Intra Mundum (Demo available)

Discussion in 'Games In Development' started by Galenmereth, May 15, 2013.

1. Galenmereth

Galenmereth I thought what I'd do was Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    [​IMG]

New alpha version coming very soon!
    The previous version of the game was very outdated (it was from June, and a ton has happened since...) I'm not entirely ready with the new alpha version, but in not too long I'll have it ready with all the new things in it. Stay tuned.

Introduction

Hello everyone. I'm new to these parts, but decided to drop by since I'm working on a story-heavy RPG in RPG Maker VXAce. I'm used to making my own game engines from scratch, but once I started this project I quickly realized it would take me a long time before I would get the engine up to the standard that is necessary to make my idea work. I remembered having used RPG Maker 2003 way way back, and thought "why not" as I downloaded the trial. I've been working on the game itself for about a week now (the story and setting is much older), and I'm really happy with the progress so far. RPG Maker VXAce fit my ideas perfectly.

But so far I've only played it by myself and had a few people try it, and I figure it's time I get some feedback from a broader range of people, both on the concept and execution. I'd love to hear your opinions on the game so far!
    Setting
    The story is set in a fictional world called Orbis. Geographically it is based on some of the same principles as our world (north is cold and south is warm), but its layout is completely different. In the time the story takes place, humanity is on the brink of an industrial revolution. Industrialism and science has triumphed as the driving force of the modern world, and a great central empire has risen above all to usher mankind towards a new age.

This central empire is called Anteris Senturum, meaning “the central pillar of man”. Remarkably efficient at trade and economy, and with a large army to defend its borders, it has annexed most of its neighbouring countries and brought them under their influence. As a plutocracy it is governed by a wealthy elite of Councilors that answer only to the Emperor himself. The Emperor is treated as a man bestowed with holy favor by the gods; Emperors are chosen through a sacred rite and not through lineage, although for the past two generations the emperors have come from the same family. The people of Anteris Senturum have known peace for almost three hundred years. Despite it now being in open war with several rebellious neighbouring countries, war has never reached the country’s own borders; nobody has yet been able to reach it with any army.

In the east, the major country is Senta Johi. While it does trade with Anteris Senturum and a few other western countries, it is very reclusive and a mystery to most people in the west.

CalendarIn the world of Orbis, there are different calendars in use. Most western countries follow the calendar of the Avos (forefathers, founders), a civilization that left behind a great deal of knowledge inscribed on stone tablets and other artifacts. From these artifacts, humans learned about measuring the passage of time by observing the stars, and eventually scholars determined that it had been over three thousand years since the Avosi started counting time. At the time of this story, the year is 4320. When using the Avosi calendar, years are referred to as AO (after origin).

In the east, countries generally follow the calendar of the Shén. The Shén are their guiding spirits, or gods, who come in all shapes and forms. It is believed everything has a Shén – even inanimate objects – that represents the pure essence of its origin. In accordance with their history, they count time since the Shén first came to Orbis. At the time of this story, the year in the Shén calendar is 7820.

The northern countries, though of different faith, follow the Avos calendar. They see time as cyclical and their faith therefore does not count years, but they follow the Avos calendar for practical reasons.

In the south and south-east, people mainly follow the calendar of Avos for practical reasons as well. Their dominant faith counts years from the event called the “Great Sacrifice”, which by tracing the age through the generations of people spoken of in their holy texts, happened 1324 years ago at the time of this story.

Countries
    AnterisAnteris is an empire formed by the prophet Athaos Kifaios in the year 3890 AO. Together with a large group of refugees from wars in the south, he founded Anteris and slowly developed it into a small port town. As a port town, it eventually started trading by sea with foreign countries. Over time, more and more refugees from wars all over Orbis ended up in Anteris, populating it and contributing in developing it from a small town into a large city. In the year 3949, the prophet Athaos Kifaios died to an illness of the heart. But he left behind the religion of Ortuism, delivered to him through visions. Over the years Anteris grew ever larger, also generating a large army to defend its borders. Eventually the country started annexing neighbour countries by way of trade, military might and politics, but never with any direct confrontation of armies. In the year 4280, the current emperor of Anteris, Theroos Inaios, proclaimed the northern continent of Vetust under rule of Anteris. He decreed that from now on, Vetust would be known as Anteris, and the great city formerly called Anteris would be its capital, named Anteris Senturum.

