Is it possible to migrate a game that's made in RPG maker 2000 to the newer ones?

kaldeqca

Big fan of old JRPGs, Ardent Kiseki Fanatic
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
As the titles says, I know it's weird question.

TheGameAfter

I'm here to help and to learn!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Hebrew
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yes and no. Is no tool the can convert the all project in few clicks. the main reason are because rpg mv or MZ both use JavaScript and the 2k3 engines use a different languages.

Yes, if you take the time to learn the difference between them in how to write the same script you have in 2k3 engine with rpg mv/mz. If you learn that you could duplicate a complete 2k3 game to MV/MZ. Of course it will take some time to write it all again, but way faster then starting a new project.

To go to details:
Event Script:
if you have event with script the let you jump you will need to find the way is written in the new engine (commend once for 'mv' you can find in a script call list for MV)

Plugins:
I can it say about 'mv'. %99 you can find similar plugin for mv the do whatever you need, 'mz' also have many plugins out already but way less then mv.

Art:
Your have two options, use Shaz plugin the let you define different tile size then 48×48 pixel, whatever size match your older tiles you want to use.
And option two will be either 'resize' the 2k3 Tileset (with 'gimp' or other tools), or you can get new Tileset the look similar to the old one. I know there are some tools to convert 2k3 tile size to 32×32 and 48×48.

So again. Not with few clicks convertor, but Yes with learning the JS scripts and find similar plugins if needed.

Aerosys

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
german
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Not yet.

I just openend some files from an old Rm2K project. It's gibberish, but it's not impossible to write a Script to read, process and convert the files to JSON files that are readable by MV or MZ.

And then don't forget the obvious things: Some event calls from Rm2K don't exist anymore, graphics must be upscaled or just exchanged, bmg used to be midi but now are ogg files...

Sigony

Crusader Masochist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It is possible.
But you’d need to do a lot of manual work.

The real question is: what benefit do you get from doing that? Is a newer engine necessary for what you want to do?

kaldeqca

Big fan of old JRPGs, Ardent Kiseki Fanatic
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
Yes and no. Is no tool the can convert the all project in few clicks. the main reason are because rpg mv or MZ both use JavaScript and the 2k3 engines use a different languages.

Yes, if you take the time to learn the difference between them in how to write the same script you have in 2k3 engine with rpg mv/mz. If you learn that you could duplicate a complete 2k3 game to MV/MZ. Of course it will take some time to write it all again, but way faster then starting a new project.

To go to details:
Event Script:
if you have event with script the let you jump you will need to find the way is written in the new engine (commend once for 'mv' you can find in a script call list for MV)

Plugins:
I can it say about 'mv'. %99 you can find similar plugin for mv the do whatever you need, 'mz' also have many plugins out already but way less then mv.

Art:
Your have two options, use Shaz plugin the let you define different tile size then 48×48 pixel, whatever size match your older tiles you want to use.
And option two will be either 'resize' the 2k3 Tileset (with 'gimp' or other tools), or you can get new Tileset the look similar to the old one. I know there are some tools to convert 2k3 tile size to 32×32 and 48×48.

So again. Not with few clicks convertor, but Yes with learning the JS scripts and find similar plugins if needed.
Not yet.

I just openend some files from an old Rm2K project. It's gibberish, but it's not impossible to write a Script to read, process and convert the files to JSON files that are readable by MV or MZ.

And then don't forget the obvious things: Some event calls from Rm2K don't exist anymore, graphics must be upscaled or just exchanged, bmg used to be midi but now are ogg files...

It is possible.
But you’d need to do a lot of manual work.

The real question is: what benefit do you get from doing that? Is a newer engine necessary for what you want to do?
Thank you so much for all your replies, The thing is like this, I'm currently working on a translation project for a game called "Ruina" The game was released originally in Japan 2009 and it still has a fan-base that is incredibly compassionate about the game. The game is really well-made and has won multiple awards in the past, hence why I asked for creator's permissions to translate the game and acquired it. The reason that I want to migrate the game from 2K to a new platform is because of the difficulties in translating such as font issue, game bugs, assets problems etc. But after reading all of your post I don't think it'd be realistic to migrate the game to a newer platform. The game is 40 hours (If you don't do any side quests) long for ONE play-through there are 8 protagonists in the game (similar to octopath traveller) the story changes drastically based one player's chosen character, character gender, and player choice. Plus all of the assets and plugins are custom made. So It'd be a gargantuan process to re-write all that. Still, Thanks for all the helps, I really appreciate your replies.

Tolin42

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@kaldeqca Tried to just toss it here, but it's apparently too large for the forum. Ran across some of the tools for this, ran Ruina through them, and converted graphics over to png to use in an updated engine... also included in the project's base directory are two things... the .js tool used to open to game files and review the map and event data, and a full map/event dump (transcript.htm) that the tool generated which is a map-by-map breakdown of all of that data, the common events, variables and switches used in the game... it's a LOT of stuff.

Edit: Oops... missed one, so did a convert on that. The frog png is meant to go in the Battle directory.
Do note, this won't include anything the original zip didn't... so nothing from the Japanese RTP graphical or auditory. This is literally just events and the text and commands associated with each event.

Last edited:

Tolin42

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Oh-hoh... I only had the patch to the game downloaded... oops. Well, the principle is the same...

I realized there were almost no graphics in the folders to make the game... and figured I was missing something.

@kaldeqca Edit: Updated my shared Drive folder. Converted the rest into the png format after finding the full version, included an upscaled and redrawn version of the front menu logo... once it all finishes uploading. Do what you will with this, or nothing at all... good luck with this if you attempt to proceed at some point, as it's so much data entry and conversion. Pretty daunting, all things considered. From time of posting it'll probably take another 10-15 minutes to finish uploading.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving, and I'm so excited! I've been exploring MZ a little, and I just downloaded Effekseer to make new animations. I have experience in 3D animation software, so I'll be pretty good at the whole "particle" thing. My first game on MZ will be Fantasy Force--starring a griffin, a dragon, and a pegasus fighting against the Dragon of Darkness.
currently listening to Driftwood Gaming streaming some MZ dev time and it's delightful! had no idea they were this entertaining, love it
In quarantine, will be tested soon. This year is really something... special.
I was at another orientation yesterday and I realized I'll be working with an old friend! We met at the local water park a few years back and it was so nice to see her again! We had a chat, and next week when I officially start, I'll see if maybe we can trade our Zoom IDs so we can talk!
I made some sideview closets for MV!
You can find them in my MV resource thread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmc1980