Is it possible: Slide menu with animations?

sisus95

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hello!
I am completely new to RPG Maker and the forum, I hope I'm posting my question in the right place :)

I'm wondering if there's a way to create a menu like the one in Super Mario All-Stars for SNES. Here's a linkt to an example:

I'd love for the selected title-screen to also be animated - is this possible?

Thanks in advance :) !

Edit: I posted my question here and in the RPG Maker MV sub-forum since I own both of them :)

Last edited:

Heirukichi

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hello and welcome to the forum. If what you want is just this much you can achieve that with just pictures and events, I recommend taking a look at Andar's tutorial for new users in my signature, it is very informative and it explains everything you need to achieve it.

sisus95

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hello and welcome to the forum. If what you want is just this much you can achieve that with just pictures and events, I recommend taking a look at Andar's tutorial for new users in my signature, it is very informative and it explains everything you need to achieve it.
Thank you :)!
I have looked atAndar's tutorial for new users and can'tfind anything related to what I'm asking... What part of it do you think would help me in achieving what I'm asking for here?

Roninator2

Gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
What part of it do you think would help me in achieving what I'm asking for here
Essentially all of it.
Getting familiar with the editor and deciding if you are going to use events for your sliding menu or find/ask for a script.

What you have shown looks like just pictures. so use an event and display pictures. use conditional branches for input checks.
These things are all covered by reading EVERYTHING in the tutorials.

Also your title description makes me think you want to animate the menu in game not show pictures.
These are different things. There is a script for Ace that will animate the menu. But it doesn't scroll pictures like you showed us.

sisus95

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Essentially all of it.
Getting familiar with the editor and deciding if you are going to use events for your sliding menu or find/ask for a script.

What you have shown looks like just pictures. so use an event and display pictures. use conditional branches for input checks.
These things are all covered by reading EVERYTHING in the tutorials.

Also your title description makes me think you want to animate the menu in game not show pictures.
These are different things. There is a script for Ace that will animate the menu. But it doesn't scroll pictures like you showed us.
Thanks for the more detailed guidance - was what I needed :)

Well, I stated in my post " I'd love for the selected title-screen to also be animated - is this possible? " so I don't understand where the confusion is?

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Edit: I posted my question here and in the RPG Maker MV sub-forum since I own both of them
You should not post the same question in multiple places. Which engine are you using to make your game? That is where you should post, because the answer may be different.

If you want an animated title screen, you will need a script.

Roninator2

Gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
key word.

Makes it two separate questions.
I was speaking of the first which you linked the video.

Again there are scripts for animated title screens, and honestly if you're asking about that; it just tells me that you didn't search.
Google "RPG Maker VX Ace animated title"
You will find several.
There is also a section for lost script uploads. Find that and you'll get a lot of scripts.
I have a folder in there that has all my scripts (except a few big names and paid for scripts) from 2 years ago.

sisus95

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
You should not post the same question in multiple places. Which engine are you using to make your game? That is where you should post, because the answer may be different.

If you want an animated title screen, you will need a script.
Well, I'm asking in both places to see if one has some feature that makes what I want to achieve easier... Say VX Ace will make the process a lot harder, I'd rather use MV - and vice versa.

sisus95

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
key word.

Makes it two separate questions.
I was speaking of the first which you linked the video.

Again there are scripts for animated title screens, and honestly if you're asking about that; it just tells me that you didn't search.
Google "RPG Maker VX Ace animated title"
You will find several.
There is also a section for lost script uploads. Find that and you'll get a lot of scripts.
I have a folder in there that has all my scripts (except a few big names and paid for scripts) from 2 years ago.
Ok, wow, I don't get why you seem so aggressive and degrading?

Not going to comment on my use of the word "also" - that's ridiculous to make such a fuss about in my opinion...

I have already done a lot of searching... You write as if I'm an idiot.
I am not looking for "Animated titles" since they only seem to be able to feature overlay animations or movements. I want to add an actual animation with different frames for each slider-menu item.

I have tried out scripts, specifically Iavra Gif for MV - but I can't find any documentation on how the plugin actually works. I'm fumbling in the dark with no knowledge of how to make these things work.

Are any of those scripts in your folder able to achieve animated menu-items that is on a slider setup like in the video I provided?

Edit: To avoid any confusion on what I mean by animated: Think of it like a gif.

Roninator2

Gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I have tried out scripts, specifically Iavra Gif for MV
for each slider-menu item
No I was not being rude or aggressive. I only spoke like you were a new member and new to the engine.
Speaking 'also' is the same as saying 'and', so you were asking for two things.
While they are similar it is still two questions. Honestly we could yap back and forth all day and make each other annoyed but that derails the topic.

It sounds like you're combining different things.
For us Animated title is the start screen. Select new game, continue or exit.
Animated menu is when you're in the game and press X or esc to access the menu.

So it sounds more like you want the animated menu, but it also sounds like you only want it for the one 'menu'.
like you go into items and in there it is animated.

Would you be able to be more specific on where in the game this animation is?

Also Plugins are for MV and MZ, scripts are for VX Ace and VX and XP.
The two different formats are not cross platform.
Scripts cannot be used in MV and Plugins cannot be used in VX Ace.
MV is Javascript, VX Ace is Ruby.