Faiths 
    Ortuism
    The most widespread faith is Ortuism, which originated from the country of Anteris Senturum. It teaches that all men are children of the gods, and that all men are born into an image of one of the twelve. These twelve are seen as blueprints for a perfect composition of society, and all twelve kinds of people must be in balance to please the gods.

Bellator: The warrior god.
    Artifex: The artist god.
    Lignarius: The carpenter god.
    Arator: The farmer and cultivator god.
    Domina: The god of mothers.
    Dominus: The god of lords and those that may govern others.
    Repertum: The god of ingenuity and invention. Also seen as the good of science.
    Relatus: The god of knowledge and stories.
    Latro: The god of servants.
    Lupa: The god of prostitutes.
    Malificus: The god of liers and criminals. Nobody is born in the image of this god, but if a person is found guilty of a crime, it is believed that Malificus clouded the priest’s vision upon the person’s Judgment.
    Ortus: The god of origin. Only the Emperor is born in his image.

A person is judged and his alignment decided six moons after birth by a representative of the Emperor himself. These representatives are called Visions, and are treated as avatars of the Emperor.

Story synopsis
    You will take on the role of Leonard Atem and Elena Tures. After their fates became entwined by an event six months prior, you will have to travel the world to seek out someone who might help you solve their predicament. You will switch between the physical world and an alternate realm called the “Incorporalis”, which can best be described as "abstract potential". This is a metaphysical space that is not so much another world as a version of reality where your characters' subjective experiences and the external experiences of everything else in the world are merged together and hard to distinguish.

As humanity stands on the brink of an enormous change in its approach to industrialism, the hearts of the people are at disarray. Some cherish this evolution while others curse it. Most are just too busy with making ends meet from day to day to have reflected too much on the path humanity is taking, but the common factor amongst all is that the people now - more than ever - differ in their views on the world. This climate will affect you in the physical world, where you will bear witness to events ranging from small and seemingly minor personal stories to major political events, but it will also have a big impact on the alternate realm and your travels there.

The story's heart and soul is to explore the melancholy of entropy.

Gameplay
    The gameplay will consist of exploration, abstract puzzles and combat. The combat system is turn based and focuses heavily on strategy rather than the common "rock/paper/scissor" approach. In fact, there are no elemental weaknesses in this game; elemental attacks instead cause debuffs, so that their usage is not dependent on weaknesses or resistances.
    For an introduction of three of the classes in the game, please see here: Battle introduction post.

Characters
    From what I understand there is some stigma associated with using default resources that come bundled with the software. In light of this, I want to make it clear that I chose the following characters on the basis of my character profiles. As I developed and wrote the dialogue their faces naturally affected the tone of voice I used for them, so I have ended up growing quite more fond of them than I had initially thought. Because of that I may or may not change them over time. If I do change them it will likely be adjustments to personalize them some.

Please try to leave behind any old associations you might have with these portraits as you read on :)  Also keep in mind that the character profiles here are summaries and leave out information that is essential to the story in the game. This is because the personal journey and the memories the characters will share during the game are important to presenting the story.

