HumanNinjaToo

The Cheerful Pessimist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Maybe. The thing about damage formulas is that you don't even have to show them to the player. I've found it easier to explain things without getting into the particular details of a damage formula. I'd probably say something like "this skill uses the target's own strength against itself." Maybe that's not the best description possible but I feel as though it gets the point across. However, when you have skills that rely on dealing damage outside of the player's control, like using the enemies atk against itself, it gets more complicated for the description because the player doesn't know what the enemy stats are. Since the player can see their own character stats, and they have control on decreasing or increasing them, it's a lot easier to describe the skill damage as "damage based on player strength" or whatever.

Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D aka "Staf00"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I guess i need to use the script @Frostorm suggested then
Unfortunately, that plugin won't take into account the target's stats since it can't guarantee if a unit is targeted in the 1st place, such as when displaying the description outside of combat. Unless perhaps if you added a conditional to check if/which unit is targeted. No guarantees that would work though...

In this particular case though, I would just go with "Deals damage equal to the target's ATK." It's clear, concise, and to the point.

Or maybe this: "Deals damage equal to the target's ATK stat."

Wavelength

Edge of Eternity
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I thought the same thing as many people here (deals more damage against higher-ATK opponents), but it's worth noting that as people who are used to working with stats and RPG Maker's engine, we're going to catch onto that a lot easier than non-designer players would.

I think that "Deals damage equal to the target's ATK stat", as @Frostorm suggested gets the point across well, and better than any other iteration that's been suggested in this topic so far.

It still doesn't address the fact that the player won't know what the opponent's ATK stat is (especially if you're using both ATK and MAT and it's not clear which stat an opponent's "Lightning Sword" or "Throw Boulder" attack came from), but in most cases that won't be a huge deal. In general, if you're signposting things well visually, the player will be able to tell that, for example, an Orc Berserker would have a high ATK stat.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Good news! I have located an amazing 3D website called SketchFab that has rotatable renderings of famous statues!
Picked up a physical copy of Megadimension Neptunia VII for the PS4 today. It's pretty good. I'm having a lot of fun with it.
The only upside of this remote semester was the plenty of funny photoshop material those facecams provided. Not that I would do that. Ever.
New skit is up for grid battle system. Less tactics battle engine looking battle systems, more final fantasy/breath of fire looking battle systems.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nwr