I don't know if there is a script for gif images. VX Ace does not support gif's natively.
But using separate images to 'simulate' a gif is possible.
This goes back to learning the engine and the show picture commands and have it timed on a parallel process.

I know there are scripts that will animate the bust image for when the message box is typing words to make it look like the character is talking.
So it is certainly possible.
Perhaps someone will see this and offer to make a script for you, or you could request one in the commission section.
That's your choice, or of course you can do it with events, but that is only possible (AFAIK) if it is not in the menu.

sisus95

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
No I was not being rude or aggressive. I only spoke like you were a new member and new to the engine.
Speaking 'also' is the same as saying 'and', so you were asking for two things.
While they are similar it is still two questions. Honestly we could yap back and forth all day and make each other annoyed but that derails the topic.

It sounds like you're combining different things.
For us Animated title is the start screen. Select new game, continue or exit.
Animated menu is when you're in the game and press X or esc to access the menu.

So it sounds more like you want the animated menu, but it also sounds like you only want it for the one 'menu'.
like you go into items and in there it is animated.

Would you be able to be more specific on where in the game this animation is?

Also Plugins are for MV and MZ, scripts are for VX Ace and VX and XP.
The two different formats are not cross platform.
Scripts cannot be used in MV and Plugins cannot be used in VX Ace.
MV is Javascript, VX Ace is Ruby.

I don't know if there is a script for gif images. VX Ace does not support gif's natively.
But using separate images to 'simulate' a gif is possible.
This goes back to learning the engine and the show picture commands and have it timed on a parallel process.

I know there are scripts that will animate the bust image for when the message box is typing words to make it look like the character is talking.
So it is certainly possible.
Perhaps someone will see this and offer to make a script for you, or you could request one in the commission section.
That's your choice, or of course you can do it with events, but that is only possible (AFAIK) if it is not in the menu.
I am not combining things, you are the bringing in the term "animated title" without it being what I am asking for... And then now pointing out that I seem to be confusing things...

Where in the game it is needed:
Just as with the example of the Super Mario Allstars game. I guess in RPG Maker terms each selection would lead to another map.

I did not know about the difference between plugins and scripts. Nor about Javascript/Ruby.

I am trying to do the whole "show picture commands"-thing and working with parallaxes - this is where I got to myself by Googling, but I'm struggling to make it not bug out at certain areas or to have more than one active from the scripts/plugins I find since they work with only one active animated sequence of pictures per map.
Another problem is making it have the slide effect - I have no idea how to achieve this other than through placing the image/animation on a map tile and then move the character to "scroll". It's not really the ideal way of doing it.

Yeah, my conclusion from what is available after searching, also seems to be that it will not be something I can achieve in the menu...

Roninator2

Gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
the slide effect
The move picture command should do that.

Well as you pointed out in one post you wanted the 'title-screen to also be animated'. So I assumed 'animated title screen'.

Anyways, what you have envisioned makes perfect sense in your mind, and I'm just not following very well.

Shaz? You have any suggestions for sisus95?

Oh, I just remembered a script, I think it was MOG hunter, has an animated battleback using several images for an animation effect.
Might be something to look into. MOG_Battleback_EX

sisus95

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
The move picture command should do that.

Well as you pointed out in one post you wanted the 'title-screen to also be animated'. So I assumed 'animated title screen'.

Anyways, what you have envisioned makes perfect sense in your mind, and I'm just not following very well.

Shaz? You have any suggestions for sisus95?

Oh, I just remembered a script, I think it was MOG hunter, has an animated battleback using several images for an animation effect.
Might be something to look into. MOG_Battleback_EX
" I'd love for the selected title-screen to also be animated " - not the entire screen of the menu/title screen of the game I'm making. Gosh it's hard to explain things... Doesn't help English isn't my first-language.

Basically, going back to the Mario video and using that as an example: I'd like to make the same thing as shown in the video but with each image of a "title-screen", as in each game represented by a square image with its title on it, to be animated.

Since the MOG_Battleback_EX has to do with battles, I haven't delved into this since I didn't think I would be able to make both slide animations happen in battles nor make the troops animated like gifs.

Edit: I would be okay with all of the square "images" to be animated at the same time, it doesn't have to only be the one that is selected.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

My only regret is the portal mirror effect is too subtle to show up in these GIFs. It probably just needs more sparkles. :LZSwink:
Microsoft: Hey, let's waste money advertising the Xbox Series X when nobody has any in stock, we don't seem to be making more, we aren't taking preorders and you can't get on a waiting list. BEST. IDEA. EVER.
So I'm practicing ITC with a spirit box, and decide to try to contact my deceased soulmate. It actually gave me multiple identifiers. Me, still a bit skeptical, asked aloud "Fine but does he still love me?" and the box spoke and printed the word "Forever" at the same time. Been a mess of tears since. :kaocry:
Been scratching away at my game and making progress, but just had a revelation. I'm working in full screen and adjusting all my pictures accordingly, but will they resize if someone's screen is smaller?? I hope this doesn't turn out to be a problem later.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
inkdrips