leonard_atem.png
    Leonard Atem
    A former ranger of the Crimson Order, Leonard Atem fell to an unknown illness of the mind while on a mission with his partner, Elena Tures. Leonard was one of the highest standing with the order, carrying the venerable title of Crimson Sword, a title only allowed the most respected rangers. His background and upbringing is a secret to the world. He carries the scars that follow in the wake of being robbed of one's childhood, raised as a tool and not as a person. He is seen as an introverted strategist, and is known for elaborate stratagems.
    elena_tures.png
    Elena Tures
    As the partner of Leonard Atem, Elena Tures is also a former ranger of the Crimson Order. Nicknamed the "Iron Maiden", Elena is usually a woman of few words. Hers is the way of action, preferring to "do now" rather than postulate and prepare. Her partnership with Leonard was decided upon based on the mutual benefits it would bestow on them on their missions; Leonard's introverted and analytical nature was a perfect counterbalance to Elena's straightforwardness in battle. But do not make the assumption that Elena is all brawn; beneath her iron facade lies a deep knowledge only afforded to those that have killed innumerable times – and understand that life must sometimes be bought with death.
    bernard_piertser.png
    Bernard Piertser
    Scholar and longtime friend of Elena Tures and her family, Bernard Piertser is a man who considers himself the lifetime student of humanity. Mainly focusing on anthropology and the associated fields of wisdom, Bernard is an advisor to the council of Anteris Senturum. However, in later years he fell on ill terms with some of the council members. Sensing that his life might be in danger, he chose to move back to his childhood home, the small town of Parvos in the country of Egris. Here he continues his studies while serving as the village "wise man", helping the township in whatever way he can.
    elise.png
    Elise
    Abandoned as a child, she grew up on the streets of Anteris Senturum. Blessed – or perhaps cursed – with outward beauty, she found her way into the pleasure houses of the District of Commerce at a young age. Such a life obviously puts a dark and heavy burden on a child's mind, but Elise knew no life of freedom prior to this. Her life reflected the common saying; "A starving man is a slave to his flesh". As such, having a roof over her head and access to a good meal every day, for Elena this was an improvement over living on the streets. She soon realized that men share the most peculiar secrets when the lights are dimmed and the curtains closed, and in this way she gained much knowledge about the world and the people that rule it.

Not long after her fifteenth nameday, a great fire swept over the District of Commerce, and in the chaos and looting that ensued her master was murdered in front of her. Upon seeing the lust in the eyes of a man empowered by violence, Elise ran for her life. She ran until the world went dark, and when she awoke she found herself outside the city gates. Not knowing where to go, with barely any clothes on her back, she stumbled down the broad main road with no destination. But as luck would have it – and you'd be forgiven to think that luck had abandoned her for good – she was found by a travelling elder scholar, who took her in and offered her the means to start a new life in the small town where he had his home, a place where nobody knew of her past. But to her, freedom was an empty word. Having seen the frailty of his age, she wanted to stay with the scholar and help him in return for his kindness.

With no name of her own, she assumed the first name of the scholar's only child, whom he had lost to war: Elise Piertser.
    ajenil_ixesix.png
    Ajenil Ixesix
    The only remaining council member of Anteris Senturum who still confers with Bernard Piertser. A noblewoman with a mixed heritage, her mother is a common woman from Senta Johi in the east, while her father and his family is nobility living in the Upper District of Anteris Senturum. Ajenil Ixesix is a shrewd woman, and she takes great pleasure in political intrigue. Her family name was stained the moment her father brought a commoner – and from the east, considered even worse – into the family, and Ajenil had to work especially hard to further her career. Maybe because of her mixed heritage, she has garnered much love from the common people, something that is rare for a council member. Many look to her in hopes of change.

Screenshots
    It is difficult to take screenshots of the first part of the game without spoiling some key storyline elements, but here are a few that give you a meager glimpse into a few areas.[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Script credits
    Big thanks go out to the following scripters and their scripts:

Yanfly – For a lot of scripts
    Galv – Move Route Extras
    Craze – Elemental Merger
    Yami – Yami Engine Symphony
    Victor – Victor Engine: Base, Light, Fog
    That's it for now. I will be updating this with information about cities, towns and countries very soon. In the meantime, please check out the demo or ask me about the world or its characters if they interest you. I'm looking forward to hearing your feedback.

Have a great day!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2013
    Kyriaki likes this.
  2. Galenmereth

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Over the last couple of days I've added a lot of extra information, screenshots and updated and changed a lot in the work in progress demo. So I thought I should bump this thread since it already fell a bit behind due to spending a few days in "approval quarantine". I hope that this is acceptable :)

3. Galenmereth

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Here's the first big "small" town I'm working on, which is called Brebourne. I'm not 100% decided on the water type I want yet (if I want the combo of shallow/deep that I've gone for mainly, or the deep only you can see in the pond.) Going to polish this up some more with minor details, but feedback on the layout is welcome.

Large image:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2013
  4. C-C-C-Cashmere

C-C-C-Cashmere Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I'd explore the heck out of this town. Downloading the demo right now, and I'll give you my feedback after I've played it.

