a wide range of RPG gamers. The site links and information displayed in the demo title screen aren't operational yet so please ignore them for now.

Screen shots

screen shot.png

After defeating a boss

screen shot 2.png

This enemies lost his head ahahahah (not funny)

screen shot 3.png

I'm not putting my hand in no coffin!

screen shot 4.png

Everything is dangerous amongst the flora and fauna

screen shot 5.png

This is the stat levelling system!

screen shot 6.png

Triple triad card game from FF8 or Unity duel as it's called in my game :p

screen shot 7.png

Boss fight... Ugghh that damage!

Download demo here: Latest Version (fixed game crashing bug)

DOWNLOAD DEMO HERE!

The demo does not come with RTP data so you will need RPG MAKER VX ACE RTP in order to play this demo.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2016
  2. Wyrdist

Wyrdist LSDemon Member

First Language:
    English
    After playing the demo, here's what I can say.

What Needs Work:

• The file is pretty big for just a demo. Make sure you remove everything that isn't in use when making a demo.
    • Make sure you start the game with the character transparency off so the player doesn't appear for a second when I assume he isn't supposed to
    • When loading a save file, the custom character doesn't load immediately. He starts as the default until the map is switched
    • Too many surprise death traps. If this is an Action RPG, then interacting with stuff is a big part, and it's pretty annoying when a lot of random stuff (and I do mean random) just kills you.
    • Also, the death traps don't kill you instantly like they should. They just change your character graphic to "None" and this somehow allows you to walk around invisible for a few seconds before finally dying.
    • The first map with enemies isn't self explanatory in terms of where to go. If there's a transition event on the edge of a map, make sure it's on every empty tile next to it. You had two empty spaces at the end of the map and only one triggered a transition when touched, when it should have been both.
    • The game crashed after exiting that cave with the rats and fire traps. It happened twice. Something about a Game Interpreter.
    • Have you considered XAS ABS? While it requires a little more work, it does play better than the one you chose IMO (I forget the name). The attacks don't really feel secure if that makes any sense. (This one isn't your fault. Just saying)

On the Other Hand:

• Character Customization is handled well. It's really nice and simple, like Pokemon
    • The story (based on the description) doesn't sound overly complicated, which is a good thing at times.
    • The footstep sounds and dirt animations when dashing is a really nice feature
    • Good use of lighting effects
    • I especially liked how non-linear the place was
    • While not a great ABS in my opinion, using one is a good thing IMO, since it required more work and customization than just making a standard turn-based game
    • The concept you have for your title screen is good, but the option graphics (New Game and stuff) kind of don't fit the Logo, which kind of doesn't fit the screen itself. Try requesting one on these forums.

I can't say much other than that since I only got around 10 minutes of gameplay before the crash. A lot of what I said requires a visual or something so it can make sense but nah, I'm lazy. Overall, just do a lot of testing before releasing something. In fact, get multiple testers if you can. I'd be more than willing to if you'd want.

zakattack1989 likes this.
  3. zakattack1989

First Language:
    english
    Hey Wyrdist thanks for taking the time out to play my demo. Sorry for the game crash I know what the issue was, I tried to implement shadows and reflections to the game but it caused bad lag so I had to get rid of it, an event was still trying to do a script call so that issue has been rectified.

The title screen thing with the "new game" "continue" etc.. I see how you mean it doesn't fir with the look of the game, I am just waiting for my twin to make replacements (he is my artist lol). Also yes, the file size is very big I will work on making it smaller.

About the instant death traps hahaha I'm sorry I did try to warn people but I guess they are too frequent so I will take a few of them out. The character graphics issue can be fixed by going into the menu screen and go into any of the menu options like equipment then just backing out, you do not need to wait for a map transfer. The reason this pops up is because the game needs to have an initial starting part member which is the default guy, I'm not sure how to get around this problem as I'm not an experienced scripter or anything, hopefully it isn't too much of an issue.

I also took what you said about the map transfer being on every tile and have changed it also the thing about transparency at the start of the game has been changed.

I have used XAS before and you're right it's harder to use and harder to put custom sprites and weapons from the icon set ect. it does run more smoother with attack animations and pixel movement etc. at this point I have a lot of things set up for pearl ABS and it would take a long time to change everything to suit XAS, so I will save it for another project. (Pearl ABS can be a bit clunky I tried to make it interesting still with every weapon having it's own kind of combo)

Oh and the turning invisible upon death and the wait was intentional to let the player wallow in despair for a few seconds, I didn't know you could still move around though so that's an issue I will fix.

I hope this hasn't put you off playing the updated version of the demo which I will upload real soon once I reduce the file size a bit. Sorry it's taken me a while to get back I live in the UK so the time difference can get messy loool. I appreciate all the points you brought up and will look to fix any remaining issues.

Thanks again for the review and for taking the time to play, hopefully you will enjoy the updated version a lot more.

4. zakattack1989

First Language:
    english
    Okay so the download link should have the updated version of the demo, so it should be slightly longer than 10 mins lool ... again please if any bugs are found that haven't been mentioned please notify me I will fix it as soon as I'm able. There is a guide included in the demo(not complete) but you should have a look at it, it contains some helpful info. Even if you don't want to follow the walkthrough, there is still some important things to read.

Thank you to anyone who has stopped and had a look at this game and even more thanks to those who have took the time out to give it a go.

5. Wyrdist

Wyrdist LSDemon Member

First Language:
    English
    About the custom sprite issue, you should probably ask the creator of the script about that. I'm sure there's some way to work around it, since every game uses a load feature in some way, shape or form. I completely understand about the switching ABS thing. I've done something similar, with my project originally using Schala by Moghunter, I ended up switching to the more interesting LMBS. I'm going to try out the updated demo now though

6. zakattack1989

First Language:
    english
    Yeah I will send an e-mail to the script writer maybe he can resolve the issue. I know a few people aren't into an ABS system but I find it more interesting than the standard front facing or side view battle systems. (some side views are awesome if done right) I have tried the LMBS and I enjoyed MOGs demo of the script, so I can't wait to see what ou do with it. I am in need of some game testers and I see you volunteered yourself earlier... so if the offer is still up then I will include you in the credits scene if you're interested?

7. Wyrdist

Wyrdist LSDemon Member

First Language:
    English
    Very true indeed. I'm still willing to be a tester. Just message me about that. Also, there was another crash at the church after entering the area with the cleared fog. It also crashes when you try to talk to a torch with the light effect around it. I really like the dialogue though. One small thing though, you spelled the word "occupied" wrong. I think it's from the merchant.

8. zakattack1989

First Language:
    english
    Oh wow sorry my bad, some of the torches were still trying to call a script that no longer exist. I have updated again lool hopefully this doesn't become a habit. Thanks for liking the dialogue and pointing out the spelling error which has also been corrected :p  The hooded man is a guide/aid/merchant a real utility person lol hopefully there aren't too many spelling errors. (spellcheck for rpg maker vx ace would be nice lol)

Thanks also for having the patience to re-download and play my demo appreciate it man.

9. zakattack1989

First Language:
    english
    Okay so for the most part I have fixed all known bugs in the latest version of the demo the link has been changed.(this took quite afew re-uploads lol) I have played the version of the game the download gives you, the screen shots came from my playthrough. So yeah hopefully this demo runs quite smoothly now, if any one finds any bugs please let me know. The only game crashing bug I know of is if you press the "P" key, this is because I removed the character selection part of pearl ABS script because this game is essentially single player but you can still have help with boss battles. The "P" key is not use for anything in the game it will just make it crash and burn you have been warned!