Is it me or does it feel like everyone is abandoning VX Ace?

deathsia

Pegisister
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
For those of us who haven't forked out the cash for MV as of yet, it feels like those who can afford to(primarily resource makers and scripters) are flocking to the new version leaving us behind with little to no support...

anyone else feel the same way or am i just imaging this?

Ratty524

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Same thing has happened at every new RM release ever.

Rikifive

Bringer of Happiness
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
Other
It's just how it works ~ old is replaced by new.

To answer your question - no, you're not the only one. Ace activity has been drastically lowered. And no, it is not a blind accusation, because I have a proof, though it's not important.

That's true, that many people have jumped to MV leaving Ace behind. Also it's true, that it is harder to get support, as many people are busy with MV.

I'm still using Ace and I don't think I'd jump to MV at this moment even if I'd have that for free, because I'm having projects under development and with Ruby I'm able to customize or create things I want, where in JS I'd not know what to do.

It will sound 'annoying' and selfish, but I didn't liked the MV release. Also that's why I was even not hyped before, because I knew it will bring only problems for Ace users.

Anyway I'll be still using Ace and I'll be not leaving it anytime soon. (=

Ms Littlefish

Dangerously Caffeinated
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've seen many people still using VXAce for multiple reasons, but I find it pretty natural that so many people have started integrating themselves into MV. It just tends to be the life-cycle of a piece of software or hardware. From the perspective of a product life-cycle and the portion of the market who is currently adopting, makes sense to me.

Compared to VXAce, of course the volume of requests for MV is loud. While VXAce doesn't have everything imaginable, it definitely is a much more mature software with an established base of knowledge and resources. There will still be plenty of questions, but certainly less than when VXAce was brand new itself. Either way, I still see all sorts of requests and questions fulfilled. For XP, too!

The outpouring of MV support is due to it's absolute newness. We don't have the same base of knowledge or resources stashed up yet.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
People using the new maker does not mean they are leaving you without support.

XP is around 10 years old and we still support it. People who have script issues or requests can still post here.

What kind of support do you need for Ace that you're not getting? It WILL be a case that fewer people will want to write new scripts for it over time, but that doesn't mean there's nobody who can help you.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Personally, I think that those of us still using ACE (like me) are just being quiet on the forums as we are busy with our projects, and don't need much right now.

trouble time

Victorious
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Yeah, I'm still using ACE, though I plan to move to MV once my project is done since Javascript is easier for me to understand than ruby.

deathsia

Pegisister
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
People using the new maker does not mean they are leaving you without support.

XP is around 10 years old and we still support it. People who have script issues or requests can still post here.

What kind of support do you need for Ace that you're not getting? It WILL be a case that fewer people will want to write new scripts for it over time, but that doesn't mean there's nobody who can help you.
Well of course you guys are going to "offer support" your webstaff of the official product but it doesn't mean it will be "given" that isn't too say the offical web staff won't try to help because i'm sure they will but for stuff like patching scripts, compatibility patches, and resources, getting one of those was hard enough already but with MV's release its become nearly impossible.

nio kasgami

VampCat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
false assumption here

scripter or people don't abandon Ace

proof I have MV and I still do a whole ATB system for someone with AI and such.

We jump on MV for offert new ressources and the fact it's new.

why they have "less" support on Ace is because Ace is more "mature" have TONS of ressources tons of script ton's and ton's of tutorial and way's to explain.

When MV don't have a lot's so this why us creator jumped on MV for provide material for you user.

and this not because they have a new software Ace gonna fall in the void :/

Rikifive

Bringer of Happiness
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
Other
That's true that Ace is not going to die, however its interest dropped and nobody can deny.

At least at this moment, many scripters are busy with MV, which automatically makes it harder to ask for something in Ace.

Perhaps in future it will change, but for now it is pretty noticeable.

Personally I'm not having any necessary support threads active, only some discussions, so let's say I'm free from that problem.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well of course you guys are going to "offer support" your webstaff of the official product
I am not referring to staff. I am referring to the forums where people can post and get support from other members, staff or not.