5. Korros

Korros Mage of Procastination Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    How do you get the screenshots for the whole map (I mean the big ones)?

6. C-C-C-Cashmere

First Language:
    English
    Pros:

• I like how you get straight into the game.
    • Wow. You can't escape the hole until you observe the skeleton. Nice.
    • Climbing out of your own grave. How poetic.
    • Some really poetic and awesome descriptions
    • Ready to roam the full map already. Ooh, exciting!
    • The town loops. WTF?
    • Moody music btw (for town)
    • It's satisfying discovering items and their worth
    • Dark ambience
    • Professional animations when that purple thing blew up
    • I like the romance between the two main leads though. "I love you." that was memorable :)
    • Oh wow! The moment when she looked into the mirror and they switched worlds. That was intense!
    • Finally, I can save! :D
    • The in-game conversations are really cool and help immersion

Cons:

• I don't like how observations are based on player touch. I ran into the skeleton, and the message whizzed by too quickly.
    • Most of the doors are locked, why can't I explore?
    • Can't save yet though... :(
    • You should change your message windowskin though. looks kinda stink
    • It's kinda melodramatic with the woman you don't want to reveal everything at once ;)
    • I already know he's in some kind of coma or dead. thanks a lot :I
    • OK he's in a coma :( (
    • When Leonard talks to her, I think she should deny it, to try and hide it. that's what I'd do
    • and of course, the old man shouldn't believe her straight away: "this is incredible!"
    • Urgh... the side-view of the slime isn't the right size. but i guess you're gonna change that :I
    • The "opening the window" part of switching worlds was weird and unceremonious
    Well, overall it was a memorable experience that I think will be improved by a little bit of script re-detailing, changing the windowskin and other things. Overall, it's a fun ride and I really enjoyed it. Thanks.

7. Ratty524

Ratty524 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I'd say the only thing that I kind of dislike about what I see is that the town seems a bit blown out of proportion for my tastes. Still, this game looks nicely presented, and I'll give your demo a shot.

8. Galenmereth

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thanks for the feedback guys! I'm going to go through your posts one by one :)

I'm using Omegas7's map saver script for that: http://www.rpgmakervx.net/index.php?showtopic=28578

Wow, thanks for the detailed post! I really appreciate you taking the time to type all of that out. I'm going to address the cons one by one; I'm really glad to hear about the pros and will take those into consideration too  :)

• Observation based on player touch: This is something I'm not entirely sure about myself yet, but the reason I've done it so far is because I personally really dislike having to press an action button umpteen times per minute to observe/study my environment. I'm the kind of guy who likes to search every little nook and cranny in rpg's, and I often find myself wishing I wouldn't have to press the action button all the time to do it. I've got some positive feedback on this from some other testers; they enjoyed being able to bump into objects to activate them. I'll definitely have to see what more people say about this :)
    • Locked doors: If you mean the doors in the first town, it's meant as a symbolic stop: Leonard isn't ready to leave yet. You'll be happy to know I'll try to keep the amount of locked doors to a minimum in the "real" world.
    • Not being able to save: I'll look into this. You are able to save once you get to the mirror scene; is that perhaps too long to wait for the option? I had to disable save during the event heavy scenes because I found the save sometimes glitched the timings, which was not so cool.
    • Message window skin will be changed, and I'll design a custom one. For now I'm just so absorbed in writing and world building that I haven't gotten there yet :)
    • Melodrama: This was a big gamble. I've tried cutting it to a minimum without cutting away important exposition. How off-putting would you say the melodrama felt?
    • About these next two points I'm not entirely sure what you mean; do you find the reveal that he's in a coma too slow?
    • Regarding coma: Is the coma part of the story a con, or the presentation of it? :)
    • When Leonard talks to Elena the first time: I am aware this is pretty untypical, and many people - if not most - wouldn't want or be able to accept it immediately. What I had hoped at this point was to present the feeling that Elena really wants him back - in any way. So she has become willing to accept anything at this point.
    • The old man believing Elena immediately: This is a tricky part, and I have some new dialogue after the mirror scene that makes it a bit more obvious. Bernard has known Elena since she was born; there is great trust in them. I build on this later on, but I understand that this complete trust in - and belief of - her words seems really off. Do you feel it is too off-putting, or do you feel that it also makes you want to know "why does he believe her so easily?". Because it will be explained, but it was hard to explain it beforehand without some really "boring" expositions :)
    • Side-view of the slimes: I will modify these if I keep the side-view style; I'm not entirely sure yet. I'll probably also redraw the slimes themselves. Thanks for pointing it out.
    • "Opening the window" part of switching worlds; you're right, it does feel a bit off. The intention is for it to feel out of place, but I should add some kind of feedback to make it less flat.
    Again, thank you very much for the time you took in writing this. I'd love to hear your answers to some of my questions if you get the chance :)

By blown out of proportion, do you mean that it seems too big to be a "realistic" village? This is meant to be a pretty wealthy village, and the mansion belongs to a rich man who's helped out the village a lot after he moved there. So there is backstory to it that you'll be able to puzzle together when playing :)

Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2013
  9. C-C-C-Cashmere

First Language:
    English
    Some part of the touch-to-observe mechanic has me feeling like this is a well-polished game. But it's the times when you run into an object, then it displays a one-line message (like in the skeleton example near the beginning), and then it cancels itself and you keep moving. It takes me out of the immersion of the game because it feels like the developer's made a mistake.

It'd be cool if some doors said "I can't open the door, it's wedged shut" to kind of have the feeling that it's supernaturally shut or something. The problem that I feel with this is that I remember the cliche of a lot of RPG games using locked doors because they're lazy as developers to make interiors, and that breaks immersion. Perhaps coming up with other reasons that aren't familiar are better.

I just felt the way you dealt with exposing he was in a coma was too obvious. You could have been a bit more subtle. However, I also know that it's very hard to balance matters such as this to make it not cheesy -- it's just a case of writing. If you can re-write that portion to make it better, then do so, otherwise if it's worse, then keep it how it is. What it is now serves the purpose of the story, but it could be improved.

Yeah I didn't really believe the part where the old man was like: "she heard voices? she must not be lying". And then the lady says "it can't be true", and the old man says "look into her eeyyyyyeeeeees". It just seemed really unbelievable and I couldn't suspend disbelief that these two would believe so readily that she was talking to the ghost of the dead dude.

What I imagined it would go like is this. She hears the voice of the dude, and then becomes shocked. The two ask her what she was talking to, and she says "nothing". The woman continues to think she's having delusions about the man, but the old man is not as harsh to her about it. Something about the old man trusts the woman, but doesn't fully believe that she's talking to the man in the coma yet, even though she hasn't told him. There's some part of him that seems knowing and understanding of her plight.

When she faints, the old man nurses her, and during the period where we can't see him, he is thinking about events and coming to conclusions. He arrives at the fact that the woman might in fact have heard the coma'd man's voice, purely from the hints he saw earlier. However, he doesn't fully trust that it's true yet. He has reason in his past to believe so, though. The other woman (who's not in love with the coma'd man) doesn't believe her at all, and believes that she's just wanting to believe it's true.

Something like that would be a bit more subtle, but that's just the way that I'd write the story.

It would be a nicer transition if when you opened the window, then it displayed some sound effects, waited for about 120 frames, just to show that what you have done was important. And then have him say something like "Aah, my eyes!". Then continue on. Just an event that's a one-timer that's enough to signify that what you've just done is important.

Overall, I love the game and am looking forward to it being developed further. If you need any help, I'm here.

10. Galenmereth

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Ah, like that. You're right, that's not good. I think perhaps adding a slight delay before you can dismiss the message might fix that. I'll experiment :)

Gotcha, excellent point that. I'll work on that and find a way to fix those door messages; if it hadn't been "my" game, I would definitely feel the exact same way.

I'll look into that. I'm going through all the writing in waves from the bottom up in between writing new story elements and creating environments; it's so easy to become "blind" to your own writing because – at lest for me – you often put more meaning into a few words than is really there. I assume this is a dilemma for most writers :) Based on your feedback I'll scrutinize those parts when I go through it again.

