DeV.iLLain

What Title?
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I noticed on the FAQ that in order to export to iOS, you need a Mac.  So having the game on Steam, I'm able to use Steam to install for both Mac and PC, correct?

Zalerinian

Jack of all Errors
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Steam will not build your installer for you. You give them the files needed to install and/or run the game, and they download it to the end user's computer. They will not build your game for Mac, you must do that yourself and then upload the files into their system. You cannot properly export your game for Mac unless you yourself have a mac to export on.

monsterfurby

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
Compiling the game and uploading it to a digital distribution platform are two different things. I'm not sure if it's possible it compile the game for iOS on a Windows PC, but it seems like you probably can't. Submitting to a platform though is governed by their individual restrictions. For example, Steam might require you to go through Greenlight unless you can submit directly; Apple and Google have different approval processes as well.

DeV.iLLain

What Title?
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Steam will not build your installer for you. You give them the files needed to install and/or run the game, and they download it to the end user's computer. They will not build your game for Mac, you must do that yourself and then upload the files into their system. You cannot properly export your game for Mac unless you yourself have a mac to export on.
You seem a bit prissy today.  Seems like you got out of the wrong side of the bed.  And sorry if I accidentally refered to MV as a game when i meant app.  Which brings me back to my question and let me restate it.  If I have MV through Steam, I can install the Mac and PC version of the App?

Zalerinian

Jack of all Errors
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Steam will require you to go through Greenlight, Apple and Google both have yearly fees that you need to pay in order to have your apps hosted there, as well as pass a quality test.

You seem a bit prissy today.  Seems like you got out of the wrong side of the bed.  And sorry if I accidentally refered to MV as a game when i meant app.  Which brings me back to my question and let me restate it.  If I have MV through Steam, I can install the Mac and PC version of the App?
I did not mean to sound prissy, but no one as ever been allowed to package a Mac or iOS program without a Mac. Steam will allow you to install MV on both, yes.

Baka-chan

☆*:.。. o(≧▽≦)o .。.:*☆
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Yes, you can install the PC and Mac Version of RPG Maker MV via steam on the desired OS.

Sugar Rush

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I did not mean to sound prissy, but no one as ever been allowed to package a Mac or iOS program without a Mac. Steam will allow you to install MV on both, yes.
Doesn't unity do that?

Zalerinian

Jack of all Errors
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Doesn't unity do that?
It can export to mac, but you still need a mac to have the game available there. Generally, you need to compile your programs on the OS you want the program to work for because the OS has information that needs to be put into the program in order for it to run.

DeV.iLLain

What Title?
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Steam will require you to go through Greenlight, Apple and Google both have yearly fees that you need to pay in order to have your apps hosted there, as well as pass a quality test.

Understandable, maybe I may have misread the way you wrote it.  I apologize for that, just too early in the morning for me.  

I do have some experience with making games and exporting to iOS using Clickteam software.  You create the game through their software which is only available in PC, then set the build to create a file for iOS.  From there, you transfer the file to a Mac, go through some process like getting their developers license for about $100 a year, if i remember correctly, then upload the file to them and they will make it available at the apple store under your account.  It's more tedious than that, but that's what I had to do.

I was curious if the process would be the same.  But I guess one way to find out when the App is release.

(edit)

creating an APK for android is way way easier.  Just build the .apk file, then turn that in through a Google Developer account.  Or you can run it directly on your android device, which will install the game.  But you'll have to change a setting where it allows unsigned apps to be installed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zoltor

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Doesn't unity do that?

I don't know if Unity does or not, but I don't know why, if you're designing a IOS game, you would need a Mac, all it is, is code, so can someone explain to me why compiling such on a Mac, vs PC would matter at all?

It should be the same program, but unlike past RPG makers, it will be compiling it into a program that iOS machines can devices will also be allowed to read, I don't see why such has to be done using a Mac..

Sugar Rush

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I don't know if Unity does or not, but I don't know why, if you're designing a IOS game, you would need a Mac, all it is, is code, so can someone explain to me why compiling such on a Mac, vs PS would matter at all?

It should be the same program, but unlike past RPG makers, it will be compiling it into a program that iOS machines can devices will also be allowed to read, I don't see why such has to be done using a Mac..
I think what was meant was that you can create an .ipa file which is great. It's a fully compiled mac game. In order to get it on the app store you need xcode, which is a mac product, and it is the only way to get the game on the app store. Apple has a proprietary system involving signing apps in which you need a mac product to sign them.

