Dororo

Gespenst MKII pilot
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Sorry if this topic doesn't belong to this specific section of the forum, please Admins move it where it should!

It's a question for expert users
(and probably Jscript coders lurking around)

I'm evaluating a number of softwares to check if they can fit my needs before investing time and energy.

The game I want to design (and so, the chosen engine) should own such features:
  • A way to manage a time schedule (like events that change based on the weekday and/or previous events status)
  • A way to manage and show stats, adding screens and menus - not just given combat stats (there isn't any combat!). So, for example, adding an overlay panel that tell the location - adding new stats to an actor - report of changes and conditions (the more abstract the better).
  • A way to add special reports and animations (for example, collecting something can show the icon move around)
  • Cutscenes with images, and control of such images animations (so, for example, moving camera from a picture to another over a BG scene and have panels/data management in the meanwhile).
  • Recursive flux (so, for example, subdivide the game into action or report phases that repeat each day).
  • A way to interact with dialogue lines (dialogue tree and multiple answers)
  • Writing functions to compute math operations, manage arrays and similar coding stuff
  • Graphically speaking, I've seen that MV work on 48*48 tiles, my idea is to enlarge the tile scale (less "cells" at once on the screen, more graphical details - think of a 'zoomed in' version).
If that could help you understand my concept, think of "Persona 4" in a 2d environment.

Does RPGMakerMV fits those requirements? I'm not repulsed by coding if that's required, I'm just figuring out if the engine is flexible enough for such indepths, or it's totally based on an hardcoded standard (so, for example, no panels/menus hooks or conditional and abstract routine).

I didn't find anything like a PDF/HTML version of the engine manual, and that could be a great help too to understand the engine limits. If there's any source, a link will be greatly appreciated - tutorials help to understand how to solve a given task, I want to know the boundary of the engine before investing on it.

Thank you!!

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
bigger tileset is possible, maybe not directly, but very doable if parallax.
Parallax require a plugin that can put on top, there are serveral for them.

another option for bigger tiles is to use TileD + the plugin available to use for anysize
tiles (16x16, 32x32, 48x48, 64x64, 128x128 etc)

while most of the things you ask is doable, some require coding, some plugins already
existed to add.

there are limits, like 999 maps (can be more with a plugin, but its complex and
there is one that can do that), I cant recall the amount of switches, or variables.

Max Mapsize = 256x256 (can be 1000x1000) but change the map property
will go back to 256x256 if you change the BGM or Parallax map.

but there is alot of doable stuff in MV, but the main question is more,
is it powerfull enough for what you want?
the graphic you want to use?

you can try to find games that are made in MV and see if it fit your needs or need
a more powerful engine to handle things better/smoother.

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
To give you a clear example, from an expert perspective because you asked for that.

RMMV code is open, so you can theoretically code all of that from scratch.
The editor just helps you to create a database, a JSON file.
All events and map is nothing but JSON file. The system executes them all in a certain way and a certain order that makes all the data files created from the editor function like an RPG. If you change all these codes, you could even make a shooting game or tactical game. But that would be the same as using other engines and create the code from scratch.

Now to answer your question
A way to manage a time schedule (like events that change based on the weekday and/or previous events status)
There is no time schedule by default, all are based on variables and switches so you gotta think how to create a logic based on that, or simply change the system code so that it bends to your will (I.e, create a plugin).
A way to manage and show stats, adding screens and menus - not just given combat stats (there isn't any combat!). So, for example, adding an overlay panel that tell the location - adding new stats to an actor - report of changes and conditions (the more abstract the better).
If you're able to code, yes, you can. Not by the editor by default, you need to change the code. You can customize everything, and the only limitation is your own skill, which many of us doesn't have. And just use whatever plugin provided by the community.
A way to add special reports and animations (for example, collecting something can show the icon move around)
I'm not sure of what you mean, but it's possible.
Cutscenes with images, and control of such images animations (so, for example, moving camera from a picture to another over a BG scene and have panels/data management in the meanwhile).
A cutscene is possible, I'm just not sure what did you mean by panel/data management.
A way to interact with dialogue lines (dialogue tree and multiple answers)
A basic if-else would do, it just gets complicated when you have multiple branches. And that is true to most of the engines.
Writing functions to compute math operations, manage arrays and similar coding stuff
Basically creating a plugin...
Graphically speaking, I've seen that MV work on 48*48 tiles, my idea is to enlarge the tile scale (less "cells" at once on the screen, more graphical details - think of a 'zoomed in' version).
There's a certain plugin to make u use another size of the tileset, a workaround to be exact because you can not mod the editor.

Does RPGMakerMV fits those requirements?
If you expect an easy way to do that, probably not. The engine is not advertised to create such a game. However, that is not impossible.

I didn't find anything like a PDF/HTML version of the engine manual, and that could be a great help too to understand the engine limits. If there's any source, a link will be greatly appreciated - tutorials help to understand how to solve a given task, I want to know the boundary of the engine before investing on it.
If that's the case, why not try the trial version? I believe MV has one.

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

Riazey

Master of None
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Menus/animations/etc
Are customizeable/addable via scripting! You can also replace/change in-game menus or basically anything with plugins as well.​

---------------------------------------------------------------​

TIME
Time inside rpg maker is measured by fps, so every 60fps is one second natively and if you were running it at 30fps time would be calculated half as fast. But you can make workarounds / there are plugins to workaround this~ Days/months/years are easily kept with variables/switches.​

FLUX / DAILY ROTATION
You create a "sleep" event or a common event that plays at midnight to "roll the day over", add up sold items or roll new events for that day etc and then the player can wake up/continue on to the next day.​

DIALOGUE
Is absolutely available to make tree's / conditionals for through just eventing. For example "if friendship level is above 1200" then have dialogue to play for that. You can also randomize between a bunch of dialogue by making use of a random variable or even have that classic "speak to two times a day" feature. I recommend looking up yanfly's self-switches for these types of things.​

SCHEDULES
Depending on how you want to there are several ways to approach it depending on how smooth you want it to be, for example basic eventing can put "x character at x spot at x time" when you enter a map. So you can make conditional branches to place inkeeper npc at tile 7,8 if it is between 6pm-7pm, and start them moving toward 9,8 spot, and then once they reach the inn they disappear. You can achieve something more advance via plugins or advanced eventing, though I would recommend again yanfly's self variables/switches.​

---------------------------------------------------------------

GRAPHICS
I do know scaling up from lower sizes 16x16 tiles works pretty fine (there's even a script for that made by shaz!) you can even just make it in say 16x16 or 24x24 then enlarge them and they will then be 48px. But scaling up (to 96x96 for example) does not work well nor easily that I've seen or heard, so depending on which one you need.​

If you are parallaxing then there is a lot of customization you can do, it can be as large or as small or any shape that you want since it's just an "image" layered below (and also above if you want!) your character. However events/collisions/walk space etc. will still be on the 48x48 "grid". There are plugins to allow for more customized "hitboxes" but if you have too many of them they can start to lag pcs. There are also plugins to walk more like stardew valley ie. "pixel movement" but events/collisions again are still on the 48x48 grid.​

Dororo

Gespenst MKII pilot
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It's hard to quote you all, but thanks to your efforts I own a more precise perspective on the engine.

:hswt: Thank you!
I'll definitely use it, as it sound fitting for what I want to create (at least major points are covered). Coding is not an issue, I own a strong Python/Cython background and functions seems open to public manipulation enough. Graphics is something I can manage later :).

I'll hope to contribute community the same ASAP!

Restart

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It's hard to quote you all, but thanks to your efforts I own a more precise perspective on the engine.

:hswt: Thank you!
I'll definitely use it, as it sound fitting for what I want to create (at least major points are covered). Coding is not an issue, I own a strong Python/Cython background and functions seems open to public manipulation enough. Graphics is something I can manage later :).

I'll hope to contribute community the same ASAP!
Now, if you're looking for modifying things, yanfly's the 800 pound gorilla in terms of plugins. Generally if I want to do something nonstandard that seems like a pain I check to see if yanfly's already implemented it, and that's usually the case. Plus, if you're trying to get help, yanfly's stuff is so ubiquitous there are a lot of other people who have used it before and can answer questions.

For a time system specifically, I haven't used moghunter's time system hud ( https://atelierrgss.wordpress.com/rmv-timesystem-hud/ ) but it's there if you want to see it. Mog has a ton of free flashy UI stuff, along with other things (including a full zelda-type on-map battle system), with the downside that sometimes mog plugins have compatibility issues outside his own little ecosystem, and all the documentation is in Portuguese.

Mog also has a few sample projects showing off how his plugins work together, and if you're using a TON of his plugins it's generally considered easier to build out from one of his sample projects with everything working together than trying to import and configure everything separately.

You mentioned doing arrays, and I will tell you upfront that arrays in javascript are a pain in the butt compared to many other languages. (Javascript finds the idea of simply writing '4*[1,2,3]' to get a matrix output of [4,8,12] horribly distasteful) Not insurmountable but not trivial.

Btw, the 'plugin' system is just adding your own js files to the end of the code, which lets you write arbitrary javascript, including overwriting (or appending to) previously defined functions. So if you want to, you don't have to do any scripting in-editor - you can always just have a dog with a single script command this.beADog and fine tune the beADog function outside rmmv.

Overall I'd say the biggest strength RPG Maker MV has as an engine is that you can see all the guts, change whatever you want, and there's a very big community full of people who have a lot of experience working with it.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

*sigh* This one turned out really well... except for the left arm pose...
fPRzKSp.jpg

Yes I purposely cutout the arm cause from the pic
A month into making my life/dating sim game and I've finally finished making all of the love interests :kaocry: I still have to make most of their emotion range and overworld sprites but aye I'm proud of myself.
would i get in trouble if i didn't take out the computer icons on my fake computer screen i had Discord, Messanger, and rpg maker up
Auto-Adjust Text Outline, Run Common Events on Transfer | RPG Maker News #111

I sweep the floor. My brother, "You didn't do a good job. There are dust bunnies everywhere." He sweeps the floor weeks later. "I just swept. Why are there dust bunnies everywhere?" Me," Guess you didn't do a good enough job."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fenrir_