Is possible copy/paste and share my commercial game?

Thadius96

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Hi. I'm going to put my game on steam soon, but a question just jumped on me. I have deployed my game and asked myself: ok, a person buys the game, receives all the files and folders of my game (encrypted resources) and decides to copy the game folder and upload it to the internet or pass it on to a friend. As simple as copying and pasting the files.
I have no idea how the files will look when I post them to steam (it's my first time) but right now anyone who gives the game can copy and give it to someone else who hasn't bought it.

I don't care about piracy, what I don't care is that even a 5-year-old child could pass illegal copies of my game, just copying and pasting files.

I do not know very well where to put this topic, I apologize if I have made a mistake and also if my question is bullshit. I am very excited about the release of my game and this now has me baffled! Thank you!

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If you were distributing a standalone program, and had no DRM, someone could just share your installer with their friends and they would be able to install and run your game (and share it with others as well). But if you have DRM, anyone they gave it to would need to use the same key to activate it on their computer, and in the case of Steam, this means they'd need to be logged into the same account on multiple computers, which Steam doesn't allow.

To pirate it, they would need to remove your DRM or upload to steam under their own account (which includes paying any advance fees). It still happens, but I wouldn't lose sleep over it unless you SEE it happen.

Thadius96

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Hello Shaz, thank you very much for answering me and helping me. You always help people and it is appreciated. I have one more question. Is the DRM you mention applied automatically if I sell my game on Steam? Or I have to do something before I post it to Steam? Thanks again Shaz!

Edit: I read this https://partner.steamgames.com/doc/features/drm but i dont understand where i have to add this.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I'm hoping to get a call October 1. They should be fully open by then.

With this, all demo dungeon graphics are done.
Eventually I need to make animations...send help.
OcRam demo project is now available at https://ocram-codes.net !!!
mzBaseBody.png added!

Ami
--- Mushroom ---

F.Knight: We runs out the food!
Hero: Anything could eat in this place?
F.Archer: It's a bunch of Mushroom over there. I wonder it's safe to eat.
F.Knight: No worries,we have to fill our inside no matter what it is.
(Hero & F.Knight Eat The Mushroom,After 10 Seconds They Collapse With Foam)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
REEEEEOOOOOOOOO