Zoltor

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I think what was meant was that you can create an .ipa file which is great. It's a fully compiled mac game. In order to get it on the app store you need xcode, which is a mac product, and it is the only way to get the game on the app store. Apple has a proprietary system involving signing apps in which you need a mac product to sign them.

Yea, but Isn't there a converter that could be used on a PC, and even more so, why can't the engine decide what format to compile the project to?

Even if It's a Proprietary format, Isn't there some way to convert the files, even if you need to buy the converter from Apple them selves?

Sugar Rush

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Yea, but Isn't there a converter that could be used on a PC, and even more so, why can't the engine decide what format to compile the project to?

Even if It's a Proprietary format, Isn't there some way to convert the files, even if you need to buy the converter from Apple them selves?
Think of it like this. To get your app on the app store you need to have a signed app and apple's approval.

To get a signed app, there is a special stamp. ONLY mac OS have that stamp. No windows machine can innately have that stamp.

To submit the signed app you need a tunnel. The ONLY tunnel possible is through an app on a mac. No windows machine can install this app innately.

To combat this get:

1) Ensure that your computer has virtualization and enable it

2) Get VMWare, the newest version supports mac operating systems

3) Install a copy of El Capitan virtually on your machine

4) Share the folder with your ipa and submit to the apple store through xcode

This method is not nefarious and is considered completely legitimate since Apple has give VMWare the go ahead to use their OS. Oh and you still need the $100 Developer Account.

Zoltor

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Think of it like this. To get your app on the app store you need to have a signed app and apple's approval.

To get a signed app, there is a special stamp. ONLY mac OS have that stamp. No windows machine can innately have that stamp.

To submit the signed app you need a tunnel. The ONLY tunnel possible is through an app on a mac. No windows machine can install this app innately.

To combat this get:

1) Ensure that your computer has virtualization and enable it

2) Get VMWare, the newest version supports mac operating systems

3) Install a copy of El Capitan virtually on your machine

4) Share the folder with your ipa and submit to the apple store through xcode

This method is not nefarious and is considered completely legitimate since Apple has give VMWare the go ahead to use their OS. Oh and you still need the $100 Developer Account.
Oh ok.

Zalerinian

Jack of all Errors
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Where did you see this? :o

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Unfortunately you misread the requirements.
VMWare can run on a regular Mac hardware as host, but as GUEST system (which is the system installed inside the VM) the only allowed MacOS-Versions are SERVER versions.

It's a lot cheaper to purchase an entire Mac (Mac mini is enough) for compiling your game than to purchase an OSX Server system as software alone...

Edit:

(Yes, there are hacks to install regular OSX on VMware, but those are hacks and breaking the EULA - you don't want to break Apples EULA if you want to sell in their shops...)

Sugar Rush

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
  :o  Yup, it's only for Mac, disregard everything I said. It can still be done, just not through non-nefarious means.

StrawberrySmiles

The Talking Fruit
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Heh, I use an iPhone, and this makes me realize that I couldn't even play my own game on it since I don't have a Mac. It's kind of sad. I also don't know anyone with a Mac. It would super great if libraries had different computers instead of just Windows. O_O

Would it be wrong to request online for someone to help export your game for iOS for if you pay them a fee? o.o

Sugar Rush

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Heh, I use an iPhone, and this makes me realize that I couldn't even play my own game on it since I don't have a Mac. It's kind of sad. I also don't know anyone with a Mac. It would super great if libraries had different computers instead of just Windows. O_O

Would it be wrong to request online for someone to help export your game for iOS for if you pay them a fee? o.o
You probably can, you just really have to trust them if you are attempting to monetize.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I'm familiar with MZ thanks to jam now. I say it's a better working and looking MV. Lots of plugins too and FOSSIL helps alot. It's not bad.
Some more progress <3 and in most important news:
ALPACARAPTOR SPRITE! (not animated yet, though :( )
h4u90Sz.png
Caz
At the risk of giving myself even more work to do, I kinda wanna redraw the faces of the MV RTP to be a little less.. uhhhhh..

mv-redraw.png
Hmm...you'd think in this day and age, what with Japanese Schoolgirls frequenting anime, JRGs and whatever else...that someone might have made some gym clothes for the generator. You know, the ones with the short bloomers.
finished the draft of some of this dude's motions!

mc0xoB4.gif

gonna work on the drafts of the other 3 now before i put detail, need to position these rather tall sprites well on the field

waiting for the term to end so i can get more time w this :kaodes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiliharaki