Is it possible to mix different tilesets into one?

48Tentacles

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Let's say I have one tileset based on a green forest, and another tileset based on a factory. Let's suppose a player needs to enter in a factory to achieve their objective. Instead of creating two maps of different tilesets that involve the exit of the forest and the entrance of the factory, I could create a third map between them to create a more immersive transition instead of a blunt transition, to let the player know that they are walking toward a factory.

Example, the previously mentioned third map could contain grass but if the player keeps walking they'll do it on steel tiles, naturally alerting the player that they are approaching to a non-natural structure.

Would mixing two tilesets be possible? Including autotile sections of the image files?

Halcy0n

Smoke and Mirrors
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I would recommend just cutting/pasting and mixing/matching the tiles you want on an MV/MZ tileset template in a graphics-editing program.

Some people use GIMP, or Photoshop if they have it. Personally, I think paint.net works perfectly. That's what I use.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You can keep the tileset images (A1, A2, A3, etc) intact and create a new tileset, pulling in whatever images you want as long as they're correct for each slot.

But if you truly want to merge the tilesets - some from one A2 and some from the other A2, you will need to create a new A2 image and copy in the tiles you want to use from each. I use GIMP to do this. Paint.net works for most other things for me, but its default grid system is awful, and the plugins for grids don't have snapping, which is really handy and makes things a lot faster.

Either way, you will then need to set up all the flags in the tileset - passage, counter, etc.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

All new MZ Weather & Title updates are also RETRO'able for MV! Updated RETRO project will be released on same day I'll release updated MZ demo -project!

retro.png
Just lost about half a day's worth of work because rpg maker crashed during playtesting and corrupted my file :kaolivid:
Boku.gif
advanced_puzzling.PNG
Having a lot of fun making different poses for my character sets! Open to suggestions/critique!

CSKttqh.png

AABS laser beams features:
1,Shoot penetrating laser beams for player's normal attack
2,Beam's width/damage/comsumes/loot can be controlled by events/variables with great flexibility
3,Beam can rebound to walls or certain regionID
4,Can play SE when shooting beams
5,Beam's images can be solid images or animated ones.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mistikal