Kyoku

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm sorry if my title doesn't make much sense, I just couldn't find the right word for "Having monsters actually visible and will chase you when your spotted and when you are touched then prepare for battle, but maybe they notice or chase you a bit differently depending on the monster type" The last idea is pretty much like Xenoblade, mostly because some monsters will react to the characters in different ways, maybe they react to sound: Then have them chase you when you make sounds, maybe they are sight orientated: Make them chase you when your seen, maybe they have terrible eyesight: Okay, they only notice you when your close, maybe they have super eyes: Okay, they will notice you from far away. I think you get what I'm saying.

But right now I'm trying to ask what would you guys think of this. Is having monsters visible and on the map and I don't know, maybe they'll have random chances of even showing up plus having them have different ways of sensing okay? Too annoying? Kinda too much?

Fernyfer775

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I prefer on-map encounters (what you're talking about) over random battles ANY DAY. Nothing is more annoying to me than trying to explore a dungeon and getting into battle after battle...after battle...AFTER BATTLE! At least with on-map encounters, you can avoid some or most of them if you're just trying to explore and not be flooded with combat.

Sardonic

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I'm with Fernyfer775, I find random encounters tedious and inconvenient, and would much rather have an on-map encounter system in my games.

In fact, I have not used any random encounters for a while, and almost all battles in my current project are triggered by contact with on-screen enemies.

There is not a whole bunch of base resource sprites for all the enemies you may want to add to your game, but there are plenty of sprite resources out

there if you look around, so yeah, I would say go for the on-map encounters.

Sanct

Password Unenthusiast
Reaction score
First Language
Serbian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Once, when I tried making something I forgot to make it viable for you to be able to actually escape the encounters, so make sure you have something set up in case the player escapes the fight.

Gothic Lolita

YouTube Starlet
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
To be honest, I prefer visible monster over random encounters.

Sadly the new Final Fantasy 15 is it only doing partial that way. They're visible, but often with infinite spawns, which sucks badly...
But games like Tales Of Berseria doing it 100% correct. They're visible and respawn after xx Seconds.
That way you don't get overwhelmed with respawns but have an option to grind too.
Without respawning, it can be frustrating, if the game is challenging. Because not everyone can beat the highest challenges.
So if they can level up with grinding, they have a chance to finish it with higher levels. Else they need to git gud. :D
And only a few players are willed to do so. ;)
I hope that was helpful or useful for you in any way. :) (\ô/)

*EDIT*
With different detection rates makes it much more interesting in my opinion. 
But it's hard to code, if you can do it, it would be actually awesome. <3 /)

Last edited by a moderator:

Ryzler

Princess in Distress
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Depends on the game. But I think you will find that most players prefer on map encounters.

Personally I prefer one of two ways:

Either first: On map encounters for most enemies, but enemies that you don't see coming (such as ghosts or even birds, plants in a forest, anything that blends in) have random encounters. That always made sense to me and I quite like it.

Or second: Random battles for the bare minimum battles to keep a player active and giving them enough experience/gold/loot/whatever to get through the game's bosses and mandatory enemies. These random battles have to occur VERY far apart. Then I add on map encounters in on top of this, making them easy enough to avoid, so that players can chose to grind faster by targeting the monsters on the map. I also do things with the on map encounters that change with the game world, such as my "Wulf Men" becoming "Wulf Beasts" at night time.

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Just like the others above, I do prefer on-map encounters because that way I can decide if I want to fight or not... This is especially helpful when the game requires me to backtrack a lot since having random encounters just becomes a nuisance, esp when ur level is way above those enemies that you don't even get anything worthwhile from the enemies at all

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
More players seem to prefer the on map encounter system from what I've seen. In fact, I can only think of two drawbacks to it:

1) Players might dodge all fights, then complain they are underleveled to defeat a boss.

2) The features encounter half and encounter none are useless now.

Personally, if you were to do random fights that are not visible, I think for it to work in this day and age you'd have to set it up so that the player can use something to avoid all fights for a while, and also consider setting it up so that if your level is above x on a map, no one attacks you as they fear you too much to do so. Then it might work.

Stanley

Nobody, Joystrike Scientist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Malay, Lotudian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I grew up with random-encounter RPG's. But I think I prefer touch/on-map encounter. But maybe make them both optionally accessible?

Last edited by a moderator:

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Stanley I always give my players the option, because I know that there are some players who do prefer random, and it doesn't make much more work to cater for both.  The majority, though, do prefer on-map.

@Gothic Lolita two ways round the issue of re-spawning, if you don't want to do a timed re-spawn, which I personally find irritating if I'm trying to explore, is [1] In the battle processing command in the 'if win' option, put 'erase event'.  That will remove the enemy until the next time you enter the map.  or [2] Have a second blank page, conditioned by a switch.  In the 'if win' option, turn that switch ON.  On the transfer out of the whole dungeon, turn the switch OFF.  That way you can re-enter maps while you are in the dungeon without encountering anything.  Later on in the game, if you want the player to backtrack and not fight low level enemies, you could turn that switch back ON.  You'd have to remember to have a second page on your transfer out event so that you don't accidentally turn it OFF again.

