Is it even worth it?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by HazukiWolfe, Jul 6, 2019.

1. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    No need to be sorry, just letting you know. :)

Wavelength likes this.
  2. VitaliaDi

VitaliaDi Jedi Master Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I made an entire game with assets I made completely myself and it was appreciated because it was something new to see. And your assets look nicer than mine lol it looks like you spent a nice amount of time. Those icons are actually very nice. Don't doubt yourself and recognize the value of originality. People appreciate it I assure you. It's actually looked for in games made in these types of engines.

kneel_before_ME likes this.
  3. kneel_before_ME

kneel_before_ME Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    What's a coincidence, just when i was trying to create a topic to discuss about it, i found your topic.
    Now if you're making game just for fun, i think it doesn't matter to even ask "worth it or not".

But, for someone trying/ attemping to have game development become the main job like me.
    I start to think that, game development nowaday doesn't even worth it anymore.
    I talked to several indie dev/publishers (included RPGMaker & non-RPGMaker games),
    the sale rate on Steam of their games was around 100-400 units at average.
    Now assume that you make a good game, and you sold 400 units for $8/unit
    (normally RPGMaker games has price of $5 or so)
    You only get 8*400 = 3200 * 70% (Steam take 30%) = $2240
    And for a single/2 persons be able to make a good RPG game within 1 years,
    that was something really impressive, so we're assuming the best case can happen.

Now, develop game get you ~$2300 in exchange for 1 year of hard work?
    Even an average job in my country can earn double that much.

I am really disappointed about game dev now. Though i invested so much into my game
    that i can't quit it mid way, but i don't see any good future for it.

If you're aiming to become a serious game developer and want to live by developing game,
    i think we'd better just quit it. Dev game only fit for a side-job, a hobby.

4. HazukiWolfe

HazukiWolfe Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @VitaliaDi Thank you. I am working hard to make the icons look good ^_^

@kneel_before_ME me and my husband are just making this game cause we want others to enjoy a story we made. if we make money off it then its a bonus. I just want people to enjoy it

VitaliaDi likes this.
  5. somenick

somenick Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @kneel_before_ME Yeah being a game dev is a tough one to pull off in this era. There is an oversaturation of games of all kinds out there, many absolutely free. On the other side of the spectrum, there are these next-gen console super ambitious AAA games, so its quite hard to really make a scratch in the market. So in my case it is pretty much a hobby.

@HazukiWolfe These graphics look great! :) Did all from scratch? I mostly edit existing stuff with GIMP and its change tone functionalities (I couldnt draw to save myself, LOL)

6. HazukiWolfe

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @somenick yeah all the ones you see I made myself. ^.^

somenick likes this.
  7. Indinera

Indinera Indie Dev Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Well you'd get a nice extra if you'd release it on my website as well, especially if your game is a classic RPG.
    And you can make a good game in much less than 1 year if you're working on it full time.

8. Marquise*

Marquise* Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French-Canadian
    *looks work of the OP* What do you mean, not good at pixel art??? o_O

9. HazukiWolfe

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @Marquise* I could be a lot better. I feel like they are noobish

10. Marquise*

First Language:
    French-Canadian
    Nah~! Looks like your avatar moving. You want something more noir looking in the icon department, maybe look at recolor/hue/desat possibilities. I am certain everyone needing one of those icons will be happy as is or ask your terms for modding. (yeah, we never know what can be of use soon).

11. HazukiWolfe

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @Marquise* I was wanting more kinda a harvest moon like look

12. Marquise*

First Language:
    French-Canadian
    Your style may be different or feel your own but to be honest, it`ll bring more truth and personality to your game. Plus, looking close your food items, yes some could use a bit more shadows and highlights (hamburger) but most are already in the good lining for a Harvest Moon (sea critter department).

13. Aesica

Aesica undefined Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This is going to sound pretty horrible, but I kind of get the feeling that a lot of why game development pays such a pittance these days is due to having to compete with developers from lower cost-of-living countries, plus the overall saturation of games out there. I may want to sell my game for $XX.XX in order to pay for my own cost of living here in Murika, but if a bunch of other developers can charge far less than that to cover their own cost of living...why would people choose my game when there's cheaper options?

I've been considering it myself due to the possibility of brand recognition and all. Do you have the terms of doing so up somewhere? (publisher's cut, my own rights to self-publish on other portals, etc?)

14. Indinera

Indinera Indie Dev Veteran

First Language:
    French
    @Aesica better you drop me a PM! Especially if your game is close to completion! :ninja::rock-right:

15. Aesica

Aesica undefined Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thanks, I'll try to remember for later though since there's still a ways to go. I'm mostly done with mapping, but then there's enemy design, balance, polish, and testing.

16. Roden124

Roden124 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I like your art! But, regardless of that, art "quality" doesn't matter.
    If you go down that rabbit hole, you'll eventually compare yourself to professional teams who slave around the clock for years.
    Most people won't know you use public assets and only an extremely specific and unflatteringly weird minority will care.

It's special because you made it. That will come through when you put your soul into your work,
    and it'll be especially amplified here because you're creating something with someone you love. :kaoblush:

17. HazukiWolfe

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @Roden124 Thank you ^_^ This makes me feel better

Roden124 likes this.
  18. IguanaGuy

IguanaGuy Developing I.C.B.M. :Unleashed! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hey I just saw this post and wanted to say that I have been working on my game for about 2 years. (Mostly evenings and weekends as I get the chance) and have felt the same way as you mentioned in your first comments. If you enjoy making your game then let that be your platform. There will always be people who don't like your story or characters but that is just the way things are. ( Hence so many types of video games out there.) If you can push yourself by making custom stuff for your game then (yah) but if not, then do your best with the talent you have. I think what is important here is that you enjoy what you are making and if you can be proud of it then great. If other people get a hold of it and like it as well , then that is even better! Also - if you feel like you need ideas and help and stuff, feel free to PM me anytime.

19. HazukiWolfe

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @IguanaGuy thank and I have felt better after reading what people have said. I'm the kind of person that worries about what others think and I'm trying to work on that. Right now I'm working on my icons and maps. I'm not very good with the event stuff

IguanaGuy likes this.
  20. somenick

somenick Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I think the USA has been dealing with this issue on multiple levels for a good while now, of things being outsourced elsewhere to bring down costs.

Yes, I agree that there are like a gazillion games out there, many of them for free, so its going to be hard to stand out. At some point I had my own arcade website (for a good 10 years!) but I finally let it go, at some point was not even covering hosting costs. Too many such sites popped up everywhere (and most are now gone too). Recently been more focused on some affiliate marketing and in things related to cryptocurrency (Bitcoin, Litecoin), so kinda stopped being a game dev (which I only ever was around year 2010 ish in the Flash world). Even so, I am working on a free scifi RPG, but it may involve some ads for some programs or similar.

@Indinera You have a games publishing site? My new game will be playable on web browser (some multiplayer-ish elements where the actions of a player can affect things for others) and will be self hosted, but I may also release a stand alone version of the game later this year.