If scripts and compatibility patches and resources were "hard enough already" to get help with, before MV's arrival, it's likely because your request is a difficult one, and if you continue to find it hard to get help, it doesn't mean you can blame MV for it. People have to be interested in what you're doing, have the time, and not find it too difficult, before they will provide assistance. I am sure artists just love doing art. Scripters love scripting. If they can do it for two or three engines, they are not going to refuse one just because it's not the latest engine.

DarknessFalls

Rpg Maker Jesus - JS Dev.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
MV is much better platform with the new technoligies. Thats one reason. the other is "its shiny" (lame but true :p )

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I have MV, converted my project to it, but have gone back to Ace for several reasons. At the moment, MV is not the best engine for what I want to do.

when you look at the flow of queries in the Ace forum, a significant percentage were basic "how do I do this simple thing in events, or must I use a script" sort of question. Those are now over in MV, because that's where the new users are. Inevitably that makes the Ace forum a lot quieter. However, those queries that are posted are being answered in about the same time span as before, so - at least so far- I haven't seen anyone stuck because of lack of interest.

TheGamedawg

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I'm pretty sure that's just everyone excited to try out the new version of RPG Maker.  Give it about half a year and people will decide which maker suits their creation process and games better.  Personally, I am really liking MV.

Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
(...) It just tends to be the life-cycle of a piece of software or hardware.(...)
This sums up my feelings. A couple of years later the same thing might happen to MV as well.

That said the main reason I decided not to give continuity on my project on VX Ace and wait for MV to get on a sale is for what people would consider trivial: the character generator is better (much better in my view) than VX Ace's and the amount of plugins coming that matches what I want for my project is impressive, almost as if the community were reading my mind or something. Besides I'm Ruby, Java, illiterate and I do nothing fancier than writing stories, so the (apparent) easiness of handling plugins (scripts) on MV also attracted me much more.

Tsukihime

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
The more I work on MV, the more I feel it is suitable for the projects I have in mind. Most of the plugins I'm writing are things that I've never done in Ace.

I do not actively maintain my Ace scripts but if someone has an issue to report I still look into it.

DarknessFalls

Rpg Maker Jesus - JS Dev.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I worked in  ruby and I worked in javascript, while one infuriates me over the other its what keeps me working  in MV :) .

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I somewhat recently started using VX Ace, and after tinkering around with it for a few weeks I don't plan on abandoning it for quite a long while. After figuring out how to do a lot of complex things on my own I checked the forums to see if there were easier ways, and to my surprise some of the ideas hadn't been posted on the forums yet. So if it's any consolation I plan on writing some new tutorials for VX Ace, and posting some of my resources that I'm not as attached to.~

Sated

puking up frothing vitriolic sarcastic spittle
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I still use RPGMaker 2003 and I can still find help with that if I need it (although I'm more likely to be the one helping but whatever) so I don't think it really matters whether or not people are moving on to RMMV. If you ask for help with a given maker, especially on this forum but also on some of the other RM* forums, you'll probably be able to find it. 

byronclaude

Master of all things... (except the things I am no
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
MV still works crappy on my computer...  ...and this is the only RPG Maker engine I have ever had any performance issues with (and my computer is not that old).  Until I can afford a flashy expensive computer, I have zero interest is MV.  

Ace however has functioned flawlessly for me since the first second of use.  I feel ya, it seems that many of the community are "buzzing" about this new MV...   and I have already begun filling my library with as many Ace resources (and their licenses) as I can, as I feel given 2 years, many of the links for those resources are going to become dead links (some of them have already become dead links :( .

I encourage others to back up their Ace resources as well.  Me personally, MV is simply not an option as long as Ace is around.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

One uncomfortable truth that has withstood the test of time, is how most people will stand by while they see a crime happening, unless it's illegal to stand by. We probably wouldn't have stories about "special heroes" or games about heroes if the "everyday common folk" were largely capable of being heroes. Heroes face dangers that most people are not willing to.
I'm having toooo much fun designing the new MP (Mental Psyche) system. I've only worked it out for enemies so far, but it's fun to stun them, then go after their MP and delete them instead to farm for better item drops.
anyone know of a place I can promote my game? sorta like game awards but for indie devs, like a place where I can drop a trailer and like stir up some hype
Doing RPG Maker News for 17th October 2021

That moment when you came up with a very good game title, but when you searched it, it has already been used... T.T

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smitty