Neptrone

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
N/A
Hello everyone i am wondering with current engine RPG MV or RPG MZ. Theoretically is it possible to make very big RPGM around 20GB+ File size ? Without the game crashing of course.

orochi2k

The Mad King of Neolithic
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Chinese
Primarily Uses
RMXP
I just check one of my super huge projects. That's 12GB made by RMXP. Mostly just a music player. Thus, size alone does not seem really matter, As long as you do not do something crazy like load all files into memory all at once.

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Yeah, theoretically you can just dump one complete episode of an anime into your game folder and call it 20GB+ alright. Unless you mean something different.

Thefirelion

Eventer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I think it refers to the final size of the project, but you have to know that the limit for all engines is 2 GB maximum...i think...

Neptrone

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
N/A
let's say i make very huge project with a lot of asset in it (sprite, BGM, etc...) It's possible to achieve 20 GB+ file size as long i don't load all files into memory all at once ?

orochi2k

The Mad King of Neolithic
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Chinese
Primarily Uses
RMXP
:kaojoy:Files that stay on the hard drive that are not loaded into memory can hardly crash the game. In theory, you can achieve the 20 GB+ file size by just copy-paste some kitten images in your game folder.

Zalzany

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I think it refers to the final size of the project, but you have to know that the limit for all engines is 2 GB maximum...i think...
Are you sure about that I seen some over 2gb, I think that might been like vx or older. Heck I got one that was 4.8gb not that long ago it had animations and what not that it would call up for cut scenes, and frankily they were not even that great just a huge pile of images and jifs burried in the game files...

estriole

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
indonesian
2GB limit is only for android.
For PC/Mac etc. there's no limit.
it also only if you publish the game to playstore... or else you can still have 20gb apk i think...
(correct me if i'm wrong though)

Neptrone

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
N/A
well........... obviously 20GB+ RPGM with only huge pile of images is not good.

the size must be allocated according to "Good Parameter".

there is user who want to make RPGM with a lot of graphics art which size is around 30GB -90GB. That size obviously too over for me.

kako05

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Australian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
well........... obviously 20GB+ RPGM with only huge pile of images is not good.

the size must be allocated according to "Good Parameter".

there is user who want to make RPGM with a lot of graphics art which size is around 30GB -90GB. That size obviously too over for me.
That user should learn how to make a game in a smart way.
Or learn image compression.

Raizen

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
you will need to manage the cache, which is why in big games there are loading screens and such. Besides that, I don't see why it wouldn't be possible. Do remember by default RPG maker keeps loaded all files in the moment you start using them, so that is one issue to fix if you really want to go that big.

Bandito

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
spanish
Primarily Uses
2GB limit is only for android.
For PC/Mac etc. there's no limit.
That is the limit, but you can just download the rest of the assets from a server before the game is started. I don't know if you can make it in the game but just make a front end that does that before you start your game.

Like use Cordova with a home.html that download the assets and after that's done then start the index.html of RPG Maker.

Htlaets

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I mean you caaannnn... but the question should be "should you". Players start complaining when an RPG maker is greater than 1 gb. 20...? Nah. Compress some stuff and take out resources you don't need.

kako05

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Australian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I mean you caaannnn... but the question should be "should you". Players start complaining when an RPG maker is greater than 1 gb. 20...? Nah. Compress some stuff and take out resources you don't need.
Exactly. You can convert 1.5mb png image to webp 250kb and no one will notice a difference. You can also compress audio files. That's what I do with my 6gb+ project with close to 10.000 images. The final product can be squeezed to 1gb without much quality loss.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

2dfloor.png
What a fun tileset I've got here so far!
Minecraft Tiles, Maid Day, Custom Menu, Retry at GameOver, Save in Appdata | RPG Maker News #36

side view special bust.png
Reworking the art for the 'special busts' in important game dialogue. Potentially replacing the more 'dead-on' look of the original:
original.png
Me: Imma work on my game! Let's get some progress done
Me, five minutes later smoking a cigarette: *screams into the void*
Just got back from work... I got to recommend a dish I liked to a group of senior ladies, and they said they'd order it for dessert! What was it? CHURROS! It's one of my favorite desserts at my workplace.
What's your favorite dessert? I'll eat any pastry with cinnamon and sugar, but especially churros. And then there's chocolate... omg, so good!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
liondruid