iPhone app button pic - use girl or no?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jellicoe, Jan 15, 2019.

1. Jellicoe

Jellicoe Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Any suggestions on the design of the iPhone app button. It seems the button is one of he main things you notice and is one of the main ways you can tell a game app is quality or not.

My question is I was thinking of putting one of my characters on the button app. “sex appeal”
    sells right?

On the other hand I hate those buttons on my phone. It’s kind of embarrassing if my wife gets hold of the phone.

My other idea is have a nice terrain scene with expansive blue skies, an app button featuring a dragon, a character sprite, and the last idea was to have a pair of glasses on the button representing one of the main characters and making it abstract and classy.

Thanks!

2. artoni

artoni Writer, Editor Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Personally? I'd say no. A lot of times solely using sex appeal sets up your game as a certain type - that is, the one that can't sell itself, so it relies on boobs.

On the other hand, if the character is essential to the game, you can use her - but maybe just don't focus on her 'physical' assets.

Jellicoe likes this.
  3. Uzuki

Uzuki Kawaii on the streets, Senpai in the sheets Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Depends on what type of game you're trying to sell. What type of game is your game?

4. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    No. What about your protagonist? Antagonist? If your game relies on collecting a series of items, then the items themselves?

5. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    This question is not specific to commercial games, but is something that free games need to consider as well.

I am, therefore, moving this to General Discussion.

6. Mr. Detective

Mr. Detective NATO Special Operative Veteran

First Language:
    English
    You can have the most attractive icon in the world, but if your game is crap, it doesn't change anything. And with mobile games, heh, you can't judge a game based on an icon. XD

If the female character in question is vital to the story, then sure, do it. If she is just a random made up character that has no relevance to the game, then no. There's nothing wrong with using sex appeal to sell your game. Sexiness and beauty are to be celebrated and admired. Of course, do remember that outside appearance is just one thing. :stickytongue:

Um... If you mean you hate buttons with female, why even worry about this? If you don't want to, just don't do it. I don't think your wife should have any issue with you looking at some 2D or 3D characters. :rolleyes: