Is the first enemy encounter area in your game a forest?

Is your first map a forest?

• Yes, the first map in my game is a forest.

Votes: 17 31.5%
  • No... but my second map is a forest!

Votes: 7 13.0%
  • No, neither my first nor second map is a forest

Votes: 30 55.6%

• Total voters

stramin

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
spanish
Primarily Uses
N/A
I just read a topic made on 2015 where a guy talk about this and I noticed that indeed, the first enemy encounter area in my game IS a forest, and also the first enemy encounter area in many RPG games I played.

This fact make me think I am not being enough creative in my game and I would like to know how many people in this forum is doing the same and get a real statistic about it.

--- edited ---

I changed all the following words: "map", "dungeon" and "monster area" for "enemy encounter area".

Last edited:

Soulrender

Jack Of All Trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Poland
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My first map starts in Academy where my main protagonist works, then in his House, third is forest.
(Maybe not exacly third, because each Main map is separated into smaller ones creating illusion walking on one map, divided by sections)

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
First map is kind of an island of sorts (albeit a really really small one), second is a village, third is inside a house in that village. After that, it depends on what the player decides to do. But eventually there's a forest in there, since the village is itself inside a forest.

stramin

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
spanish
Primarily Uses
N/A
My first map starts in Academy where my main protagonist works, then in his House, third is forest.
(Maybe not exacly third, because each Main map is separated into smaller ones creating illusion walking on one map, divided by sections)
Is then your first monster area a forest?

I think the academy and the house are not dungeons, right?

Soulrender

Jack Of All Trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Poland
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It's hard to say "monsters" because I took kinda different approach. My game sticks to fantasy style, where you can meet all kind DnD creatures, but they very rare, most of time you encounter regular animals, wich some of them are aggresive, neutral or coward toward player.

But generaly, yes, forest is a 1st type of map, where battles begin.

Edit: academy and house are regular indoor arrangements.

wilpuri

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
In my game project the first enemy encounter could be in forest, but it’s a side-thing. Following the story the player won’t get into a forest in while. Not sure actually yet if you can skip the woods completely.

But it is true that it’s easy to just do the things others do. My main ”dungeons” are mines. The game is set in a 1950’s small town, but the dungeon crawling aspect is very close to a standard fantasy game.

matheus872

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Português
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The project i'm working now does'nt have monsters, the place of the confrontations depends to the choose history line...

But a farm, a kitchen and a laboratory are the maps.

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My RM2K game doesn't even have RPG type of encounters, and the majority of the game plays out inside a town.
My RM2K3 game starts on an airship, which serves as the tutorial area with some monsters appearing on it, but then crash lands in a forest, the game's first real dungeon.
For RTP, the first area with monsters is a town. There's not even a real forest map in the game.
For my other MV project, the first area with monsters is a forest dungeon.
My MZ project will be sort of a remake/reboot of my RM2K3 game, starting on the airship again, and then leading into a forest as its first dungeon.

Nothing wrong with forests as beginner areas. It never bothers me in any games I play.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Nope on any of my projects so far. My released game the first dungeon is a cave, with encounters there. My current game in progress the first encounter is on a beach.

TheGentlemanLoser

True friends stab you in the front
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
it's a sewer which is I'm pretty sure the modern/scifi equivalent of a forest, but not TECHNICALLY a literal forest

Tiamat-86

old jrpg gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
my 1st monster area is usually either plains or cave.
dungeon dividing 1st and 2nd town usually either mountain or forest though.

@TheGentlemanLoser i would classify sewers as a cave.. modern forest would be a park for large city or just going into the woods for a smaller town.

GmOcean

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I'm in the early stages of my project, but currently no. In the future that may change with a high probability due to story direction.

The first few encounters the player would come across currently are all scripted and plot driven. But as far as random encounters go it's currently either open fields or mountainous area.

TheGentlemanLoser

True friends stab you in the front
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
well this is cyberpunk so the parks are crumbling graffiti-covered concrete wastelands full of rusting children's play equipment and collapsed gazebos patrolled by vicious, murderous drug-addled gangbangers...and if small towns w/ that much living greenery around them even exist, you don't get to visit any

gstv87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
mine is a forest, but because it's an ambush.
the player is defending, and the enemy comes *to* them.

teeeeechnically it's not even the first encounter either, in both timeline and gameplay.
very first "encounter" of the gameplay would be a training room in a barrack.... very first "encounter" of the story, by timeline, would be an open field.

it's not less creative to start in a forest, or have the first encounter be in a forest, depending on the setting: if your main set is a city, most of the time there will be an area surrounding it where you would not see an enemy approaching, as opposed to on an open field.
that area will most likely be *a forest*..... for obvious reasons.

CraneSoft

Filthy Degenerate
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Not English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I do use a literal forest in my urban fantasy game - in my third area. First area is a cavern.
Using non-forests as the first area doesn't make you creative, what matters is whether you can get creative on making said area so it is actually interesting to explore and doesn't feel like generic forest/sewer level #639.

RCXDan

Champion of Brightmoon Tor
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Interesting question because I kinda fit it but also not really. In the first game I've ever made, you are ambushed by giant monsters in a forest-y grotto, but they're an unwinnable encounter you're meant to run from. The first actual playable map has you fighting puppets in an underground dungeon quite literally designed to teach new adventurers how dungeons work, so...

The second game I've made has you fight zombies spawning out of a church graveyard, but other than that no actual fighting in forests.

Zia

Simp hard for ZHONGLI
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
ENG
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Mine starts on the subway, another by tripping into the closet and on another is when the protag sleeps.

Aesica

undefined
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Mine starts off in a small cave in a town called Forest Glen, if that counts. But it's not really a woodland village so much as a small town with a big research facility in it. The first dungeon is a shrine and the second is a cave.

As it turns out, there's only one "foresty" dungeon map in the game and it's more of a mountainy forest than a true forest. Why? Because I [bad word here]ing hate mapping out forests. :)

ImaginaryVillain

High Cultist of the Sporkle
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Absurdism
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
First actual fight? Space around what amounts to a "Wonderland".

PixeLockeT

Demon Lord Lady
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
The game I'm making on RPG Maker right now is an online RPG, but none of the places players can choose to start at are forests, unless we change that. So far:

Players can start in a village with the castle nearby, and a lil fields area.
Players can start in an evil kingdom set under the water.

We do plan to add probably one more starting area.
So far none of the mainline beginning quests have players directed to the forest either.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

The light has gone out of my life.

About time they finally press the kill switch button for older makers.
Sorry everyone, I am here sporadically. After 6 years of delays after delays in my life, I try to do all mat once and that means that I spread thin everywhere because it just is impossible to crunch 6 years in one or even two, but I try! I wish many of that I would already given you and put behind but... well...
I'm looking for an experienced gamer who has played a few games created with RPG Maker, who knows what an alpha build is, who may remember the old days when cliché was the favorite word on Creation Asylum, who, if a reviewer, would ask for my permission before making a review to post on YouTube, or whatever, since I will be messaging you a 10 minute, or so, DEMO based on an alpha build of Effervesce Fallacy™.
No matter how many times I listen to him, I know this is Joker speaking, but my brain can only hear Dagda.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuckyCat