Is anybody furious at Stadia shutting down?

Mcniner

Lord of Ice and Snow
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Stadia is shutting down in January, and I'm really frustrated. My computer is pretty old, and can't run a lot of newer or larger games, so I used Stadia to play a lot of them. Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age, Destiny 2, and Immortals: Fenyx Rising are all great games on Stadia that I cannot play or buy once Stadia is gone. Google is refunding the money people spent on games, but they cannot refund the time invested in these, or the desire to play these games. It's just really frustrating.

Nolonar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French, German
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Considering Google's very long track record of abandoned projects, I don't understand why anyone would invest in something that has a very high chance of failing, and then get angry when it eventually does fail. It's like playing the lottery just to get angry. You're not going to lead a happy life at this rate.

But if it helps, here are a few alternatives to Stadia:
  • Nvidia GeForce Now
  • Sony PlayStation Now
  • Microsoft Xbox Cloud Gaming
  • Amazon Luna

BK-tdm

Manga Maker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don't.
3rd world internet connection sucks so I don't miss anything.
Besides, I prefer to play games offline if possible. I hate relying on the internet.
Ditto this, things like stadia never get here.

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
No. It's bad enough that I'm forced to buy my games digitally now instead of getting my own hard copies to own.

I definitely don't want to rely on other people's hardware to be able to play it.

Sword_of_Dusk

Ace Attorney
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Stadia was something I knew wouldn't last. As Nolonar pointed out, Google has a history of abandoning various projects, so investing in Stadia was always gonna be a very risky move.

It's time to get a console or PC and do your gaming there.

No. It's bad enough that I'm forced to buy my games digitally now instead of getting my own hard copies to own.
How so? I mean, I suppose a lot of good sales pop up on digital storefronts, but no one is putting a gun to your head and telling you to buy digital.

ATT_Turan

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
How so? I mean, I suppose a lot of good sales pop up on digital storefronts, but no one is putting a gun to your head and telling you to buy digital.
:guffaw:

No one is putting a gun to my head, but I also don't have an option. PC games are sold digitally, full stop.

Sword_of_Dusk

Ace Attorney
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
:guffaw:

No one is putting a gun to my head, but I also don't have an option. PC games are sold digitally, full stop.
Ah, right. Well, as a console player, I enjoy having a choice in the matter and I wish you did too.

ATT_Turan

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ah, right. Well, as a console player, I enjoy having a choice in the matter and I wish you did too.
Me, too. Although you have less every year - even back on the PS3 there were games I couldn't play without installing additonal content and patches.

Sword_of_Dusk

Ace Attorney
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Devs love releasing half finished games these days. Feels like day 1 buyers are essentially beta testers.

HexMozart88

The Master of Random Garbage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Yeah, we have an Xbox Series S and it doesn't have disk drives. T_T
So I can't play any of my old games on there, which is unfortunate. I adore XCloud though, because I get to play Xbox games on my phone without haven't to touch trashy mobile games anymore.

BK-tdm

Manga Maker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yeah, we have an Xbox Series S and it doesn't have disk drives. T_T
So I can't play any of my old games on there, which is unfortunate. I adore XCloud though, because I get to play Xbox games on my phone without haven't to touch trashy mobile games anymore.
Wait wait, the console has NO cd/dvd/bluray unit to put physical disks into?
By arceus i would need a week to download and patch a single game :kaoback:

ATT_Turan

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yup. In fact, both Sony and Microsoft were considering going all digital for the last iteration of their consoles, but the public managed to muster significant protest that they backed off.

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Yeah, the S is digital-only, which is why it's cheaper. The Series X is the one with the physical drive.

Sword_of_Dusk

Ace Attorney
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There's a digital only version of the PS5 as well. A bit cheaper, though I wouldn't recommend it if you own a ton of physical PS4 titles like I do

Ami

World Maker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
RMMV

Is anybody furious at Stadia shutting down?​

i'm never using Stadia & who cares B)

Celestrium

Worldsmith
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I see a lot of comments on google abandoning projects, but aren't the other video game companies just as guilty? Nintendo abandoned many projects like the Virtual boy and the WiiU. The Dreamcast from Sega was a let down. It is sometimes difficult to see what will stick...I hate when certain series that depend on online components just drop that part of the service. Grand Kingdom looking at you!
I empathize with your frustration, it's difficult to deal with things like this.

Sword_of_Dusk

Ace Attorney
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I see a lot of comments on google abandoning projects, but aren't the other video game companies just as guilty?
The difference is that it happens across multiple different companies. Google as a whole can't really be trusted to stick with something and are really quick to pull the plug.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

That moment when I am listening to another instructor teach and I am thinking…I have been doing this for almost 30 years…I know this material…I teach this material…and you are confusing the crap out of me…let alone the students. What the actual $&@#! are you talking about? :eek:
Help me make a choice. Which one makes more sense?
A. Range style 1.pngDiamond shape
B.Range style 2.png Square shape
I created a skill that can only be used if there are enemies within the player's range. When the player's range is 2, which one do you think is more appropriate to describe the range area?
Just once I would like to see some innocent person stumble upon a body in a crime show and instead of scream they sigh and just say, "Found another one."
Can we get like a RPGM VXA Pro edition with all the limits gone!!
I drew @TheoAllen 's Cecilia~

yVLlTmK.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kaifsaifi009897