Invisible Path Tutorial

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV Tutorials' started by GoodSelf, Aug 2, 2016.

1. GoodSelf

GoodSelf Zhu Li! Do the thing! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV

[​IMG]

Difficulty: Newbie Friendly

STEP 1

First things first, make a map of the area you want to have your invisible pathway. 

For this tutorial, we're going to use this map in the spoiler.

Invis7.png

The next thing you want to do is create a Switch - we only need one for this puzzle!

Name your switch "Reveal Pathway"

Next, make a new event. Name this event "Pathway".

This event is going to have 2 pages:

First Page

Leave everything empty.
         Set to "Below Characters" and "Action Button"

Second Page

Make sure the conditon is set to have "Reveal Pathways" set to ON.

Set to "Below Characters" and "Action Button"

Include a graphic of your choice - you can set the walking and stepping animation on or off, depending on what image you chose.

STEP 2

Next, you're going to copy and past the "Pathway" event onto your map, creating a path from the starting point, to where you want the path to end.

Refer to the picture in the spoiler.

Invis3.png

STEP 3

Now, what happens when you walk onto a tile that isn't a path tile?

Well, in this tutorial, an animation will play, and you will be sent back to the start of the map.

I'll let the picture in the spoiler below speak for itself.

Invis2.png

You want to take this tile, and copy and paste it onto every tile thats adjacent to your pathway

There is no image to this event, so placing them can get confusing. Take your time with it.

Ksjp17 has come up with an even easier way to place these tiles, here is the post:

The picture in the spoiler below shows you how my map looks after placing all of these events.

Bear in mind that for the purposes of this tutorial, I've changed these events to a yellow tile instead of a transparent image.

Invis4.png

STEP 4

We are almost done! Now that our path is set up, and our wrong tiles will send the player back to the start, we have to make it so that you can actually walk on it.

This is rather easy - simply add another page to whatever tileset you're using for that map.

Make sure that somewhere in your tileset is a transparent tile (I use Tile A-5 in my Dungeon Tileset).

Set the tiles passage setting to "O" and save your tileset.  Passage settings come in three types: O, X, and a Star.

Now, select your newly made tile, and cover the whole map with it. This will make every tile walkable, but due to the nature of this puzzle, they will never be able to walk on the other spaces, so there's no need to worry!

STEP 5

The final stretch of our puzzle! Here, we will design an item that reveals the pathways for a brief moment. This item will be linked to a common event, which turns the switch that we made earlier turn on, thus revealing our tiles!
    I've chosen to have the item remove 5MP for the entire party, but how you choose to implement this is up to you.

Keep in mind that it doesnt have to be an item - you could bind this to a button press, a skill, or a switch on the map. The choice is yours!

In the spoiler below you'll find the item, and the common event tied with it. Copy those, and your puzzle is finally complete!

Invis6.png

Invis5.png

I hope this tutorial was useful - I'm always trying to improve, and always looking for new puzzle ideas to try and create.

Your comments will help me become better, and I would love to hear some cool puzzle ideas you'd like to see in RPG Maker MV!

Take care!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2016
  2. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Just a thought on how to make Step 3 a little easier to construct.

Actually have a tile like the one in the spoiler i.e. a tile with a lurid graphic so that you can see where you have placed it.

When you are satisfied with how you have placed them, replace that tile on your tile sheet with a blank one so that the map now shows nothing.

GoodSelf likes this.
  3. GoodSelf

GoodSelf Zhu Li! Do the thing! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV

Ah, very clever! I went ahead and added this post to the tutorial. Thanks for your imput!

4. firestalker

firestalker Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    For step 3 you can also do something like this.

Make the event a Common Event.

Insert a Region Event Plugin and set the Common Event to desired Region number.

Proceed to place decided Region number in the places that you want the event to play.

This does two things...  One you can see the area that is dangerous to the player at all times[no changing graphics necessary] and Two, you can change the Common Event as desired without having to replace all the events afterward.

i actually used this exact method in my game...  works like a charm!