Is MZ worth it when I already have vx ace and MV + is it a good idea to start with MZ?

Raypixel

Don’t got any clever titles yet
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
So… last year MZ released and and was wondering if that was even worth buying at some point (probably during a sale) when I already have two softwares?
Another thing is that I remembered having a conversation with someone who said they wanted to get into rpg maker and they said that they wanted MZ because it’s the latest version even tho I kinda recommended MV or VX ace
Also the reviews on steam seem kinda iffy on it so what do people here think?

Lord Vectra

Master Eventer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
So… last year MZ released and and was wondering if that was even worth buying at some point (probably during a sale) when I already have two softwares?
Another thing is that I remembered having a conversation with someone who said they wanted to get into rpg maker and they said that they wanted MZ because it’s the latest version even tho I kinda recommended MV or VX ace
Also the reviews on steam seem kinda iffy on it so what do people here think?
MZ's new way of animations might set a bar a bit too high for someone new. There is a workaround though.

The reason for the MZ's mixed reviews is that MZ is considered to be barely an upgrade to MV. I think MV is more user-friendly based on the animations alone. So, if he wants to try an RPG Maker, I would personally recommend MV since it's a noticeable upgrade from VXA. I have all the makers except VX (bc VXA is just objectively better) and MZ itself. I tried it out, and I agree with the reviews.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I have been using Ace since it came out. Although I bought MV, I decided to stick with Ace for assorted reasons. However, when I have finished my present project I am moving to MZ.
For me the greatest attraction is the fact that it has mapping layers. My style of mapping (which involves a lot of the player being able to walk behind roofs, cliffs etc.) is a nightmare in Ace, but with layers will be relatively straightforward. If your maps are simple that won't be a huge attraction for you.

On other aspects I think MV and MZ have an equal number of pros and cons - except I dislike the MZ chibis even more than the MV ones, so I'll have to find alternative sprites. But that's personal preference.

EpicFILE

Epic Member
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You can try out MZ as there's a free version during game jam.
Initially I thought MZ isn't that much of a difference compared to MV.
When I try it myself, somehow it feels smoother than MV.
*I don't quite understand about performance stuff.
As an unknowledgeable guy I just find it smoother. xD

Also, MZ has an event list when you switch to event layer.
It's a very small change, but pretty helpful.
Especially when your game is puzzle heavy (requires a lot of events).

That being said, I might not buy it straight away after the game jam ends.

Just try it out yourself. :D

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Also the reviews on steam seem kinda iffy
Most of the people who put negative reviews on Steam basically said because MZ is not much different than MV. That does not mean MZ is worse than MV.

My personal fave is Ace, but it is getting outdated (lower resolution, lower of the active members). Starting from MZ is not a bad idea. Because Ace and MV will not get a future update anymore.

I definitely recommend MZ to new people.

Aerosys

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
german
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
MZ has a much better dialog to call Plugin Commands. So instead of memorizing or looking up the commands, you can select them from a list, including parameters, that is much more convenient.

Raypixel

Don’t got any clever titles yet
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Huh I actually never expected this thread to have a lot of replies and answers like this but good to hear from the community here actually

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've decided to upgrade to MZ from MV since I'm planning a large game and I've read that MV has problems with stability, hardware usage limits, and lag when it comes to large games, while MZ's optimization has been solving the issues experienced by users in MV.

Having more options for monsters through the RTP is also nice.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Firefox pointed me to a little inspiration: https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/writers-maps

So, I shared. :D
To be released 2021/10/21
Now that I made this "What the MZ RTP is missing" spreadsheet it's itching me to fill some the gaps D:
Aaaaand I completely forgot about the RMMV Chicken Rave my brother decided to implement in a parody of my VERY FIRST UNFINISHED project. We could not escape the chicken rave... The chickens would block the ladder...
I love how I can look up a problem I'm having with my game, find a post from like six years ago that addresses the issue, and the solution provided still works in RPG Maker.
It's times like those that my life feels really easy XD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
majinludde