is the secret to success making 18+ content?

Discussion in 'Commercial Games Discussion' started by hero_buddy, Oct 14, 2019.

1. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    The thing is, they don't even play the games you submit. Remember the game that got through the process that was missing the .exe? If anyone at all had played it at Steam that would have been found.

From what I've heard there are still three things you can't put in an 18+ game. No exploitation of children is one of them (and that is stated on the Steam Direct page). The other two I can't post and keep it PG13 though.

2. sura_tc

sura_tc Loner Veteran

First Language:
    Korean
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    Regardless, Steam adult games are spreading at a rapid speed. Even some adult JRPG (aka hentai games) are making it to Steam.

So, I am inclined to believe that Steam is allowing this. It is not necessarily a bad thing.

3. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Maybe. We'll see. Though if they do I joke between that and the fact that it seems to be all that sells well on Steam (unless you are an AAA company) they should rename themselves Steamy.

Also some of this mass spreading is why some devs jumped ship for Epic as they didn't want to be associated with a platform that was getting known for 18+ content and not moderating their games.

4. sura_tc

sura_tc Loner Veteran

First Language:
    Korean
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    It all began with Steam greenlight. They were the first one (a large company) to start accepting indie games onto their platform.

That should be seen as a good thing. Because, before that, it was painfully harder for indie dev to get their games to gain exposure.

Of course, it didn't take long to get that system to be abused.

Personally, I am not a fan of neither Steam nor Epic. I prefer GoG method. But this is my view as a gamer instead of a dev.
    As a dev, I prefer Steam's method.

5. BlueMage

BlueMage Slime Lv99 Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVX
    @bgillisp Steam does allow full Adult game, you just need to tag is as mature content.
    But doing so perhaps will cut down like 1/2 potential customers because unless one
    has signed in his Steam account, adult contents will never show.
    There is a better approachment that is to put NSFW content as a free DLC =)
    That way, your game still being show & advertise normally on Steam, but player
    still know that your game is NSFW and can download it easily.
    An example:
    store.steampowered.com/app/965670/Niplheims_Hunter__Branded_Azel/

6. jkweath

jkweath Goes Fast Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Any advice you'd be willing to offer on advertising, then, outside of adding R18 content?

In my experience, you're right in that advertising isn't technically difficult, but it seems very possible to put a lot of effort into advertising but with no return on investment.

7. Indinera

Indinera Indie Dev Veteran

First Language:
    French
    It happens all the time.
    I don't trust the press and to be honest I've had an entire career so far without spending a cent in marketing and also without benefiting from any significant push from journalists. For one lucky dev that gets profitable exposure, hundreds that get overlooked no matter what they do. If you're not a lucky person in general, bet on hard work and consistency over years, not marketing and definitely not press. Expecting anything from them is likely the best way to end up immensely disappointed.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
    Eric_SD-RPG-Studio and Dezue like this.
  8. Liandra Aura

Liandra Aura Game Director Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Advertise at coffee shops, work, schools, on the boards, discord servers for groups such as Lunatic, WorldAnvil, etc.

You have to get your name around and build a following before any kind of release. Luck is a factor but hard work and determination will do wonders for you. If you think about it, a lot of people who think they "don't have enough time" are simply not willing to put forth the effort. Deny it all you like, just look at the work ethic around you. Japanese workers for example will literally work until they die. I'm not advocating for that of course, but as I said before, it's all about what you're willing to put in.

rue669 likes this.
  9. Dezue

Dezue patreon.com/peninja Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Agree with @Indinera , it's far better to build up your own thing in the current gaming market instead of relying on the press.
    Over the last few years, it lost its significance quite a lot, while specialized youtubers and streamers gained influence.

We've had an Kotaku article about one of our games some time ago, and while that's a cool thing in and of itself, it sadly did nothing for us in terms of funding.

That said, it's best to not think that 'advertising is easy' or something like that if you want to make a living in game development - it's actually one of the harder things to get right, and is different for every game.

CraneSoft likes this.
  10. sura_tc

sura_tc Loner Veteran

First Language:
    Korean
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    Have to agree on loss of significance in press / media.

It has been quite noticeable in the last few years, which I think is a good thing.

Dezue and Indinera like this.
  11. jkweath

jkweath Goes Fast Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I kept trying to think of a good response to this, but the only thing I can think of is, "guilty as charged". I'm thinking after my next two game releases I'll probably make a game worthy of having a bigger publisher to do that work for me.

It actually surprises me that having an article written in Kotaku didn't help you much. I figured exposure like that would be a godsend.

Then again one of my games was featured on a podcast and had articles written on Cliqist and Defunctgames, yet its sales still pale in comparison to another of my games that I put absolutely zero advertising effort into.

12. Dezue

Dezue patreon.com/peninja Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @jkweath Yeah, we also hoped it would help more - still, the article itself was very fun to read and quite positive, so it was a good experience overall ;)

I guess it's more about the people that like your game and where they hang out instead of the sheer number of views.
    In the end, displaying your stuff in front of 1000 people that dig your kind of game is a lot better than showing it to 10.000 people that dont' really care much.

jkweath likes this.
  13. JosephSeraph

JosephSeraph White Mage Restaff

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Regarding the adult game market being oversaturated and you needing a lot to stand out; that's true if your target audience is straight men; there is however a lot of untapped potential in lgbt+ territories or even games targeted at straight women :)

granted, the potential number of players will be quite less, but since these are niches that are mostly unfulfilled, you can tap into a much, and i mean much bigger percentage of that audience. Of course though, you don't understand that demographic (which mostly comes from being the target audience, although not necessarily) it's likely players won't connect to the game and i oop.

Parallax Panda, jkweath and Dezue like this.