Featherbrain

Prehistoric Gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've posted here for a year or so--at first only for my own information and requests, but over time I've found myself interacting more, checking in regularly, getting to know some of you and your games, and trying to give back where I can. It's nice having a place to commiserate the trials of RPG development.

So, I might as well officially introduce myself.

Hello! I'm Featherbrain!

I'm a writer guy in my mid-30s living in the eastern United Fail-States. As a certified ancient gamer, some of my earliest memories are playing my dad's Atari 2600, or my uncle's NES, both of which were eventually gifted to me. I really came of age in the 16-bit era, though, when I owned both a SNES and Genesis. To me this will always represent the golden age of gaming and my own youth, so it's a big inspiration.

For the most part, I only played games, rarely dreaming of creating them. My creative efforts went toward writing instead. My only real foray into game design came in the form of DMing for Dungeons and Dragons campaigns and creating written, forum-based RPGs; I made a good one that captivated my friend group for most of our teens.

Then came a guy named Don Miguel (we are allowed to talk about this, right? XD) and a program called RPG Maker 95+. I spent hours making games, from serious projects involving my story ideas or forum RPG characters, to silly things about my pets. I remember editing a swaying belly onto the default cat sprites to more accurately reflect my own cat's chonk. Good times. Of course, all those old projects were unfinished and long-since lost... RIP.

I blinked, and years passed. Some time in 2019, on a whim, I picked up all the RPG Makers from a Humble sale and asked my wife, a fellow ancient gamer, "Want to make a game?"

Raptor Revolt

At the time, we were hooked on Ark: Survival Evolved. And I'd just finished building a chicken coop for our new backyard chickens--or "yard raptors" as we call them. These two elements formed the core inspiration for our game concept: a survival RPG about smart, talking, feathered raptors, with characters and behaviors inspired by our chickens. Something like "Watership Down" but with raptors!

I knew that our project would be a challenge. For one, almost none of the default RPG Maker resources would work for this concept, nor would the content generators--we are making dinosaurs, not humans. We made the decision early on to develop our own original resources anyway to the fullest extent possible. Thus, a lot of our time has been spent on creating everything from sprite animations to musical compositions to foley sound effects. Many of the basic systems also have taken a long time to get in place.

Over the last year, though, we've slowly built momentum on the project, to the point where things are finally coming together into something like a prototype that I could give to someone and say, "Look, it's a game, not just a collection of files or demo maps."

Anyway, this has become a bit of a ramble, so in closing I'm going to post some of the first shots of the game! Stay tuned, I'll post a bigger first look soon.

Thank you for welcoming me to this community!

wLSh0Ku.png

9pglPTa.jpg

tnU4FDX.png

rEnGF8n.png

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
welcome to the community, not that I have seen you much, but the game looks nice.
I hope you enjoyed this forum and the request you gave re fullfiled nicely :)

also hope to see more on this game you work on, have a wonderfull time on the forum :)

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Featherbrain We don't allow members to have multiple accounts. We can ban your old account or we can ban this one and you can change your name on the old one.

mephet

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Your game looks awesome! :) Also, big respect for choosing such an original setting & committing to making the assets yourselves!

Featherbrain

Prehistoric Gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thank you all for the warm regards!

@Featherbrain We don't allow members to have multiple accounts. We can ban your old account or we can ban this one and you can change your name on the old one.

I honestly have no idea what you mean... but please don't ban this account! I'm not aware of any other account that is associated with my email or IP address, so if there is such, it's ancient, like me. If you're going to ban one, don't ban this one.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

I just lost an hour plus of time to trying to modify the _battlefield sprite... when in reality MZ calls it _battleField ;_;

Even when debugging for the "undefined value", it looked exactly the same to my 20/60 eyesight.

I really prefer this_naming_convention rather than thisNamingConvention !!
hmm... I just solved one of the more annoying sideview battler problems in MV.. Passive States and Visual States can make it so when your character is in crisis HP, they don't go back to normal walk/wait when it's their turn. they stay in the crisis motion... neat.
Apparently all of LGBT reddit hates me. I posted a simple question and only got hate mail. What's the deal? The doompost was literally 6 months ago and I've changed my views since then and apologized.
MOD NOTE: See second response before replying to this. - Wavelength
Amazing. Simply amazing...

JRPG Browser - Playlist:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CiderV