I'll also take a good look at the old man's reaction, and I think I'd like to rewrite bits of it after reading your alternative way of doing it. I have some completed scenes that take place after the mirror world that build on that kind of mood, so I think it would be good to change it some :)

Thanks again for the great feedback! I'll keep posting updates here when I have new chunks of content to go through.

11. Ratty524

Ratty524 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    By realistic standards its fine. From gameplay standards, though, you'd need to have quite a lot to explore within that village or at least provide an incentive for it to be maze-like and big. If there are stuff to explore and puzzles, though, than your map is fine.

It's mostly a personal preference, as other people like this town design. I'm just a relatively impatient player who prefers to get to the point and not waste any time. I still need to see it in practice, though.

Galenmereth likes this.
  12. Galenmereth

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Good point. What I want to do is to have people and sidequests/objectives that reveal information about the world that is non-essential to the main story, but which may also reward the player with tangible benefits (gold, items, etc). But I hear you on the maze like design; the idea is that if you follow the road, you'll get led to the exit on the bottom west side (which I ought to increase in size I realize). It shouldn't take too much trial and error to find it. Personally I don't mind getting slightly lost in towns in games – makes them feel more "real" to me – as long as I can find the exit relatively quickly if that's what I want. Would you agree on that? :)

Ratty524 likes this.
  13. C-C-C-Cashmere

First Language:
    English
    I like the free-roaming nature of the town. It's a pretty big town, and sometimes I like getting lost in exploration. I'm an exploring kind of player, wanting to find out every nook and cranny. I guess you've got to cater to both crowds here :)

Galenmereth likes this.
  14. Galenmereth

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm the same, so the game will definitely be designed with exploration in mind. But I also personally dislike if exploration feels forced; I want it to be something I decide to do or not. So I'll try and satisfy both of those elements, so that exploration is encouraged but not required. I've implemented a journal, for example, so that the player will have somewhere to check on the latest story progression and hints to where to go next, as it's easy to forget such things if you go off the beaten path :)

As an aside, I've been reworking the window graphics. I'm pretty much done sans a few text adjustments in the equip screen. I also want to see if I can modify the default arrows there. I've uploaded a new build with more content and earlier dialogue rewrite and polish. The new window design is also in, and the town is explorable (but not with any content as of now). Check the top of the first post for the download link.

Here are some screenshots of the new window design:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2013
  15. m4uesviecr

m4uesviecr Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    After reading a few of the posts, I had to stop (with the large amount of spoilers in them).

I really love how in depth your lore goes! I decided to try my had at your demo once I get the chance!

I'll try to leave feedback accordingly.

16. Galenmereth

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thanks, looking forward to your feedback. If you want more lore, I just updated the first post with more information about calendars, countries and the setting :)

17. Galenmereth

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    A little update on my progress: For the past week I've been working on something "boring" (not to me, though), which is a modular HUD script for RPG Maker VX Ace. The reason is that while there's a lot of HUD scripts out there, and I could've made my own the "simple" way (make it specifically for my purpose), changing it underways and adding new elements would be quite a bit of work. What I wanted was a modular, configurable and performance-friendly framework for me to use to make HUD's that truly customizable.

What I've come up with works really well so far and has great performance. A rundown of features so far:

• Modular: You create modules which are collections of objects. An object is a text area, progress bar or a picture resource. A module would be a portrait of a hero, with a name text field, hp numbers and a hp bar.
    • Layouts: A layout is a collection of modules that you can place wherever you want on the screen. For example a list of party members and their hp and portraits.
    • Snap placement: The script has 9 predefined snap placements for layouts (top left/center/right; middle left/center/right; and bottom left/center/right). More are easily configurable.
    • Padding: Layout padding, module padding, object padding. Defaults and per-use settings.
    • Stacking: Objects and modules can auto stack, meaning they will automatically align next to each other. You can configure them to stack horizontally or vertically, and mix the stack types in a layout. If one module or object changes size, the others adjust their position accordingly.
    • Smart parameter subscription: If you set the value of an object to variables (either Game Variables or object variables like player HP), an object becomes "dynamic", and updates itself whenever its subscribed parameters change.
    • Configurable parameter listen interval: Default is every 5 frame (12 updates per second)
    So far, static and dynamic text fields are implemented, and I'm almost done with progress bars. After that, I'll add picture support and an optional "fancy" effects addon which can be run at a frame interval independent of the update interval (for shining effects on progress bars, hp low alert glows and so forth).

