Is it possible to make a large sprite and get it to work in VX Ace?

Helen1701

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I intend the sprite in question to be a whale. I was thinking it should fit into a 3 x 3 tile grid (92 pixels squared). Is it true that as long as a sprite fits inside a grid, it will work regardless of it's size, or is there a maximum size that is allowed by the program? I haven't drawn it yet, but I need a whale for part of my story, and whales are not small creatures. I wanted to be sure of what is going to work and what isn't before I start drawing it. I intend for there to be a dungeon inside the whale (the player has to go in there to retrive something it swallowed accidentally and is making it feel unwell). Obviously the whale will be nowhere near to scale, but it should be significantly bigger than a normal sprite to represent that it is a large creature.

KenKrath

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I use VX Ace and have commissioned some oversized sprites and got them to fit with assistance from the Game Character Hub (I'm sure it's possible to do this without it).

I think my largest is ~ 235x165 and the 12 sprites (up,down,left,right) fit on a 708x628 sheet.

I also think I could go MUCH bigger.

Helen1701

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I might just give it a go and see if it works (if it doesn't, all I've lost is a bit of time).

KenKrath

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I might just give it a go and see if it works (if it doesn't, all I've lost is a bit of time).
I checked my largest sprite and edited my response with the size.

Helen1701

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
It sounds like the sprite I intend to make is substantially smaller than the one you have! I've bookmarked the program you recommended, I'll probably buy it when it is on sale because it looks really useful for sprites and tileset creation, for now I am using Krita and Pixilart. I might just give it a go and see if I can draw it on my own before I do anything else. I also have four frames per orientation (up, down, left, right) to animate some water spurting out of the blowhole.

I need two versions, a green tinted whale to represent when it's sick, and a blue/grey one for when it's healthy again.

It shouldn't be difficult, time consuming, but not difficult. That's my project for tomorrow sorted, make a functional whale.

KenKrath

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
When you're done send it over via PM and I'll see if I can get it to work via Hub for you if you're having difficulties. The trick is to make sure each "square" is proportioned.

Helen1701

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Oh, you means so the whale needs to be more of a rounded shape rather than a long shape? Or does it mean that each orientation of it needs to be the same number of pixels high and the same number of pixels wide? I could do it if I started with a circle, and made up the pixels with fins and tail.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
the following tutorial contains the info on how sprites and cell sizes work:

Helen1701

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Thanks, that is useful information. It doesn't look like my sprite is going to be a problem, it won't be colliding with other events or stuff like that because it isn't going to be leaving the water. I intend to put it in a bay on an Island.

So, if I am understanding this correctly... my sprite sheet depends on the size of the sprite. I want the sprite to fit into a 3x3 cell grid, which is 92x92 pixels. Sprite sheets are four across and four down. So, my total sprite sheet should be 96 pixels x 4 wide, and 96x 4 high.... so, the total sprite sheet should be 384 x 384 pixels. Is this right, or have I misunderstood?

Helen1701

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Oh, I'd seen the sprite sheets for normal sprites and they're 4 across, including in the character generator inbuilt into VX Ace. I know that because I have used the sprite generator to make a mad scientist sprite. This is why I assumed 4 across. And yes, I stand corrected, it is 96 pixels! I will have to watch that to make sure I don't make any mistakes. So, the as long as the number of pixels on the sprite sheet tally up with whole numbers of cells, I should be good. I will make a 4 across version first because I intend there to be some water spurting from the blowhole of the whale, and it will be much easier to animate this if there is four frames to work with and not three.

Thanks for all your advice and help btw... makes it easier to understand what I'm doing.

UPDATE: I've made my sprite, and it is working, it is 3 across! The animation looks decent and you can definitely tell what it is supposed to be. It's exactly what I wanted. I didn't do any fancy shading or stuff like that, but for a cartoony kind of whale it will suit my purposes. If anyone else wants to use this whale for their projects, I honestly don't mind, just mention me :)

UPDATE 2: I decided to put some whales in the ocean, to swim... and they don't swim! For the purposes of a whale in a fixed position in a bay, it's fine, I had what I needed. The tail is moving, the water is spurting... but I cannot get this sprite to swim. Oddly enough, I just tested it, and it moves freely on land, which looks a bit strange!

Attachments

• $Whale.png
    $Whale.png
    11 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Shiro-chan

Friendly Neighbourhood Neppy Maid
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Did you set your water to O or have your event's Through setting checked to ON?

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

By the power of timezones! This picture shall still be posted on december 1st!!!
7xI2Gc2.jpg

This is not something I'd ever even considered but wow! What a way to use music in a game.
I am a complete fool. I went through the trouble of making a clone sprite and setting up a system to have the characters flash, when it turns out - I never noticed that the "._mainSprite" was the actual bitmap being used. I'm happy since that makes compatibility easier, but I also want to scream.
Synchronizing bust and sprite expressions! Plus using a phone behaviour :kaopride:
BVadZby.gif

Long gif tho, let it load first :kaoswt2:
Wondering how to force a Save State in VNMaker with a name and how to call it with a scene event in order to double check if this Save State exists or not. Phew... Leaving breadcrumbs for chapter DLCs to pickup would be more than half the fight in order to finish this visual novel :LZSsad:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ridge_tim