Is it possible to only buy an item once from a shop?

Iamaperson

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Let me explain. In my game, you are able to synthesize items. To do so, you need to buy recipe books. But it seems a bit silly to be able to buy the same exact recipe book twice when you don't need to. So is it possible to make it so you can buy a certain recipe book only once, before the shopkeeper has sold out of that item?

I hope that makes sense.

EDIT: I think I already have a solution to this problem now. Thank you everyone for the help!

Last edited:

Poryg

Dark Lord of the Castle of Javascreeps
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Czech
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Not without a plugin as far as I know.

Iamaperson

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I had a look around online, and there doesn't seem to be any plugins that have this feature...

...I think I'll figure it out myself with conditional branches instead. Thanks anyway for the help!

Iamaperson

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think I'll figure out a way of doing it with conditional branches then, since there doesn't seem to be a plugin that does that. Thanks anyway.

caethyril

^_^
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
EN
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Limited stock is pretty difficult to implement, but for unique non-consumable items, Yanfly's Core Engine offers a workaround in the form of a <Max Item: 1> notetag.

I think I'd personally still go with choices in an event, though. There are various plugins available (e.g. Hidden Choice Conditions by Himeworks or Extended Message Pack 1 by Yanfly) that let you hide/show choices based on conditions, rather than having to check after selection or set up separate choice lists for each situation. :)

Onism

Probably napping.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The best way I can imagine implementing it simply, without plugins, is not having them in a shop.

Perhaps a bookshop or library etc instead, have a bunch of books on the counters (that are events) when a player interacts with one, you can show text to give info about the book, show a choice if they wish to buy it, and sell it that way. Of course you can also just talk to the bookshop owner and they could give you the buy option, each book event only showing information on what it contains etc, depends on how you want to do it.

Calluses

Bee
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
http://yanfly.moe/2015/10/16/yep-11-item-core/

This allows you to set a maximum to the amount you can have of a single item through "Independent Items".

Otherwise, you could always put a book near the vendor and make it so when the player interacts with it, they get given a price and a choice and some conditional branches so that they can buy it like it's an event. Though, you'd probably have to highlight the object with some sparkles or something over the top. It might be good for a unique item, hope this helps!

Iamaperson

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
http://yanfly.moe/2015/10/16/yep-11-item-core/

This allows you to set a maximum to the amount you can have of a single item through "Independent Items".

Otherwise, you could always put a book near the vendor and make it so when the player interacts with it, they get given a price and a choice and some conditional branches so that they can buy it like it's an event. Though, you'd probably have to highlight the object with some sparkles or something over the top. It might be good for a unique item, hope this helps!
That's actually a really good idea! Maybe the person who was originally selling the books can point you in the direction of a book shelf, and then you can interact with a book (maybe use a sparkle or something to show it off) then the shopkeeper will ask you to pay some G for it. Thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

It's my cute little ghost~
Minecraft Dungeons is a great example of a game that's much simpler than other games in its genre but almost as equally immersive and fun to play. Lotta RPGmaker devs could learn from that lesson.
Well, it's been a while since the last time I came here... Is there a JS scripting FAQ? I'd like to know what it's capable of achieving, and how :rswt
I love the Time Fantasy tiles, but haven't played anything made with it yet. Can anyone recommend me something?
Vote for what I show more indepth on Twitter tomorrow from the MZ default resources

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jimmydark