Wavelength

MSD Strong
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
This is usually known as "Visible Encounters" (or Visual Encounters) in our community, and is generally considered a better system than actual Random Encounters.  After all, your player can (at least attempt to) avoid committing to fights that they are not in the mood for, and can quickly seek out fights that they are in the mood for.  It's much more player-friendly, in theory.

Implementing VE's well in RPG Maker is harder than it would first appear.  You have to avoid all kinds of pitfalls like:

• Having a VE immediately trigger another combat if the party Escapes from combat
  • Poorly representing the encounter (troop) type with the chosen VE graphic
  • Respawning VEs immediately upon re-entering a room, if dungeons consist of many rooms
  • Having VEs tend to cluster up in one place on your map
  • Making VEs too hard or too easy to avoid (some players don't mind too easy, but it does tend to reduce excitement)
  • Making dungeon paths too narrow, making it impossible to avoid a VE (unless you are including choke points as an intentional design choice)
  • Allowing VEs on the world map to wander way out of their intended territory

Stanley

Nobody, Joystrike Scientist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Malay, Lotudian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Kes I see, that's good. Ya, there times where I'd like hurry forth doing the story things, but there are times where I'd like to just lay back and relax(aha you call this relax?) and do mindless grinding. :D

Oddball

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
i think if your going to have both visual and random, you need to find away to turn random encounters off after a certain number of steps in any encounter

because whats most annoying (at least for me) is entering an encounter shortly after youve left one

LightningLord2

Psionic Bird Thrower
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
I like the combination - Etrian Odyssey has a timer that lets you know when your chance to get a random encounter increases (works step by step rather than real time) and it also has so called Field-On Enemies, which move whenever you do. You can expect these Field-On Enemies (FOE for short) to be way above the power level of the random encounters in the area, to the point that they'll wipe the floor with a party that can handle the random encounters. An even more nasty thing is that they get to move every turn you spend inside a battle, meaning that they might catch up to you and join the battle.

shadefoundry

Is Sinistar
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
While I prefer on map encounters personally, maybe you could implement a system that gives the option between either random or on map encounters. I think the game dragon fantasy for the 3ds does that and it works really well since you can play based on preference.

Guiguimu

Walking Disaster
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
In my point of view, random encounters are more annoying, but like many have said before, you can have both. In open areas have VE, but then, in grass areas an enemy can surprise you and attack! In a river a big Catfish can come out of nowhere to eat your cereal, and other things like that. It depends on the situation.. But it is more important what you prefer. And you can create a variable to a type of monster to stop respawning after a certain number of kills, too. Like DS II, I mean. I love DSII because of that. Makes me cherish my souls even more XD

monkeyintartan

TartanMonkey
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
Humm for me i think it works well having both. In my game i have the maps i would consider "Open Air" or the World map for example with Visual Enemies. That way the play can avoid them , especially if they are back tracking for something and have to do a bit of traveling.

But when it comes to a dungeon or a temple in my case i have the encounters as random. I prompt a player in an event or something saying we need to be careful here as we entering a ! un- warded" or "dark" areas or something along those lines. Making it clear that you may not know when you could get attacked as enemies could be hiding.

I think this ads more dynamic to a game as it set out areas the player has to plan for. Or grind to level up for example.

Tai_MT

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think I've only ever played two "on map" encounter systems I liked. Earthbound is by far my favorite. Instant wins for encounters is a must for me to enjoy these. Along with being able to be surprised and surprise enemies based upon the direction they're looking. The other version is... the one in Secret of Mana or Secret of Evermore where the entire battle takes place on the field. Positioning and blocking are important then.

Any other "on map encounter" system I've ever run into has been... well... not very fun for me. As someone who fights every battle he runs across, here's what usually happens to me: I enter a floor/area. I clear it entirely. Move on. If I want to grind for XP or specific drops from specific enemies... I now have to traverse your map several dozen times to farm JUST the ones I want. Or, I have to leave the floor and come back JUST to fight the monsters I already fought again.

On top of which, a lot of these "on map" encounters usually just sacrifice "you can be attacked randomly" for "this area is too narrow to dodge these enemies, so you have to fight them anyway". Unless you're giving players a lot of room to dodge these encounters, then there's no reason to have them on screen. Which means, your maps are going to be a lot larger or a lot more "bare bones" than most maps in order to accommodate player movement and options. After all, if there isn't a reasonable way to avoid those on map encounters, what's the point of even having them to begin with?

I personally prefer the "random" encounters because they usually come with items that have "no encounter" and "half encounter" on them. Perfect items for exploring and bypassing enemies. Much harder to do this with "on map" encounters. Much much harder. And most never pull it off. I'd rather be able to skip the battle screen entirely than have to mash "Escape" for all the encounters while I'm exploring.

That's just my two cents.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Studio Blue is playing the RPG Maker game Phil Alone live now! Phil may be alone, but you don't have to be, come join us in chat!

I'm in desperate need of environment sprites and tilesets for my game. If anyone is interested please DM me im willing to pay.
All badges and prizes for the Let's Make a Scene Heart Edition event SHOULD be out. If you participated and haven't received either or both, send me a PM.
I've played Dragon's Dogma recently. Now I know the feel when you play RPG but without fast travel or vehicle to roam around.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Armexploit