Is it possible to change regular player sprites to smaller sprites on over-world with a plugin?

Alli Crane

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I was wondering because I don't like how everything looks out of proportion when you're big and the houses are freaking small.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Set up two common events. In one, change the sprites of ALL the actors (don't worry about checking to see if they're in your party or not) to the small sprites. In the other, change the sprites of all the actors to the large one.

On the world map, add an event set to parallel process, and make it call the "change to small sprites" common event and then erase itself. On every event that leads to another map, call the common event that changes the sprites to the large version. Only set one up to start with and check the timing (you don't want to change to large while still on the world map, but you want to change to large before the new map fades in). Get the timing right, and then do all the other transfer events the same way. If you can't get it working, you might just need to set up parallel process events from each map that comes from the world map, to call the common event and then erase itself.

Alli Crane

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Set up two common events. In one, change the sprites of ALL the actors (don't worry about checking to see if they're in your party or not) to the small sprites. In the other, change the sprites of all the actors to the large one.

On the world map, add an event set to parallel process, and make it call the "change to small sprites" common event and then erase itself. On every event that leads to another map, call the common event that changes the sprites to the large version. Only set one up to start with and check the timing (you don't want to change to large while still on the world map, but you want to change to large before the new map fades in). Get the timing right, and then do all the other transfer events the same way. If you can't get it working, you might just need to set up parallel process events from each map that comes from the world map, to call the common event and then erase itself.
This is extremely useful, I really thank you.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
For timing, I would try to call the common event for leaving the world map just after the transfer. I think that's got the best chance of making it happen before the player sees the new map.

Alli Crane

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
For timing, I would try to call the common event for leaving the world map just after the transfer. I think that's got the best chance of making it happen before the player sees the new map.
Thank you. I have another question, is it possible to change worlds before a battle finishes? For example, start a fight, and when the fight finishes you're in a destroyed version of the map ( Another map created ) right after the battle, without a transition screen. Can you achieve that with events too?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
not exactly, there will always be a slight delay when you try to pretend that, because the battlescreen is hiding the regular map and you'll still need to load the other map before it can be displayed.

Alli Crane

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
not exactly, there will always be a slight delay when you try to pretend that, because the battlescreen is hiding the regular map and you'll still need to load the other map before it can be displayed.
Yeah... I notice it... however, I was thinking if that minor delay could be covered up with some temporary White screen? ( After all, the place is " being " destroyed. )

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You could try the following as a script call at the start of your battle. I haven't tested it so don't know if it'll work.

Code:
$gamePlayer.reserveTransfer(mapid, x, y, dir, 0)
In theory, this sets up a transfer that will execute after the battle is over. When the battle finishes and you go back to the map, it MIGHT check to see if a transfer is in progress and go to the new map instead.

Just do it on a very basic battle as a test, and add a Show Text afterwards, to confirm that your troop event is actually running.

Alli Crane

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You could try the following as a script call at the start of your battle. I haven't tested it so don't know if it'll work.

Code:
In theory, this sets up a transfer that will execute after the battle is over. When the battle finishes and you go back to the map, it MIGHT check to see if a transfer is in progress and go to the new map instead.

Just do it on a very basic battle as a test, and add a Show Text afterwards, to confirm that your troop event is actually running.
Thanks! I'll try it out!

padr81

Guy whose game is taking too long.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
N/A
I did it by just fading the screen on transfers and changing the graphic in the event, make them smaller on transfer events to overworld, bigger on transfer events off overworld.

an event like this

fade out screen
if actor_x in party change sprite to actor_x_small
if actor_y in party change sprite etc..
transfer (to world map)
fade in screen.

vice versa when leaving overworld map.

Alli Crane

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I did it by just fading the screen on transfers and changing the graphic in the event, make them smaller on transfer events to overworld, bigger on transfer events off overworld.

an event like this

fade out screen
if actor_x in party change sprite to actor_x_small
if actor_y in party change sprite etc..
transfer (to world map)
fade in screen.

vice versa when leaving overworld map.
That is indeed much simpler. Thanks!

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
That is also how I do mine, calling up a Common Event, though, rather than having to put all those conditionals in each time.

When I leave a location to enter the world map, it calls up the common event 'Going Small' and on leaving the world map, the transfer event calls up the common event 'Going Big'. I do not use conditionals at all - all actors have their sprites changed using the event command 'Change Actor Graphic'. If they are not in the party, they won't be visible anyway. 2 minutes to set up, 2 seconds to implement for each appropriate transfer. Work flow bliss.

Alli Crane

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

Code:

Your theory worked, thank you so much! I notice it instantly transfers the player to any part of a map! All I needed to do was add a dark screen so it looks natural, which is just what I wanted. The thing I couldn't understand about the script were the last two digits, but they didn't cause trouble. I really have to thank you. Btw, This is for my beta game, do you have a name I can use to credit you?

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The second last digit is the player's facing direction - look at your number pad on your keyboard. 8 is up, 2 is down, 4 is left and 6 is right. The last digit is the fade type. I assumed 0 would be the default, which is fade to black. You might try changing it to 1 or 2 and see if that corrects the fade. I'm assuming that's what you mean about adding a dark screen so it looks natural.

You don't have to credit me for these little things :)

Alli Crane

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The second last digit is the player's facing direction - look at your number pad on your keyboard. 8 is up, 2 is down, 4 is left and 6 is right. The last digit is the fade type. I assumed 0 would be the default, which is fade to black. You might try changing it to 1 or 2 and see if that corrects the fade. I'm assuming that's what you mean about adding a dark screen so it looks natural.

You don't have to credit me for these little things :)
Oh! Now I understand, no wonder! Thanks a lot again! :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Who knew a adding menu commands would be so hard for something that should be a basic feature.
When you discover great tileset resources that you completely forgot that you had. :kaomad3::kaopride:
Just got a better look at the MZ RTP. I'm very happy with it, especially the sci-fi tiles and sprites. Glad I pre-ordered.
I've just checked the VisuStella Plugins for MZ and there are already 11 plugins. The Yanfly team(perhaps a big one?) really works so effectively and efficiently that some MZ users can likely use tons of Yanfly plugins right after MZ's released (still 13 days from now). I wonder if any other plugin developer(or team) will try to compete with Yanfly this time, no matter how slim the chance to win is :)
Hello! :kaopride:I am new to RPG Maker, though I have been lurking the forums for a while. :kaoswt: Hope to make some friends and learn some stuff here! :kaothx:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gerreh