Is it possible to get a window + yes/no choice to appear before starting a new game?

RoseRainblood

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi all,

After clicking "New Game", does anyone know if there is a simple way to get a window with a yes/no choice box to appear before the game starts?

Brief explanation: I'm trying something new out and I want to ask the player if they're sure they want to start a new game (if there is already a game that is saved). Something that basically warns them beforehand so they don't accidentally hit it and overwrite their current saved game.

I'm wondering if there is a plugin or easy way to do it. My search hasn't given me much luck so far!

alltheyuriz

The Question Asker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Just make a black screen and an event for it

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
autorun event on the first map
if you don't want the player to see that first map, make a new map as starting point where the autorun event does its way before transfering to the official starting map.

the Ace sample game crysalis does this as well, you can download it and use a trial of Ace to look at the event code (all event commands are identical since VXA

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Isn't the player going to have to choose to save and choose what slot to save in? If they overwrite an existing save file, they're doing it deliberately.

RoseRainblood

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I only gave a brief explanation before because it's kind of long winded to explain. As I said I'm trying out something new. This includes autoload and a one single save system, which means the default save/load selection window is not in my game. Because of that, it would be very easy for a player to hit new game and overwrite their current game by accident, which would be frustrating, so I'd like that warning to appear first. My apologies for not giving the full details. I should have probably been more clear.

Thanks all for all the suggestions! Ideally I'd like a method that involves not triggering the start of the game but I do appreciate the help! :)

Last edited:

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ideally I'd like a method that involves not triggering the start of the game
in that case you'll need a plugin for skipping the title screen and event our own start/title screen on the map that you'll skip to.

But there are other ways you might consider as well:
make an autorun to disable the save screen by default, allowing saving only through your own events. That way you can check if a save exists before the first save overwrites something.

use a plugin for persistent switches and variables - that makes the switches and variables identical through all saves. That way you can check how many games previously existed (simply counting a variable up) and block with an event on the first map, asking if they really want to overwrite their old game (if yes, increase counter correctly if not force gameover before start

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

>Testing with fonts change.
>Tries installing a plugin. Doesn't work.
>Tries changing the plugin commands. Doesn't work.
>Tries installing another plugin. Doesn't work.
>Changes a few more plugin commands. Doesn't work.
>Goes directly to the gamefont file and changes the src. Works.

YYEEEAAAAHHHAAAA

Perseverance is key, bois and girls.
What Reviews say on RPG Maker MZ?
Looking back at some sketches, and game design documents on my PC dated summer of 2015. I started development with the release of MZ, but in 2015, I felt a strong desire to make a game out of the blue. I remember feeling sad for no apparent reason, and all these ideas rushed into my head. Now that I think about it, since that day, everything has become easier to do on my PC . . . it’s very creepy.
Everything's going to be alright! We're all in this together. <3
Aaaaannd published my game's tech demo. :D

Feel free to download and play it. And give feedback!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Delv1s