EthanFox

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi all, question for the JS experts here. I'm not after help to do this as-of-yet, but it involves saving data and I just want to know, is this sort of functionality actually possible via an RPG Maker MV plugin?

Save/Load Behaviour Plugin

NALE is a chapter-based game; it has 3 chapters (1, 2 and 3), and we want the user to have to play 1 to unlock 2, 2 to unlock 3, and once 3 is complete, for some special features to be unlocked.

The actual chapter selection will take place in a special in-game map, not a menu; that’s not important for this plugin; this is just to provide some context.

For this to work, we require NALE to save data outside of the typical RPG Maker MV savegame structure. This is because if a user hits “New Game” (which will be renamed "New Chapter"), we want the game to know if they’ve unlocked Chapter 2, 3 or the special features, rather than always having to hit “Continue”. After completing each chapter, players will be returned to the title screen, ready to start another "new chapter".

Additionally, while in-game, we need to be able to poll this save system, to ask things like “has the user unlocked chapter 2 yet?” - so that we can have a message saying “Congrats, you have now unlocked chapter 3!” or similar when relevant.

This will also be used for Steam Achievements; a bool will exist for each achievement (each time the game loads a new chapter, it will poll to “fulfill” all achievements the user has completed; this is useful in case an achievement has been fulfilled, but did not unlock at the time due to the user having a poor connection at that moment).

So, to break that down in terms of features:

• A Javascript plugin
  • Must save data to a distinct file/structure outside/independent of the typical RPG Maker MV saves
  • Contains a list of configurable named BOOL flags
  • Ability to set, mid-game, a named flag, and save that value/all values
  • Ability to poll a named value, returning what value it is (for IF statement conditions)
  • Feature a function to wipe all existing data back to a blank slate (options-screen option for players, guarded by a Yes/No modal box)
It is not necessary for the savegame structure to be obfuscated, though if it’s easy to do, that’d be good. We don’t really care all that much if people “cheat” at NALE; it’s a single-player game.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
you're thinking too complex, it goes much simpler.

look for a plugin to give persistent switches and variables. there should be two or three like that for MV, and everything you want to do will be automatically included for eventing, with the exception of the last feature. But even deleting existing data is easy because only switches and variables are actually stored (maps reset automatically) and you can handle switches, variables, inventory and actors by events alone (for example set the change party member command to initialize to delete all actor changes)

EthanFox

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
and you can handle switches, variables, inventory and actors by events alone (for example set the change party member command to initialize to delete all actor changes)
Is there an easy way to reinitialise actors and inventory back to how they normally are when the game first loads? Just wondering if there's a javascript command I could run for each.

I know it can be done manually, but if there's a function which does this, I'd rather rely on that.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Ami
--- Stolen Item ---

M.Figher: I want to sell this Stone
Fence: Then...i can buy you 1500G
M.Figher: It's Deal!
(3 Days Later)
F.Fighter: M.Figher,Do you know about Stone that Mayor keep it in his Office? It's missing
M.Figher: Ahh,is that so... (Actually,i Stole it and Sell it to the Fence a few Days ago)
I've spent some cash on foley and other sound effects. I wonder sometimes if I made a poor choice, but I remember that I really want to improve the sound of my games. n...n; My frugalness haunts me sometimes.
elex 50s face.png

Experimenting with an old 50's style face set. I have done about a dozen variations of face sets for my characters, but am never happy with the results for very long. Different attempts. Second one is the same character as the first image. The third is Ivan, another character entirely.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SonicIcarus