HexMozart88

The Master of Random Garbage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Is it legal if my sprites look a bit like XP's RTP, if I don't own the game? I didn't use the template from the engine, I just found the resources and customized them, and it looks like XP. 

shun front 1.png

Espon

Lazy Creator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Gibberish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
As long as you're not editing the actual XP sprites it should be fine.  That particular sprite you posted I'd say should be safe to use.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
this question has nothing to do with their look or similiar things, it has to do with their source.

If the artist who originally made them allowed you to use or modify them, then it is legal.

If you found resources ripped from games or where you can't point to credits and term-of-use of the original artist, then the use is NOT legal.

HexMozart88

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Andar well, on the site, I think it says okay for any project, but with Google Translate, it's hard to tell. Here's the link to the terms of use. 

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Here are the terms for Fayforest.

It looks like you need to own XP to use the sprites.

HexMozart88

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Urgh. Well, that sucks. Ten hours I will never get back  :distrust:

Last edited by a moderator:

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Not necessarily. If I were you, I'd keep an eye out for sales. XP often goes for pretty cheap. It could be worth it to pick up just to be able to use the resources and resources based on them.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
C'mon!

RMXP is a whopping great $25 to buy, and can be far less if you keep an eye out for sales.  Humble Bundle offers it reasonably often and you can get it for a couple of bucks IIRC.

If that's really enough to stop you in your tracks, at least you'll know to check terms before grabbing sprites from online sources.

Last edited by a moderator:

HexMozart88

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
To be fair, I did try. But when Google translated the site for me I didn't see anything about needing XP. I don't know. Because I don't think I would really consider making a game in XP, just because it's old, and probably far harder to work with than Ace. Guess it wasn't a total waste of time. I did learn a bit about spriting, but as far as a style to use, I'm back to the drawing board, 'cause I can't do sprite body composition to save my life.  

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If you're using Ace, the XP sprites (and those based on them) don't really gel with the tileset anyway.  You'd need to manually make ALL your sprites, which would be a massive undertaking.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Behold! The Sea Doggo.
I am dead tired but at the same time I really wanna write a tutorial x_x
Looked out side and couldn't see the neighbor's house through the snow. That age old Christmas song started going through my head. "It's a lovely day to say the heck at home."
Last year, I planted a bunch of spinach, and one plant wasn't doing well, so I transferred it to a separate pot. All its kin died while it hibernated over winter. Now it thrives. I've named it Prince Spinach.
Scooby Doo on Zombie Island is anime and you cant change my mind.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sadpan