sbloom85

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I've been working on a project on and off for a few years and one aspect I want to implement is an invasion system. Let's say the player character and their party are away from their base and all of a sudden a group of monsters approaches. The base is still guarded and those guarding it have to fight off the baddies.

I'm thinking this might be simple enough: Call a common event to save the main party, its members and location; fade the screen to black; remove the party members; add the base defenders to the party; switch to the base's map and have an auto-run event on the map take care of the battle. Upon victory, have the auto-run event go backwards in operation back to the main party.

Would this workflow be the most viable way to do it, or is there an easier way to handle the feature?

Piyan Glupak

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
If you don't mind using a plugin, you might find Himeworks party manager worth trying:

https://himeworks.com/2016/02/party-manager-mv/

This lets you have more than one party, each with its own inventory. One party is active and the other(s) idle. The player sees the map the active party on and controls it as usual. You can switch the player between parties (make another party the active one). If the active party and another party are on the same map, the non-active party is visible but appears to be doing a stepping motion, so I sometimes use the script command the plugin gives to hide it away on another map.

A further goody is available. If you want the player to be able to swap actors between the base crew and the exploration party, Himeworks does a party switching screen that allows the player to swap actors between parties. (The party switching screen needs the Himeworks party manager.)

Although these plugins are fairly old, they work with MV version 1.6.1.

sbloom85

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
That sounds far more simplified than what I was going to do. Thanks for pointing this out.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Haven't been on here actively in awhile, project is going strong my biggest issue is the STORY, i'm refining the plot and learning so much i decided to take a writers class to improve even more but the programming and functionality of the game is stepping up nicely!
Hi everyone! Here's what I'm working on today! It's one of the dorms on campus. I know I said I wouldn't use assets but I reused a few things from the cafeteria hehe.
FCuxBOMXMAICK5e
I added a little squish effect when characters change direction to try and make things a bit more lively. Though it's a bit hard to see on the fast moving guys.
2f4fiuy.gif
I just discovered this game exists; the premise itself is ****ing hilarious. https://www.humblebundle.com/store/kill-it-with-fire
Can't wait for next update! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brax06