Introducing our early stage scifi game Menu - Feedback welcomed!

Lanzy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Dear RPG-Community,

we are 2 rpg scifi lovers (think of Mass Effect, KOTOR or Deus Ex). We started working on this project back in march.
The idea has been around much longer though. Now, we have a very specific vision of our game, which is why developing this without javascript was never an option. I started working on the menu in April, when I knew absolutely nothing about
Javascript and very little in coding in general. So keep this in mind, when watching the demo.

Enough talk!
Please ignore small graphic glitches or missing images, this is still early stage. But it should be enough for you to understand the overall concept we have in mind for the menu.

So, feedback would be wonderful!

keyItems.JPG

DEMO:

If you have other suggestions about how we should develope a scifi game or anything you would like to see in a scifi game:

Anybody interested in a Sci-Fi adventure game?

Thanks all!

Lanzy

Attachments

HumanNinjaToo

The Cheerful Pessimist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My gripe is the transparency of the windows. Maybe it's just a personal thing with me, I just don't like seeing the map behind the menu windows, it makes things look cluttered.

Lanzy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My gripe is the transparency of the windows. Maybe it's just a personal thing with me, I just don't like seeing the map behind the menu windows, it makes things look cluttered.
Interesting. I like it because depending on the map it always looks different, so it doesn't get too boring after a while. Since you spend a lot of time in rpgs in the menu. But i'll take it into consideration.

What would you recommend? Just plain black background?

HumanNinjaToo

The Cheerful Pessimist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Just my opinion, but anything other than the map works. I would like to see a menu background that fits the theme of the game, rather than just a solid color. Doesn't have to be anything fancy. This is one of those things that I really like to customize in my own game because you can pretty much put whatever you want on a menu background and line it up with wherever the windows are using image editing software.

I use SRD menu backgrounds and also SRD windowskins for each window (can't remember the exact plugin name) to achieve some more unique looks than just the same background for each menu scene and the same window.png for every window.

Lanzy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Just my opinion, but anything other than the map works. I would like to see a menu background that fits the theme of the game, rather than just a solid color. Doesn't have to be anything fancy. This is one of those things that I really like to customize in my own game because you can pretty much put whatever you want on a menu background and line it up with wherever the windows are using image editing software.

I use SRD menu backgrounds and also SRD windowskins for each window (can't remember the exact plugin name) to achieve some more unique looks than just the same background for each menu scene and the same window.png for every window.
The idea was to mimic the style of a 80's green screen computer. That's why we decided to stay with the style, rather than giving every window a unique look. But perhaps we can change the theme of the background depending on which menu category is selected.

HumanNinjaToo

The Cheerful Pessimist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think the overall theme looks great. It definitely gives you that old-school computer feel, similar to the computers from fallout games.

edit:
maybe a solid black would go better to fit the theme, maybe some kind of upper or lower border would fit well. Nothing fancy, maybe some sort of binary type border or a series of numbers: 0033.122.144.546 or something else that adds to that retro computer look.

Lanzy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think the overall theme looks great. It definitely gives you that old-school computer feel, similar to the computers from fallout games.

edit:
maybe a solid black would go better to fit the theme, maybe some kind of upper or lower border would fit well. Nothing fancy, maybe some sort of binary type border or a series of numbers: 0033.122.144.546 or something else that adds to that retro computer look.
It's hard to see in the video, but we did implement distortion rows in the background, like from a tv.
The binary numbers thing is a good idea aswell.

And thanks for the feedback. I've been working over 600 hours on this, believe it or not. It didn't go all into the menu, but most of it did. We got over 8000 lines of code just for the menu alone lol. I would have never thought it takes so much work. So knowing that we are on the right path is a nice reassurance.
The Journal and Skills category is yet to be made. But then it's done, at least programming wise.

duty

Keepin' it simple
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English (US)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This is very well executed. It's obvious that a lot of intention and effort went into the menu system.

There's a lot of fine touches, from the visual representation of the armor over the party members to the ability to inspect the visual appearance of each firearm. The last one is particularly impressive, as the player is likely to only use that feature once or twice per new weapon.

It's like opening the hood of a performance vehicle and see polish on all the fittings. Did you have to do it? No. Does it enhance the experience and communicate quality? Most definitely.

I agree with the feedback regarding the menu opacity. The white on green text can be a bit difficult to read, and may get worse if the menu is opened over a very light colored map. If you're up for some unsolicited feedback, you may want to go with an opaque or just shy of opaque black to green gradient.

This may show some age, but the green screen computers of yore (like the Apple IIe) were mostly dark, with the green light shining off the bezel around the screen. Start with black or a very very dark green at the middle and lighten very gradually outward.

Attachments

Lanzy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This is very well executed. It's obvious that a lot of intention and effort went into the menu system.

There's a lot of fine touches, from the visual representation of the armor over the party members to the ability to inspect the visual appearance of each firearm. The last one is particularly impressive, as the player is likely to only use that feature once or twice per new weapon.

It's like opening the hood of a performance vehicle and see polish on all the fittings. Did you have to do it? No. Does it enhance the experience and communicate quality? Most definitely.

I agree with the feedback regarding the menu opacity. The white on green text can be a bit difficult to read, and may get worse if the menu is opened over a very light colored map. If you're up for some unsolicited feedback, you may want to go with an opaque or just shy of opaque black to green gradient.

This may show some age, but the green screen computers of yore (like the Apple IIe) were mostly dark, with the green light shining off the bezel around the screen. Start with black or a very very dark green at the middle and lighten very gradually outward.
One thing I really really really hate is the default RPG Maker Menu. I just can't see it anymore. And it's an instant giveaway that you are using an rpg maker. Which is not bad, but I personally like to see when people put some effort into their project and not use default anything. So of course I have to apply my own ideals to my own game.

The opacity issue definetly has to be dealt with. When you constantly test the menu above the same map, you forget to check if it all still looks good and readable on other maps.

Thanks for the tip with the apple IIe screen. I think a very dark green tone will look nicely. Also thanks for appreciating the effort. That's exactly what we are aiming for.

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

I've moved this thread to Game Ideas & Prototypes. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

Marquise*

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French-Canadian
This looks so different! By the way, maybe find another sound than the slight boings of confirmations. Not that it matters that much but it might kinda mature a wee bit more the impression to be homogeneous with the look of it all.

Lanzy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This looks so different! By the way, maybe find another sound than the slight boings of confirmations. Not that it matters that much but it might kinda mature a wee bit more the impression to be homogeneous with the look of it all.
We plan to change the sounds, right now it's all still default sound. If you know a good source for sound effects, let me know :)

Marquise*

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French-Canadian
I'm sure the threads with SERVICE and music inside Projects-> Project Recruitement you can find someone who would reply to a Foley wanted PM or thread. It would be my best go to. Still, I myself walk around recording what I find interesting. Now I should get sound editing skills ^^

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Hello I buyed RPG Maker VX Ace a long ago and I want to use it again but in the meantime I changed my pc but I lost the paper with my product key on so I can't use RPG maker again... someone can help me please ? or there is no hopes ?:'( ( I have a bad english I'm sorry )
I was away this days here in the forum but it was for a good cause!
The trailer of the demo of Luke Inn is on youtube and I am so happy!
I need to see the bugs of the game but I am happy that I have new content to show!

The last part of the modern interior will be ready soon. This will be a B-tile. With interior items for the kitchen, bathroom, toilet and storage room.
This frantic shooting ARPG plugin for MZ looks really great. Here is the link to a post from the official Japanese RPG Maker forum.
We start in 5 minutes!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Niko44