Is it possible to buy Japanese versions of older RPG makers anymore?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dinkledaberry

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Olde Englishe
Primarily Uses
Hello! Does anyone know of a place or way to buy the Japanese versions of RPG Maker 2000, 2003 or RPG Maker Advance? I know there are several places to download the English versions, but I'd really like to own them legally. Enterbrain's site seems to have 2000 available but only to Japanese citizens I guess? (Hard to tell since I used google translate).

Is it even possible to buy these from Enterbrain or a third party anymore? I would be eternally grateful for any answer given. :)

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You need a japanese shipping adress to buy RM2K, so if you happen to have a friend living in Japan it's possible - otherwise unfortunately no.

If it's about the resources only, there have been requests and discussions to make them purchasable for current makers, but I don't know if or when that might happen...

Endafy

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I have found RM 2K3 disks on e-bay. One was badly scratched and I got it for a buck.

Be very careful, there are fakes. If it is a regular jewel case, or a DVD box, chances are it's a fake or it's missing a tonne of collectors value.

RPG ツクール 95 has no box. The CD came in a red paper sleeve. It came in ASCII Magazine. Finding the original 5 issues it came with are insanely rare. You are talking a few thousand dollars here. The box art was released later as a stand in which shop owners could put up in shops which contained the disks alone. The disks came in the same red sleeve.

RPG ツクール 2000 is hardest to find of the 21st century, and most aren't willing to give theirs up. It comes in a giant plastic case. I can't find a good google image for you, but it is just like the tekken for PS1 case. Inside there is a book which is very heavy. It is the help file in color print. If it is black and white, it is a reprint. Also if the disk says "Enterbrain" instead of "ASCII" it is a fake as these were owned by ASCII. At the time RPG Maker was being made for Playstation and they had a lot of those cases so they used those. There is a sound track CD which is even harder to find which contains all of the RTP, and a couple of other music tracks.

RPG Maker, however, is a differen't beast. They are in a Jewel case marked for Playstation and has a PS logo inside of it. The disk is blue not black on the bottom. It was released by Agetec, Ascii Game Entertainment TEChnology which contains Anime Maker, if it is missing the second program it might be a fake, there were a few of these floating around.

RPG ツクール 2003 and RPG Maker II were released at the same time, RPG Maker II for PS2. RPG ツクール 2003 came with a little plastic doll bobble head thing saying that you can collect all of the RTP Characters but only 1 was released. RPG ツクール 2003 came also in a black sleeve in 4 issues of ASCII Magazine touting the powers of Windows 2000 BUT the screenshots were in Windows XP. The article goes on to mention that it is compatible with Windows 98 SE. It had a paper insert inside of the sleeve with "box art" on it. This was never released in a jewel case. They are generally sold in jewel cases with the original paper insert though, so there will be no art on the back of the jewel case.

In a later issue, RPG ツクール 2000 and 2003 were re-released in Japan in pirated format. The disks are silk screen printed in black and white. 2003 has a gear and 2000 just has a face on it. These are fakes. All ASCII disks are colour silk screen printed.

There have been talks of Enterbrain releasing a "collectors edition" of all of the makers in Japan, but this is only speculation. Any collectors CDs are fakes.

Good luck. All of this information is true, but again the information was lost due to time and Japanese-English not being well documented.

Solo

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
RPG ツクール 2003 came with a little plastic doll bobble head thing saying that you can collect all of the RTP Characters but only 1 was released.
Man, that's just as bad as the broken Mega Man: Powered Up promise. :(

Dark Gaia

Disgruntled Writer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
It's a shame that they don't offer RPG Maker 2003 anymore. Ebay is pretty much your best bet these days, but even then it's rare to find a genuine copy of the old RPG Makers.

Someone I knew once went to Japan and bought a copy of RPG Maker 2003. They thought it would be like RPG Maker on the Playstation so they picked it up and then, when it turned out to be completely different, they passed it on to me. Searching the internet for an English translation (and eventually getting the pirated RM2k3 that everyone knows and loves) is what actually got me into RPG Maker in the first place. As an eleven year old, I was entranced by the idea of actually being able to make my own Final Fantasy games.

I know this is off-topic, but seeing people talking about the older makers makes me remember when I got my own copy of RM2k3 all those years ago :)

dinkledaberry

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Olde Englishe
Primarily Uses
Thanks for all of your help everybody! I found a few deals I'm looking into. You guys rock.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

i deleted anime only family guy from now on
I've discovered Stardew Valley and now I'm an addict. To think that one person designed this...
There a thread out there that tells us the best way to open an RPG that isn't 'the protag gets out of bed'?
Updated my state Stacker Script on itch.io, github is down for some reason (probs just me).
Wife watching Locke and Key. This show is so bad!! You can't just acclimate to discovering magic or magical worlds in less than 60 seconds.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JosephTucker