Is it legal to take Public Domain resources for RPGMV Game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cossio

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
Español
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I have downloaded images from WikiCommons (Public Domain), I would like to know if it is allowed to use this content and modify it to create resources in RPG MV, I am a foreigner and I do not know how copyright works, I just basics it I know, but I know it is a complex issue.
A serious example: to take something already created and modify it to x% to consider it new.
I create my resources based on predetermined resources, but I just wanted to ask that.
An apology if this topic is not in its correct category and my low knowledge about of this topic.

Last edited:

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
If you are sure that it is indeed public domain and not held by any copyright, I dont see a problem.

Poryg

Dark Lord of the Castle of Javascreeps
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Czech
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Public domain means that it can be used for any purpose, commercial or non-commercial, royalty-free, with the owner yielding their copyright rights. So yes.

Last edited:

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP

I've moved this thread to General Discussion. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@cossio if it really is public domain then there is no problem using it.

However, most images you find on the internet are not - you need to make sure that they are from a reliable website that clearly puts them into public domain.

cossio

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
Español
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks, right now i have more clear this topic, i think.. this topic can closed 8).

Dreadshadow

Lv 38 Tech Magician
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Don't close it yet. OP had contacted me on Steam so it would be nice if people can share their thoughts on something more specific to this.
Is wikimedia commons considered 100% reliable if something there is under Public Domain license?

For example:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Mona_Lisa,_by_Leonardo_da_Vinci,_from_C2RMF_retouched.jpg

Leonardo Da Vinci's Mona Lisa. Picture is under PD, the question is, can you create a tileset containing a painting of Mona Lisa?
How do we approach it? Do we give the obvious credit to Da Vinci?
That was a part of his question and I am also curious to know the answer.

Last edited:

Aoi Ninami

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Leonardo (it is incorrect to refer to him as "da Vinci") died in 1519 so it's safe to say copyright does not apply to his works. You can do whatever you like, and you could credit it but you don't have to. (The Mona Lisa is so recognisable that most people will know it anyway.)

Dreadshadow

Lv 38 Tech Magician
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Leonardo (it is incorrect to refer to him as "da Vinci") died in 1519 so it's safe to say copyright does not apply to his works. You can do whatever you like, and you could credit it but you don't have to. (The Mona Lisa is so recognisable that most people will know it anyway.)
Well yes, my thoughts exactly. But my thoughts is not what applies to the Copyright Laws around the World, thus making the assumption that it should be like that is an one way ticket to trouble, so, that's EXACTLY why I am asking. First to make sure if Wikimedia Commons is always accurate and second if it is ok to be used by other artists under PD.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
can you create a tileset containing a painting of Mona Lisa?
it's safe to say copyright does not apply to his works. You can do whatever you like, and you could credit it but you don't have to.
Only if you do it completely by yourself.
If you for example use a photograph of the Mona Lisa, then that Photograph has a copyright to the photographer in addition to the copyright of Leonardo.

Of course no one will bother to even check this in case of Mona Lisa, but it would come into part of the discussion with lesser known works that are less often referenced and photographed.

Dreadshadow

Lv 38 Tech Magician
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMMV

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
in that specific case yes, and if nothing is mentioned as to who created the picture then it could be limited as credit to Leonardo.

But that is only because it is both a well-known website and a well-known painting. If you get a picture reference from a random home-user private page on a third-world-country-hosting then I wouldn't use it even if it claims to be public domain. It might be or might not be true.

Dreadshadow

Lv 38 Tech Magician
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMMV

This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Behold! The Sea Doggo.
I am dead tired but at the same time I really wanna write a tutorial x_x
Looked out side and couldn't see the neighbor's house through the snow. That age old Christmas song started going through my head. "It's a lovely day to say the heck at home."
Last year, I planted a bunch of spinach, and one plant wasn't doing well, so I transferred it to a separate pot. All its kin died while it hibernated over winter. Now it thrives. I've named it Prince Spinach.
Scooby Doo on Zombie Island is anime and you cant change my mind.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sadpan