is the secret to success making 18+ content?

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Skyborn though was released in 2013/2014 back when just getting on Steam pretty much got you 100,000 sales or more. About any game I got info from back then was near that in sales count. Their follow up Echoes of Artheria though didn't even break 4,000 sales until it was put in the 2017 IGMC bundle.

Wavelength

Edge of Eternity
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Skyborn though was released in 2013/2014 back when just getting on Steam pretty much got you 100,000 sales or more. About any game I got info from back then was near that in sales count. Their follow up Echoes of Artheria though didn't even break 4,000 sales until it was put in the 2017 IGMC bundle.
I had no idea there was a follow-up! How nifty. New game for me to check out. :D

I suppose in some way that also highlights how important it is to engage with your fans, and not only give them a place to find your game (or follow-up game), but to make sure they are going to that place to find your game. Easier said than done.

Dezue

*******.com/peninja
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Heyho!
Just wanted to write this little reminder that (against superficial judgement) making good adult games is not as easy as it sounds: You not only have to make sure the game itself is fun, but also the sexy content has to be, well, sexy - AND it has to work together well with the gameplay.
So, just like @Wavelength said, the ways to success are kinda the same as for non-adult games. Sometimes, it can even be harder because you're obviously restricted to adult-friendly communities when it comes to showing your game.

Have fun making sexy stuff and stay funky!
Dez

Last edited:

Anyone

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You could make money with 18+ games easily way back when they basically didn't exist. Now, aside from the fetish advantage for niche games, you'll have to do it the same way as with normal games:

* Come up with an interesting idea you can execute that hasn't been done yet in that way.

JosephSeraph

White Mage
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
like superficially assessing any demographic that isn't The Only Demographic Assessed by popular 18+ maker games with the bare minimum breadcrumbiest game and roll in the cash from any content-starved minority group

The 18+ game market is only saturated if you're making The Same Bib Gooby Loli Princess Armor Damage game that everyone else's already done but i've said that in this thread already lol

RachelTheSeeker

Suddenly, a summer breeze...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
From personal experience? Most 18+ games I've heard of in my particular kink circle... kiiiinda suck? There is one on RMN that did obtain a good score, and as of late, there's at least two or three games on my kink's big community that I *would* play. For more vanilla stuff, I'd even play Amorous, a furry dating game that rewards a relationships with smex scenes (well, unless you're playing the Steam version).

As much as I can be a prude, real talk? Sex sells. It's up to you if you want to create anything intentionally lewd, or even aimed at a more risque audience. Just like depicting violence as violent, both graphic and ruining the lives of survivors? Just like depicting bigotry as bigoted, showing its aberrant and destructive nature? I feel you, or anyone else, has a right to depict sexuality as sexual.

Whether making a more lewd game to be a tool of the narrative, or even making a straight-up hentai game, you have every right to do it. People who aren't interested don't have to play. For that one kink-laden game on RMN, it worked because, in spite of a potential squickfest, it had fun gameplay and a dece story.

EthanFox

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Just wanted to write this little reminder that (against superficial judgement) making good adult games is not as easy as it sounds: You not only have to make sure the game itself is fun, but also the sexy content has to be, well, sexy - AND it has to work together well with the gameplay.
I want to second this.

Coming from a writer's perspective, the writer equivalent of this question is whether writers should write erotic books, because they seem to sell well.

While it's true erotic books can sell well, it's important to never think "they make loads of money and it's easy writing about sex", because it isn't. Some authors think it is, because many of the erotic books (even the big sellers like 50 Shades) are "bad" books in a literary sense, not terribly well-written in a literary manner - but they follow genre conventions and knowledge that only a fan of those books really understands. It's actually very difficult to break into that space if you don't know what you're doing.

JosephSeraph

White Mage
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
I will never not thoroughly enjoy laughing my ass off at the terribly badly photoshopped covers of equally bad, 10-copy-selling, hilariously specific kinkfictions on digital-only Amazon.

Anyone

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I will never not thoroughly enjoy laughing my ass off at the terribly badly photoshopped covers of equally bad, 10-copy-selling, hilariously specific kinkfictions on digital-only Amazon.
Or you check out the romance section for women.
All those men on the covers are in dire need of clothing. I'm not sure there's at least one male who isn't perpetually running out of shirts.

KakonComp

Lucid
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Ostinato
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Or you check out the romance section for women.
All those men on the covers are in dire need of clothing. I'm not sure there's at least one male who isn't perpetually running out of shirts.
It's because all their shirts ended up being two sizes too small, and with every flex, a new shirt is ripped to shreds. Since they never bought their own clothes prior to getting shredded, these poor men have no idea what to do and instead just continue their lives totally shirtless.

