SOC

Be your own hero
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well if you want to develop something and then publish it to some service like apple, google, steam, whatever, then you should do some research yourself as a developer. They said it's possible to make a game that is playable on IOS and other platforms and that statement isn't false. The fact that you need a Mac and even that you need to pay a fee to publish it in the IOS store has nothing to do with the creation of the game. Everything past the creation of a game needs to be organized by the developer themself.
I disagree with this completely, especially when there's a cost involved. This information needs to be clearly advertised on any product that costs money, so people know exactly what they're paying for. The less research one has to do about a product they're buying and the features they're getting the better.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
No one can publish to iOS without owning a Mac - no matter which engine or developing toolkit you use - it's the same for everyone and everything and there was no single exception anytime in the past. This is especially true for commercial releases.

So if you want that for commercial releases, then you are required to do your own research, especially before founding a business. That's also standard everywhere.

If you only want to distribute to friends and have no intention of going commercial, then that lack of your own research can be excused - but in that case you're also not loosing much as you would not have had any chance to do that anyway.

Yes, it would have been better if it was communicated from the beginning - but on the other hand:

Game making requires months of work at minimum - and here you're ranting on the fact that you should not have to spent five minutes on your own for researching what you want before you pay for a program?

One question: Do you purchase everything based on advertisements without checking the product? from car to computer to house? Perhaps I can interest you in some land on the mars, I can make you an advertisement that it will be worth a lot in a thousand years...

Reactions: Kes

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I'm with Baka-chan.  If you want to develop for a platform it is up to you to know what is involved with doing that.  To do it the way you suggest there would have to be a lot of other info too, like "such and such phone only supports this resolution" and "we do not guarantee sales" and all sorts of stuff like that.  And no matter how hard they tried there would always be someone who complains about something missed like "you didn't warn me that android phones can't use f key commands!"

Reactions: Kes

SOC

Be your own hero
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Of course I do my own research on a lot of serious purchases, but when it comes to minor things like this, it needs to be more clear that Windows cannot export to iOS. I imagine the most people who are going to get MV with the intentions of "Finally, I can make RPG Maker games on iPhones!" won't know anything about licensing and have very little to no experience in it. They're amateurs, that should be obvious because they're wanting to use RPG Maker to make games instead of being hardcore developers already. In fact that's why I use and love RPG Maker: because I'm an amateur and love the how simple and familiar it is to use. I've never tried making games for anything other than personal and giving to friends for fun, I certainly haven't been too interested in commercial values of it yet. And this thread is the very epitome of "doing research" on this topic and learning about licensing and my effort to know more about it. To me, personally, not being able to make games on iOS through Windows (even if I didn't have a Mac) wouldn't change my decision on purchasing MV at all, but I do feel a strong distaste of "you should just research your self about licensing and let us pull in people who don't." Maybe I'm just being jaded or bitter or something, I don't know. I just don't like that and I think expecting people to research and know that beforehand without advertising, especially for a program like RPG Maker, is really pushing it.

Baka-chan

☆*:.。. o(≧▽≦)o .。.:*☆
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Of course I do my own research on a lot of serious purchases, but when it comes to minor things like this, it needs to be more clear that Windows cannot export to iOS. I imagine the most people who are going to get MV with the intentions of "Finally, I can make RPG Maker games on iPhones!" won't know anything about licensing and have very little to no experience in it. They're amateurs, that should be obvious because they're wanting to use RPG Maker to make games instead of being hardcore developers already. In fact that's why I use and love RPG Maker: because I'm an amateur and love the how simple and familiar it is to use. I've never tried making games for anything other than personal and giving to friends for fun, I certainly haven't been too interested in commercial values of it yet. And this thread is the very epitome of "doing research" on this topic and learning about licensing and my effort to know more about it. To me, personally, not being able to make games on iOS through Windows (even if I didn't have a Mac) wouldn't change my decision on purchasing MV at all, but I do feel a strong distaste of "you should just research your self about licensing and let us pull in people who don't." Maybe I'm just being jaded or bitter or something, I don't know. I just don't like that and I think expecting people to research and know that beforehand without advertising, especially for a program like RPG Maker, is really pushing it.
You can export the game with Windows, but the things that come after that can only be done on Mac. I'm sure a cracked iPhone would even be able to install the exported .ipa file, but if you want it to be able to use it the normal way through the store you have to follow the rules made by Apple, that no maker can ignore (Just like they force you to use iTunes to add music to your iPhone).

DeV.iLLain

What Title?
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Ok.  Let's clarify this.  I'm assuming this is similar on how I published to Apple Store with another Game Making Program.  Creating or Building the game for the iOS file can be done on the PC.  But to publish it to the Apple Store, you need a Mac.  These are two separate things.

Create Content for Game (PC or Mac, it's the same)

Build/Export Game to .ipa file format (.ipa is file extension used by iOS apps)

Save .ipa on USB Stick and transfer to Mac (Or just get file into the mac using a cloud folder if needed)

Open xCode (MAC Application, also need to have developer license which is $100)

submit .ipa through Application Loader in xCode

DONE!

