Brigg

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I've been searching for this the past few days with no solid answer.

I purchased a legal license for RMVXA, so I'm comfortable with using the RTP for commercial use.

I've created and added tilesets/scripts that I'll follow through with the free copy/credit given request.

But I can't find a straight answer about altering RTP tilesets.

If I choose to alter a tileset from the RTP, does that violate EULA and the DLL?

For example:

• if I change the order of images on a tileset
  • add a shadow or change the color
  • remove and/or add an image tile
  • alter the name of a file
What if I create a new sprite set (EX: DamageX.png) of a RTP sprite?

The previous are all examples of stuff I'd like to do, but this I did do, and I'm nervous now that I need to undo it. Can I get a confirmation if it's okay or not?

In the Script Editor, I Ctrl+Q'd the lines that operated "Formation," because I didn't want a formation option in my game. Is that a violation of the EULA/DLL? Is it okay, or do I need to write a new method that overwrites how formation is handled?

Thanks for your help,

Brigg

EternalShadow

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
It's fine: you can edit pretty much everything in the RTP, scripts and graphics. You just have to credit the original RTP creators (Enterbrain et al).

And yes you can comment out scripts.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Perhaps you should read the EULA instead of just accepting it, because it specifically states what you can and can't do with the program and the RTP.

You can do even more than the points you listed.

However, be warned of technical requirements: There are different formats for tiles and tilesheets, and while you can change the tiles as much as you want, some tiles only work in specific positions (for example the animated tiles need to be in A1)

Brigg

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Awesome. Thank you!

@Andar

I've attempted to read it many times. It hurts my brain, lol. It's like reading court documents. I end up scratching my head and going, "Huh?" 

I'm aware of the technical requirements with A1, as well as the !, $, or !$ at the front of the file names. Thanks for the heads up, though. I appreciate it.

Kalin

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Perhaps you should read the EULA instead of just accepting it, because it specifically states what you can and can't do with the program and the RTP.

You can do even more than the points you listed.
Where is the EULA? I've looked through the help topics, and searched the directories where the program and RTP are installed, and I can't find anything. And what exactly should we put in the credits if we use the RTP?

Brigg

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Where is the EULA? I've looked through the help topics, and searched the directories where the program and RTP are installed, and I can't find anything. And what exactly should we put in the credits if we use the RTP?
I've read it. It's all greek to me. 

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Straight answer

Yes you can alter the tileset of the RTP of any engine which you legally own.

For example:

• if I change the order of images on a tileset
  • add a shadow or change the color
  • remove and/or add an image tile
  • alter the name of a file
What if I create a new sprite set (EX: DamageX.png) of a RTP sprite?
 Yes to all those.

In the Script Editor, I Ctrl+Q'd the lines that operated "Formation," because I didn't want a formation option in my game. Is that a violation of the EULA/DLL? Is it okay, or do I need to write a new method that overwrites how formation is handled?
You can do what you like to any of the default scripts that you can see in the script editor.

Whether that modification you described will work in the way you want it to may be a different matter, but it does not break the EULA.

And you credit the RTP to Enterbrain.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You can alter all of the resources - audio, image, scripts.

You can ask someone else to edit them for you (as long as you own the maker that the resources belong to) - you can even pay them to do this.

You can share resources between different versions of the maker that you own.

You can post your edits for others to use.

You CANNOT use RTP resources or edits of them in other game engines (engines that are not RPG Maker or IG Maker), and you cannot provide edits of RTP resources to others for the purpose of using outside of RPG Maker.

That is all.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

unintentionally made a track that sounds straight out of Yume Nikki
Revisiting one of my older projects in a long time to work some more on the mechanics. I've been working on- and off-again for about a year now on recreating the Force and Mystic systems from Wild ARMs. And I think I've finally made some good breakthroughs on that!

Still, it is not perfect and I may post my thoughts at a later time to see if there are any other suggestions or alternatives I've missed.
actor name string, why you gotta be case sensitive like that?
Doing RPG Maker News for 26th October 2021

My entire world, full of monsters and treasures, will likely be done by the end of the year. After that it's all NPCs and side quests... then done. I'm never making an open world game again xD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cpdealer