Is it possible to create non cast animation skills in SV mode?

Supa_Morris

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese (BR)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So I tried to create a skill called "double attack" (self explanatory). However, if I dont classify it as "Special" or "Magic", the skill simply doesn't appear in battle. If I classify it as Special or Magic, then sure, I see it in the battle, but the character using it does the "casting" animation before doing his simple double melee attack...
So my question is: is there something I can do to disable this cast animation for melee specials in SV mode?

Tigerawr

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It's not possible without plugins. I had the same problem at some point and I only resolved it by using Yanfly Action Sequences (which, in turns, requires Yanfly Battle Engine Core). See this post and / or this one.

Silva

Scoobityboo
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The skill type doesn't define what animation the battler uses when the action is input - this needs to be set to tell the engine what skill type the actor has to have available to use the skill.

The animation, I believe, is determined by the hit type. I suspect if you're getting a different "ready" animation from the normal attack you have the skills hit type set to magical or certain hit (I'm not sure what animation certain hit uses).

Supa_Morris

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese (BR)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It's not possible without plugins. I had the same problem at some point and I only resolved it by using Yanfly Action Sequences (which, in turns, requires Yanfly Battle Engine Core). See this post and / or this one.
Well, I tried to mess around with these codes you showed but they doesn't seem to change anything in the battle. I have to test them on the skill's note, right? Btw, I placed the Action Sequence plugin under the Battle Engine Core, so the problem can't be with the instalation.

Supa_Morris

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese (BR)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The skill type doesn't define what animation the battler uses when the action is input - this needs to be set to tell the engine what skill type the actor has to have available to use the skill.

The animation, I believe, is determined by the hit type. I suspect if you're getting a different "ready" animation from the normal attack you have the skills hit type set to magical or certain hit (I'm not sure what animation certain hit uses).
Unfortunately, no. I tried all 3 types and it always does the magical cast animation :/

Tigerawr

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Have you tried installing the Weapon Animation plugin, as suggested in one of the posts?

Supa_Morris

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese (BR)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Have you tried installing the Weapon Animation plugin, as suggested in one of the posts?
Yeah, I did. English is not my main language, so correct me if I'm wrong:

In the first post, LadyBaskerviller showed a code which replicates the normal attack, except the part in bold, which changes OP's state. Based on that, I copied and pasted the code without the bold part on my "Double Attack" skill note. It didn't worked somehow, I even tried to restart the engine, but nothing changed.

In the second post, OP wanted a skill that does the same thing that an Attack would do, so LadyBaskerviller gave him a code that would do that. I tried to use it, but nothing changed as well.

The only thing I managed to do was to remove the cast animation (not of my character's, but the skill's) by using <Cast Animation: 0>.

Supa_Morris

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese (BR)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Without <Cast Animation: 0>:

2.PNG

With <Cast Animation: 0>:

Attachments

Supa_Morris

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese (BR)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Alright, I just managed to resolve the problem, but I had to do a little improvisation lol. Going to show what I did just in case someone face the same problem in the future:
All I did was edit the the sv_actor file using GIMP and overwrote his "pray" animation by his standby animation, just like this:

The only problem of this method is that I won't be able to create hybrid classes (uses melee and magic attacks) for example. I don't reaaally need hybrids yet, so I think I'm good for now.

Edit: Actually, I'm starting to think that the ideia of removing any extra standby animations is really nice in my case, especially because I'm trying to make a "DragonFable" like game. You can say that this problem has given me some tasty ideias. :LZYsmile:

Attachments

Last edited:

Tigerawr

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The bold part is actually the part that changes the animation IIRC.

Supa_Morris

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese (BR)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
When I tried to use the bold commands, they inflicted me status before attacking.

Silva

Scoobityboo
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I may have fed you some wrong information yesterday. If you look under system there's a section for [SV] Magic Skills at the top right. Any skills in here will use the magic charging animation when queued. If they're not in here they will use the physical animation. Hope this solves your issue. :)

RyanBram

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi, @Supa_Morris . Welcome to the forum.
Let me give you some infromations:

This is how MV divided its battler motion:

In MV, the special skill motions can be categorized into 2 categories: Magic and Non-Magic.
For Magic type special skill it will use Magic motion and for Non-Magic type special skill, it will use General Skill motion. To determine a skill as magic or non-magic, you must set it in the Database - System:

Your double attack is categorized into Special skill, so it is a Non-Magic type, but...
Unfortunatelly, even though you don't put your Double Attack into [SV] Magic Skill type, the default motion of General Skill doesn't look like he/she is doing physical attack.

So there are 2 solution to override this:

1. Edit your SV Battler using picture editor by moving Thrust or Swing motions to replace General Skill motion:

2. Use Yanfly action sequence to overide default MV battle animation

And put this code into Double Attack skill notetag:

Code:
<setup action>
IMMORTAL: targets, true
WAIT: 15
DISPLAY ACTION
if user.attackMotion() !== 'missile'
  MOVE user: target, FRONT BASE, 40
  MOTION STANDBY: user
  WAIT FOR MOVEMENT
end
</setup action>

<whole action>
</whole action>

<target action>
MOTION SLASH: user
MOTION WAIT: user
ATTACK ANIMATION: target
if user.attackMotion() == 'missile'
  WAIT: 30
end
ACTION EFFECT: target
WAIT FOR ANIMATION
MOTION THRUST: user
MOTION WAIT: user
ATTACK ANIMATION: target
if user.attackMotion() == 'missile'
end
ACTION EFFECT: target
WAIT FOR ANIMATION
</target action>

<follow action>
IMMORTAL: targets, false
MOTION WALK: user
</follow action>

<finish action>
CLEAR BATTLE LOG
if user.attackMotion() !== 'missile'
  JUMP user: 60, 40
  MOVE user: RETURN, 40
  MOTION ESCAPE: user
  WAIT FOR MOVEMENT
  WAIT FOR EFFECT
  MOTION WALK: user
end
</finish action>
Hope this help.

Supa_Morris

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese (BR)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I may have fed you some wrong information yesterday. If you look under system there's a section for [SV] Magic Skills at the top right. Any skills in here will use the magic charging animation when queued. If they're not in here they will use the physical animation. Hope this solves your issue. :)
But how do you make these skills appear in the battle? Like, when I create a skill, classify it as none, and give it to an actor, I can't find it, because all I see is "Attack", "Guard", "Magical"(nothing inside), "Special"(nothing inside).

Supa_Morris

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese (BR)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@RyanBram hi, thanks for the welcome!
I'm using that first solution for now, because I'm really new to RPG Maker. I'm also trying to learn these action "phases" (I think there's is 5 according to the puglin tutorial) and it's codes as fast as possible, so thanks for showing the code, it will help me to understand things faster.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

People1.png & SF_People1.png added!!!!

Adventurer:
"Why your body looks like a bird?"

Stranger:
"Because I'm harpy"

Adventurer:
"Clap along if you feel like a room without a roof"

*Both dancing to Pharrell Williams song*
Stream will be live shortly with a make-up session of the Interactive Text Adventure! Feel free to drop by!
Pootscooter wrote on Pharonix's profile.
Hey @Pharonix, just wondering what you're up to lately and if you've had an opportunity to check out the LTBS thread in the past few days...(a couple of us could really use your expertise). Hope you are well and Happy Thanksgiving!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zoetsoi