Correct me if I'm wrong in this process.

DarknessFalls

Rpg Maker Jesus - JS Dev.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
 it needs to be more clear that Windows cannot export to iOS. 
No it doesn't ... its a given. All apps for IOS are found on an iphone and developed on a mac. This is (at least I would think .... ) common knowledge ...

Open xCode (MAC Application, also need to have developer license which is $100)

Please note: xcode is free. You must have this application its mac only. You can deploy to your iphone as of (I believe) IOS 9 (xcode 7) So you can run the app on your own phone and your friends phone  with out submitting this is a step forward for apple. Lets you get the app on your phone and do UI testing before submitting.

Submitting does require a dev account as stated, it is 100$ as stated.

Apples policies around apps may change so in the future the export functionality MAY become unstable because of Apples api's and what not.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@DeV.iLLan

No, I think you are absolutely accurate in your description of the process.  Very clear.

@DarknessFalls

And yes, I, too, believe it to be common knowledge.

DeV.iLLain

What Title?
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
@Darkness Falls,

You are correct.  I just tried simplifying it. I was going with my experience but with a different game making app.  Android is a lot better.  Create the .apk and then create the google play account.  Pay for the license fee which was less than $20, but i could be wrong, its been a while.  But it is around that price point.  Then upload your .apk file.

Also, you can just load the .apk file into the android directly.  It will then install the game.  One thing to note, have to change setting to allow unsigned application install.

DarknessFalls

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
with out this becoming a android vs ios debate and flame war, I much prefer apple to look over my stuff, make sure its safe and that it meets there criteria. :DDDD but as you were with the convo

skipsandwich

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
with out this becoming a android vs ios debate and flame war, I much prefer apple to look over my stuff, make sure its safe and that it meets there criteria. :DDDD but as you were with the convo
I'm somewhat happy Mac users have an "exclusive" feature that PC does not have.

Don't know.... what this feeling is.... never experienced it....

DeV.iLLain

What Title?
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Didn't mean to say android is better overall.  Just the process with Android is much more simple and cost less for the developer's license.  Also, you wouldn't need a Mac if you're creating from a PC.  But I guess if you have a Mac, you wouldn't need a PC either and develop for both.

SOC

Be your own hero
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don't believe it's common knowledge to the amateur developers out there that have never considered developing for any other platform than WIndows, IE probably the vast majority of RPG Maker users, and this is their first opportunity at it. Of course, that's just my opinion.

A_Higher_Plane

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Wait Apple requires a fee of $100 in order to upload it on iTunes?

Baka-chan

☆*:.。. o(≧▽≦)o .。.:*☆
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Wait Apple requires a fee of $100 in order to upload it on iTunes?
And Google ($25), Windows ($19 for individual (or free for IT-Students via Dreamspark)/$99 for company account), Steam ($100) have a fee too to be able to upload your stuff.

The big difference between apple and the other is that apple developer license price is yearly while the others are PAY ONCE - GET FOREVER licences.

Oh, and apple offers different types of developer licences with different benefits and resources:

- invididual: $ 100

- organization: $ 100

- enterprise program: $ 250

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
All this being said, I'm curious... Does anyone know exactly how the testing of games will go on mobile devices? Do you just compile your game and then transfer it to your phone manually, and then if you want to publish it you have to go through all the hoops, or do you have to go through the hoops even to test it?

Sugar Rush

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
All this being said, I'm curious... Does anyone know exactly how the testing of games will go on mobile devices? Do you just compile your game and then transfer it to your phone manually, and then if you want to publish it you have to go through all the hoops, or do you have to go through the hoops even to test it?
For iOS, the newest version of XCode allows you to test drive your apps on your phone before submitting them to the app store.

DarknessFalls

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
For iOS, the newest version of XCode allows you to test drive your apps on your phone before submitting them to the app store.
Which is amazing. It only supports devices running I believe IOS 9+

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm assuming that means you still have to have a Mac to test on iOS devices? This really sucks, because I have an iPhone and a windows desktop haha. I also have a spare iPhone with old firmware.... perhaps I can get things to work on it..

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I'm familiar with MZ thanks to jam now. I say it's a better working and looking MV. Lots of plugins too and FOSSIL helps alot. It's not bad.
Some more progress <3 and in most important news:
ALPACARAPTOR SPRITE! (not animated yet, though :( )
h4u90Sz.png
Caz
At the risk of giving myself even more work to do, I kinda wanna redraw the faces of the MV RTP to be a little less.. uhhhhh..

mv-redraw.png
Hmm...you'd think in this day and age, what with Japanese Schoolgirls frequenting anime, JRGs and whatever else...that someone might have made some gym clothes for the generator. You know, the ones with the short bloomers.
finished the draft of some of this dude's motions!

mc0xoB4.gif

gonna work on the drafts of the other 3 now before i put detail, need to position these rather tall sprites well on the field

waiting for the term to end so i can get more time w this :kaodes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fountairpg