Status
Not open for further replies.

panpaper

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I want to create hand-drawn doodle style graphics, so I drew a map on my drawing tablet. Knowing the grid nature of the game engine, I drew the map on a square grid (i.e. outlines for all walls, paths, doors, and objects are aligned to a grid).

To put it simply, I made an image (attached below) and I'm trying to make it into a playable map. I'd like to know if it's possible, before putting anymore time into it.

I've read the game documentation for assets, it seems fixated on using tiles only. I rearranged and resized my image (arranged the buildings vertically, then resized to 768px), then imported it into the game, but I got jumbled up tiles.

Thank you for always helping newbies like us, much appreciated!

Attachments

• untitled.png
    untitled.png
    740.1 KB · Views: 12

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
What you are talking about is parallax mapping, which is use a picture instead of tiles. However, you have to still make sure your picture is the right size in terms of how many pixels it scans as (remembering that 32 pixels = the width of one tile), and you will still have to use an invisible tileset to mark regions as passable or not in the editor, but it can be done.

I personally don't parallax map so cannot say more on the hows on it, but I think there might be a tutorial you can look up on here to see more on how to do it in the engine?

panpaper

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Thank you, I really just didn't know what that technique was called. I've now searched for parallax mapping and found many helpful results! Should I delete this question?

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Nah, as many don't know the name of this technique as we call it, so it is still useful for others to see. If you don't need to ask more though let me know and I can close it (or report the thread and someone will).

panpaper

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Could you close the thread? Thanks again!

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA

This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Just wanted to post and correct this:
(remembering that 32 pixels = the width of one tile)
The above is true for XP, VX and VXAce, but not for MV. One tile in RPG Maker MV is 48 pixels.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Been away for awhile, but here's some new free music. This one is kind of weird or experimental and not sure how I'd classify it. But, hopefully someone will find it useful!

I'm working with Excel today, and I just hate VBA so much. It's like the designers said "How can we make a programming language that works as obtusely and inefficiently as possible?"
Beep-Beep-Motha-facka.gif

Just finished and uploaded the delivery truck base/sprite sheet. I've been steadily replacing the default assets with early modern alternatives. The air-ship for a biplane, horse-drawn wagon for a delivery truck, and next a sailboat for a steam-powered passenger liner (think of the SS Olympic and RMS Titanic).
I caught a shiny magikarp on pokemonGO today AND finally saw Detective Pikachu and it was so cute and I'm still so hype AHHHHH!!!
one of the coolest things I've learned from the forums is the ability to give yourself a hitbox. I have a move you can do on the fields. shoulder tackle. thanks to the forums, that tackle triggers self A switches on some events. NPC's and the environment now react to the tackle. awesome.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EidolonDreams