I will of course make the script publicly available when ready, and it will be free for non-commercial use. I haven't decided on commercial usage yet. I know this update isn't strictly about my game, but my game will make heavy use of this script; it's the reason I made it, after all :)

In addition to this, I'm almost done with a custom battle system that is real-time and – if I may say so myself – a ton of fun to play with. I'll post once I have something you can try out. Here's a very prototype-y sneak peak:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2013
  18. Baka-chan

Baka-chan ☆*:.。. o(≧▽≦)o .。.:*☆ Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Tried to download the demo - 404 :/

19. Galenmereth

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
  20. Galenmereth

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Update: New battle system

I'm nearing completion on the core framework for the new battle system. Once the final pieces are in place, I'll be releasing a new test version so people can try it out.

The reason I completely changed the battle system from the turn based one I had originally planned is that I don't want to implement grinding in my game. Instead combat is primarily skill based – dodging, blocking and attacking at the right moments, while observing the foe. You will be able to equip weapons, shields, armor and accessories, but there are no levels and growth of stats. My goal is to make items relevant as strategic choices, not something you throw out just because you've reached a level where they are no longer relevant. To make this work, items will have benefits and drawbacks. Heavy armor has higher defence but slows you down (sprinting with heavy armor depletes stamina quicker), more powerful weapons might require more initiative to use and so on. This is still something I'm working on and planning out, but the idea is that I want to reward the player with tangible benefits and items that are interesting strategically.

Regarding the core battle system, here's how it'll work:

Battle system core principles

Battles take place in their own area – that is, you bump into an enemy and get transported to a battle "arena". In here battles are 1 on 1 and in real time. However, you do not move your character around; you have access to 4 skills based on your equipment; attack, special attack, defend and dodge. Defend becomes a parry move (or something else) depending on your off-hand equipment. You have a set amount of "initiative"; each skill uses 1 initative except for Special attacks, which use 3.

The key to battles is to use the right moves at the right time; the enemy will attack, defend, dodge or parry at semi-randomized intervals with an AI system in place. You'll have to observe and attack when the enemy's guard is down, block or dodge when they attack, or spend a lot of initiative on a special attack when the timing is right.

Different enemies will have different attacks and behaviors. While I only have one enemy type right now, the system is set up so that I can make a lot of different kinds of custom AI's. Plans include heavily armored enemies which must be attacked when their guard is down for any damage, slow but heavy hitting enemies where blocks are not as effective (you'll take damage even when blocking), ranged enemies that are super quick with their attacks, and more.

Initiative resource

The initiative resource is always full when you start a battle. It refills over time based on your equipment (pistols allow quicker initative recharge than swords, for example). I'm also considering taking armor and weapon weight into account.

You start out with 4 initiative. Certain moves will refund initiative if they are succesfull, like the Dodge move. If you dodge but the enemy doesn't attack (or you get hit because your timing wasn't right) then the initative cost is lost as normal. However, if you succesfully dodge an attack, a SFX is heard, you take no damage and the initiative cost is returned to you. Dodges have a much smaller effect window than blocks to make up for this.

Current moves / skills

Sword

• Normal attack: Elena jumps forward and attacks with the sword. If the enemy uses a blade weapon and attack at the same time as Elena, the attack is parried and neither take any damage.
    • Special attack: Elena jumps backwards and becomes temporarily invincible as she charges up and rushes forward with lightning speed, pierching the enemy. This attack is unblockable and does a lot of damage.
    Gun

• Normal attack: Elena fires a quick shot at the enemy. Misses if the enemy is moving. Has quick downtime and doesn't leave Elena open to attacks for long.
    • Special attack: Elena jumps backwards and becomes temporarily invincible as she charges up and shoots three explosive bullets at the enemy. These then explode and cause a lot of damage.

Default moves

• Block: If a shield is equipped in the off-hand slot, Elena can use a Block move. This blocks light to medium attacks completely for a short time, and halves damage of heavy attacks.
    • Dodge: Elena dodges quickly, evading any move if timed right. Also returns the spent initiative if succesful.