Baka-chan

☆*:.。. o(≧▽≦)o .。.:*☆
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Heh, I use an iPhone, and this makes me realize that I couldn't even play my own game on it since I don't have a Mac. It's kind of sad. I also don't know anyone with a Mac. It would super great if libraries had different computers instead of just Windows. O_O

Would it be wrong to request online for someone to help export your game for iOS for if you pay them a fee? o.o
Of course that's possible. That's how some developers to that on steam. They let their game get published by a publisher that doesn't need games to go through greenlight first. For example Skyborn was developed by Dancing Dragon Games and published by Degica. The same thing could be done if you find a publisher for the Apple Store.

SOC

Be your own hero
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Requiring a Mac to put your game on iOS/iPhones might as well be advertised as "you can't put your games on iOS."

Extremely disappointing.

Baka-chan

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Requiring a Mac to put your game on iOS/iPhones might as well be advertised as "you can't put your games on iOS."

Extremely disappointing.
Well they advertise it as

MV Supports making games for:

Windows/EXEMacOSX/APP

Android/APKiOS/IPA

HTML 5 for Web Browsers
and that statement is true. The thing about not being able to put it on the Itunes Store without a Mac is because Apple decided so. Just like they didn't advertise the fact that putting it on the Itunes Store isn't free.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@SOC

But that is the Apple business model, and there is nothing that anyone outside Apple can do about it.

If you want to sell to their customers, then you have to use their equipment.

And, of course, don't forget that a lot of people have MACs.

SOC

Be your own hero
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm not blaming RPG Maker at all for it, but it should be much more clearly advertised. As disappointing as it is, everything else it offers makes it far more than worth the upgrade/buy. I feel like it's blatantly left out of the "front pages" on purpose to get people's money who normally wouldn't be interested in getting MV if they knew Windows couldn't make games for iOS devices. It's just disheartening.

@SOC

And, of course, don't forget that a lot of people have MACs.
This is false, in terms of target audiences.

skipsandwich

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
With all this in mind, how much use is iOS export to the average user of MV, considering most people aren't going to 1) make on a Mac, and 2) get a developer license to put it the App Store?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
A lot of former RM-community members have come back due to MV, because for occupational reasons they were forced to ditch Windows-PCs for Macs. So there are people who will develop on a Mac.

And about the other point: while it may have been better to declare up front that there are additional costs for bein able to sell your game on the Apple store, that is no difference to any big Windows store: you need to pay the greenlight fee to get on steam, and so forth...

It's more expensive for Mac/iOS of course, but that has always been the case for anything from or by Apple

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
 I feel like it's blatantly left out of the "front pages" on purpose to get people's money who normally wouldn't be interested in getting MV if they knew Windows couldn't make games for iOS devices. It's just disheartening.

This is false, in terms of target audiences.
I'll take the second statement first.  I was talking about people making the games, not those playing them.  There have been a significant number of people posting here saying it was brilliant that they can now use their Macs with ease to make a game.  I think you must have ignored the context of my remark to come out with that observation.

Turning now to the first statement - do you realise what a serious charge you have made about the integrity of the Degica staff?  You are saying that they deliberately suppressed information in order to up sales.  How else is one to interpret "blatantly left out...to get people's money"?  I suggest that you think carefully about your statement, and its full implications,  Just because you "feel" something does not make it true.  Your feelings do not create reality.  They can, however, leave a very unpleasant innuendo about people's honesty. That, imo, is far more disheartening.

semi-ninja'd

??????

Diabolical Codemaster
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Binary
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
People in this thread need to stop *****ing about the way APPLE runs their business.. There is nothing that can be done about it, and all game engines have similar requirements (ie, own a mac = distribute to mac, dont = cant. //if any people thought that would be different with MV, that is just moronic...

skipsandwich

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Well, Mac user here.

If you need your game exported to iOS, just send it to me?  Can't promise I'll spend $100 to get an App Developer license to sell the game for you, but if you can put a game on your iPhone or iPod without needing the App Store, everything will be fine, right?

Lux Fortuna

Legal Eagle
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Heh, I use an iPhone, and this makes me realize that I couldn't even play my own game on it since I don't have a Mac. It's kind of sad. I also don't know anyone with a Mac. It would super great if libraries had different computers instead of just Windows. O_O

Would it be wrong to request online for someone to help export your game for iOS for if you pay them a fee? o.o
I have a mac and pc and wouldn't have any issues helping people in the process for free. Charging for that (unless it requires significant effort) just seems a bit sketchy--we're a community to help each other out. I'm sure others would be happy to help as well.

Edit: as long as it doesn't cost me money to do it... although I imagine that's a given #PoorCollegeStudent

DeV.iLLain

What Title?
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I do have a license to develop for Apple and to for Google Play.  Once I get my head around MV and get started, I wouldn't mind going into Publishing other people's work.  Can flesh it out later on when I'm ready to start it.  But my plan is to charge a small nominal fee, and a small percentage would go into the Publishing and Marketing.  

