Is it possible to create different parts of one game using parts from different projects?

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by Ravos9988, Jul 24, 2019.

1. Ravos9988

Ravos9988 Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    So as the title suggests, I am wondering if it would be possible to create a "main" game using parts collected from my other projects?

For example, in project_1, I have created all of my characters, profiles, traits, etc. In project_2 i have created classes, weapons and skills, etc.

would i be able to take JUST those aspects from each project, import or past them into my "main" game project once I start putting everything together? Basically, I have a bunch of partial projects that ive been making using tuts, playing around, etc., many things that I feel really good about, but recreating ALL of those little items, eventing, skills, classes/traits, etc would be extremely time consuming.

Thanks for feed back/help! :kaosigh:

2. ShadowDragon

ShadowDragon Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    you can transfer al data to 1 project to another project. (if its only data)
    if you used plugins, you need to put and load them as well and correct them like
    the other program and it should work.

(make a backup FIRST to be save though)

3. MushroomCake28

MushroomCake28 KAMO Studio Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    If you're only talking about data/maps then it should be really easy. You can either take the json files and copy/paste them, or you can open 2 instances of RPG Maker and open both projects, then you just copy paste the info from one to the other.

Ravos9988 likes this.
  4. Ravos9988

Ravos9988 Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Awesome thanks!

Thanks!!
    :kaojoy:

5. somenick

somenick Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Yes, with some patience, testing, and tweaking, it can be done. Copying-pasting the JSON files does the trick (if same PRG Maker of course). If you will be using all new maps, however, dont copy any JSON with 'map' in its name.

If you decide to create new weapons, but use existing characters, need to make sure they have the proper weapons. Etc.

6. watermark

watermark Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The only problem you might run into is the teleport events between maps, which relies on Map IDs that may overlap between projects. You may have to redo some of those when you combine projects. Other than that you should be fine.

Ravos9988 likes this.
  7. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    In essence this is a "How do I...?" question, rather than a discussion, so...

I've moved this thread to RPG Maker MV. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.