It's an epidemic.

DoubleX

Just a nameless weakling
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Chinese
Primarily Uses
N/A
While I've almost never played any 18+ games, I don't think such games will be my cup of tea in a foreseeable future, because I'd just watch 18+ videos if I'd have such a desire/need(of course, if the video quality of those 18+ games finally matches the real life, then maybe that's another story), maybe that's because I never have much kinky fantasies that only 18+ games can satisfy, probably unlike the majority of those being the main targeting audience of most of 18+ games.

Of course, there can be rare exceptions, and the original Utawarerumono(PC version released in 2002 not made in RM of course) is one of the very few, mainly because(obviously besides its extremely powerful CV arsenal) the relations between the NSFW and the plot is reversed there - It uses NSFW to enhance(or even push) the already excellent plot and the nice emotional bonds among the key characters, while from what I've seen in Steam and heard in this post, most 18+ games use characters and plots to justify the existence of NSFW, especially when those NSFW are really kinky(I've seen 1 such very high-rated Steam game that made me want to vomit within minutes lol).

For me, as long as the graphics of 18+ games are still nowhere close to "my eyes", the value of NSFW will still be "seasoning" of the main dish, rather than the main dish itself, so I won't eat the main dish if it tastes poorly for me, regardless of how tasty the seasoning is.
I don't know how many other potential 18+ game audience think similarly, but if the current 18+ games market's really that saturated, maybe making otherwise ordinarily good games with the extra NSFW seasoning can stand out(it's just my wild guess though) :D

So I feel that what the OP proposed can work - as long as every SFW aspect in the OP game overwhelms those in every other 18+ RM games(like what Utawarerumono did or at least almost did at that time), and the NSFW parts serve to make the SFW parts even better, which clearly involves a large amount of budget.
On a side note: While the original Utawarerumono is incredibly successful, all its remakes and successors are no longer 18+, as it turns out that the 18+ elements aren't the main contributors towards its successes(other than helping the game to take off, and is actually seriously impeding further successes due to it seriously reducing the targeting audience scope) :)

P.S.: I'm thinking of whether eventually there will be 4D VR 18+ games having real life audio/visual/sensational experience and quality, but maybe that's just a kinky fantasy :p

CraneSoft

Filthy Degenerate
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Not English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
So I feel that what the OP proposed can work - as long as every SFW aspect in the OP game overwhelms those in every other 18+ RM games(like what Utawarerumono did or at least almost did at that time), and the NSFW parts serve to make the SFW parts even better, which clearly involves a large amount of budget.
Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way, at least not in the indies market, using Utawarerumono as an example is about the same as saying you want to make something akin to Fate, we need to be realistic here that isn't possible by any means today. The whole appeal of R18 games is their "usability" :p, otherwise franchises like Rance wouldn't last almost 3 decades.

As I've mentioned before early on the thread, it greatly depends on the platform and the target audience. If a game is story-heavy and can work without the NSFW parts, it will be accessible to a wider audience and do decently well on places like Steam (provided it is of EXCEPTIONAL quality due to RM stigma), but they will terribly flop on places where the primary buyers are people looking for a ***, and vice versa. Of course, that's not saying NSFW-focused games shouldn't have a plot, because the circumstances revolving how the NSFW parts happen is extremely important to "motivate" the player to keep playing regardless of genre, they are not just there to look at nude pictures without context. If I want to play a 18+ game and your trial doesn't give me any naughty scenes in the first 15 minutes, you can bet I'll uninstall and never look back.

The bottom line is, don't try to satisfy both sides of the spectrum. That is, don't make a game NSFW if what your focus is about telling a story while neglecting the NSFW, it will turn off players who just want to play a proper plot-driven game and find out there is graphical 18+ scenes in it (not to mention you also completely exclude minors from your player base), and if NSFW is weak, players who just want to *** won't be playing your game either because there are as much 18+ games as the stars coming out on a regular basis, you end up satisfying no one. Only do it if making 18+ content is actually your passion, else you are not going to be able to build a proper R18+ audience compared to the people that do.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

One 3-day jam and a Game Awards... this month is moving... \o/
Maker-ing has been being the best thing that happened to me this year so far. it is so good to rescue some old skills fo creativity and the people I have met are really incredible. I love my coffelanders and tocudos buddies. Maybe one day I will reach other countries folks too. S2
Well... My game plays better at 1920x1080, so I guess that's the new resolution. Still runs at 60FPS. :LZSexcite: Also... I really want a boss to be able to build new maps around the player... Mostly because it's visually spectacular! I'm er... not quite sure yet how I can do that without making MV explode.... But I'll find a way, anything in service to the "sparkles"! :kaopride:
How to change your netbooks screen resolution

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vollar45