I have access to some talents that can take care of the marketing.  Actually my plan was to form an association of developers of sort that can handle publishing and marketing.  Similar to the NFL being a non-profit organization of Team owners.  The NFL itself is non-profit, it just collect dues from owners to help organize the league.  Profit goes to the owners themselves.  

cygnus

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Good thing I have a mac...

SOC

Be your own hero
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think it's great people that use Macs can use RPG Maker now, and you'll probably find a lot of new posters in the forum showing their excitement as MV starts pulling in the Mac developer audiences. But I'm not talking about developers. I'm talking about gamers, the people who would spend money to buy the games developers make. I think it's safe to assume that the vast majority of "gamers" still continue to use Windows computers, but use either an iPhone or an Android based phone. I think more people use iPhones still, but I haven't done any research on that. I'm also going to believe that most people who will be using RPG Maker will be doing so on Windows platforms, and have been dreaming of making RPG Maker games for iPhones for a great many years now. I still remember when "Ash" came out on iOS and how it filled my imagination so much and got me that much more inspired to work more on RPG Maker, even after using it since 2000.

To be honest, that was one of the biggest attention grabers for MV when they were announcing it. "iOS Support!" And I'm willing to bet that 99% of people were excited because they wanted to use RPG Maker on their Windows computers to make iOS apps and sell them. The fact that that isn't possible, and that it isn't clearly shown as such, is a pretty big problem to me. Not because I don't have a Mac: I do, I have both Mac and Windows, but it's a big problem because it wasn't clearly advertised so people don't fall into that trap.

It may be only my feelings, but it's still my feelings. I don't blame Degica at all that it isn't possible: I only blame them for not making it clear in a little note: "*Must use Mac platform to import to iOS."

DarkSeraphim

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
This should have been an expected thing. Only Macs can build programs to run on themselves. It has always been like this even with other languages and tools

I suggest those who want to build their game for Mac to use one of the services that allow you to use a Mac located at a server facility to do their builds. These services are low cost and easily obtainiable whenever one is needed.

Mikuri

Princess
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
I guess I'll be doing many games exporting in the next few years since I'm the only one in my group of friends who owns a Mac... I could try to publish some other games too, why not.

noctiluca

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I use a windows laptop now but will likely be using a Mac when I continue with school. And it'll have higher specs than my current compy so it might become my primary MV machine... Macs are used a lot by graphics people (not necessarily the graphic makers in the RM community, but designers in general) so it could potentially open up the resource pool a bit. I have a friend who is interested in RPG maker but only uses Mac computers; just because they aren't the majority doesn't mean including them is pointless!

I'm sure a lot of people would offer services to port to Mac or even do it for free if it isn't a commercial game.

And while MV is coming out in the west first, Japan loves Apple. Pretty much everyone here has an iPhone (android is atypical) and lots of people have MacBooks too. That could definitely influence the inclusion of iOS support.

Baka-chan

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
It may be only my feelings, but it's still my feelings. I don't blame Degica at all that it isn't possible: I only blame them for not making it clear in a little note: "*Must use Mac platform to import to iOS."
Well if you want to develop something and then publish it to some service like apple, google, steam, whatever, then you should do some research yourself as a developer. They said it's possible to make a game that is playable on IOS and other platforms and that statement isn't false. The fact that you need a Mac and even that you need to pay a fee to publish it in the IOS store has nothing to do with the creation of the game. Everything past the creation of a game needs to be organized by the developer themself.

Just like the engine is easy to use for children if you just use the basics of the software. If you need some customization for how the engine should handle stuff different from it's normal behaviour you have to use a script that you have to get yourself.

RPG Maker has always given you the basics to do something, every customization or everything after the creation is the job of the developer.

DarknessFalls

Rpg Maker Jesus - JS Dev.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I have a mac, its my default machine at work, at home and every where I go (apple for life :D ) I am super excited for this feature, to at least test it out and see what it can do ... 

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Another comic with Backstage Malak...
If you want to ask him anything, you can ask on my DeviantArt page! I'm not sure if you're allowed to do it here.
Forum tip of the day ...
If you get a temporary suspension for being a jerk to people who are trying to help you, and arguing with mods and admins, don't go making new accounts. Chances are, if you p**s us off enough to suspend you for a week, we're not going to hesitate giving you a permanent ban when you give us a reason.
E_6fAErVkAQILXu.png
I'm so close to releasing my game on steam! :blush::blush::blush:
Us:
"This game is awesome! I wish there are more games like this in the future."
Also us:
"I hate how games stopped being original and start copying other successful games."
Should've done this a few days ago but...
PRI_200136808.jpg
Rest in Peace, Sir Clive Sinclair
1940 - 2021
Entrepreneur, Technologist, Father of the Modern British Computing Industry, and protagonist of Legend of ZUN.

Without you, England's games and tech industry wouldn't be where it is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
badalias