Is it possible to mix different tilesets into one?

48Tentacles

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Let's say I have one tileset based on a green forest, and another tileset based on a factory. Let's suppose a player needs to enter in a factory to achieve their objective. Instead of creating two maps of different tilesets that involve the exit of the forest and the entrance of the factory, I could create a third map between them to create a more immersive transition instead of a blunt transition, to let the player know that they are walking toward a factory.

Example, the previously mentioned third map could contain grass but if the player keeps walking they'll do it on steel tiles, naturally alerting the player that they are approaching to a non-natural structure.

Would mixing two tilesets be possible? Including autotile sections of the image files?

Halcy0n

Smoke and Mirrors
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I would recommend just cutting/pasting and mixing/matching the tiles you want on an MV/MZ tileset template in a graphics-editing program.

Some people use GIMP, or Photoshop if they have it. Personally, I think paint.net works perfectly. That's what I use.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You can keep the tileset images (A1, A2, A3, etc) intact and create a new tileset, pulling in whatever images you want as long as they're correct for each slot.

But if you truly want to merge the tilesets - some from one A2 and some from the other A2, you will need to create a new A2 image and copy in the tiles you want to use from each. I use GIMP to do this. Paint.net works for most other things for me, but its default grid system is awful, and the plugins for grids don't have snapping, which is really handy and makes things a lot faster.

Either way, you will then need to set up all the flags in the tileset - passage, counter, etc.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I'm so annoyed with myself...I can't get this code to work so it looks like I'm going the plugin route for a problem I should be able to do myself :kaolivid:Great. Now I get to murder save file compatibility. Again.
Can't believe my code from four years ago is still working! Did some expansions, and...
1635194553179.png
In related news, I may have an update for my old Extra status window plugin ready. That is, once I manage to sit down and update the documentation... and the demo project... :kaoswt:
How does one pronounce Godot? I've heard it pronounced a couple of different ways, and I genuinely don't know the proper way.
March 2020 ...
1635188823939.jpeg
... vs October 2021
You look like you had a rough day...Here, have a Baby Panda!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VoodooFox22