Is phone-based gaming really all that bad?

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Benny Jackdaw, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Benny Jackdaw

Benny Jackdaw Ratty! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    I tend to see a lot of flack towards gaming on your phone. Personally, a lot of my gaming now what day is is on my phone. And, for some reason, I decided that I wanted to State my opinion on phone based gaming.

I see quite a lot of commercials for games like Candy Crush Saga or Best Fiends, and I find myself Charmed by the characters that appear in those games. The games look colorful, they have a lot of Whimsy, they have unique characters that you don't see in big console gaming. But do they look or are they fun?... Not really.

These are what I like to call psuedo puzzle games. These are games that take absolutely no strategy or mind power, and you win purely based on luck and whether the game lets you win. I feel like these are the type of games people think of when they think of gaming on your phone.

Even though that isn't all there is, you could even argue that some actual games that appear on the system are games a lot of people will have fun with for about a week and then move on and download a different game. To an extent, you'd be right. I go through like 20 games a month on my phone. Yet, there are some games that I actually do like.

Primal Legends, for example, is a one-on-one connect 3 game. Hear me out on this though. What I did like about this game was the ability to use hero characters. He's here all characters, for example do all sorts of things that actually add real strategy to the game, and I I actually found it quite fun coming up with all these different hero decks to use.

"Now wait just a minute, Benny Jackdaw! Isn't that game about furries? Aren't you incredibly biased towards those kind of games in favor of them?" As a matter of fact, it does help my opinion of a game, but in my opinion a crappy game is a crappy game whether it's Stars furries or humans. That being said, I still found it a much better game overall then the owner companies other connect three game Celsius Heroes.

"I'm still calling bias! That game includes all the story tropes you hate!" Well, you are correct, but it also has generic connect 3 gameplay that isn't saved by some type of system like in Primal Legends that actually gives it strategy. That is the main reason I like the formal game, not just because it has anthro characters, but because it actually has strategy and gameplay to it.

In fact, one of the big reasons I play on my phone a lot is because I see all those colorful protagonists that character is that big console and computer games rarely have. It's the only place where I still find games that aren't about how great the human race is.

"Not another one of those type of rants, Benny! Not everyone is like you!" Yeah, yeah, I know. This is an opinion based rant. And, to reiterate, weather again Stars these cute, Whimsical characters or not, games on my phone unless they are really good get boring fast. But every once in awhile I will find a game that sticks with me, in that is honestly what matters to me.

"What about microtransactions?" What about them? I found that I only spend money on these type of games if I like them. And that is very seldomly. A lot of those games I generally don't fall for the microtransactions. Some even make it easy on me by charging ridiculous prices.

I also noticed that there's all sorts of games on the phone. There is Platformers, there's MMORPGs, there is shooters, there's all sorts of games if you take time to look. Even if they aren't the highest quality of gaming in, there's usually something for everyone.

Sure, there are a lot of truly crappy games. There are games that rely solely on eye candy and those Whimsical characters to get by. Heck, you could even go as far as to say that's the vast majority of phone based gaming.

... And yet, I find that I get that feeling that a game looks like fun more often when I look at my phone then when I look at big budget gaming. It takes me away from all my frustration in the real world, whereas a lot of games like Dark Souls and God of War, although technically Superior games in general, put me back into the with situations that I try to play games to get away from.

So again, it's more of a Sentimental thing than anything else. But I do have to ask, what is your overall opinion on phone based gaming? Do you have a game on your phone that you actually like? Or do you hate everything about the phone based gaming?

2. TheoAllen

TheoAllen Self-proclaimed jack of all trades Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    While I might not go through as you did, I did try some mobile games. Some survived few weeks, some less than a week, some not even a day, some more than a month, and the longest one I tried was a rhythm game. Survived for more than a year.

For me, mobile games should be a casual game. I mean, I have that game on my phone because I want to kill my time while waiting for something to avoid boredom. When that casual game turned into something that requires theorycrafting in order to maximize everything, I ditched that game. Or when the game is become demanding like "you have to do this daily, etc" or even worse, "You need to get this SSR to win this stage" while getting SSR is you need to roll for a tiny percent chance. I have a game in my phone for that reason, killing time. But it doesn't mean, overkill ...

Rhythm game was perfect for me because it really maximizes the meaning of touchscreen, and I can "dance" while listening to the music, like, I even selfishly think maybe all mobile games should be rhythm game. A more complex game mechanic like shooter, actions, and many things, deserve a better platform that it isn't on a mobile. PC for example, or console. Why they did try hard to make a virtual button? it never comfortable to play with, except if the virtual button isn't demanding (Like, Azur Lane has virtual buttons, but it isn't really important to get precise movement). Another genre that I think could survive in mobile platform is an idle game, although it could also be addicting.

Another game that wasn't a rhythm game but a good game for me was plague inc. It's a sort of idle game but with strategy. It's really good for killing time. I rarely play the game this day though.

3. Milennin

Milennin "With a bang and a boom!" Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I play a few games on tablet, and it's pretty fun. I like to see how minimalist they have to go to make playing it on touch screen comfortable and for short sessions, yet there are some games that have a decent amount of depth and complexity. People are so focused on labelling everything on mobile a cow-clicker or gamble simulator (even if there's some truth in that), that they're blind to any positives.
    It won't ever replace PC gaming for me, but it's nice to have the extra variety to my hobby and to have something to play when I'm not at home.

4. RetroExcellent

RetroExcellent Pixelated Avatar of Chaos Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I used to be really addicted to mobile games. Without realizing it, I was constantly thinking of the game and spending all my free time making sure I hit the daily missions. I even went so far as to spend money on games I didn't even care about.

I honestly got sick of playing on a schedule that wasn't my choosing, it felt like a chore. I have actually removed all stamina or time based mobile games from my phone. I keep a few kairosoft games, and a few actual games like Final Fantasy Tactics and Star Wars KOTOR. I enjoy having a few games at my finger tips, but I want to play games on my schedule, not the games.

Seacliff and ultimagicka like this.