Is there a default MV campaign setting?

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by Frogboy, May 2, 2016.

1. Frogboy

Frogboy I'm not weak to fire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I know the whole point of RPG Maker is to build your own game and your own world but I was just curious if there was a default campaign setting or maybe character profiles for 8 standard characters that come with the game?  Or are we supposed to just make our own assumptions about them?  Seems like it would be kind of chaotic having these same 8 characters running around in a multitude of different worlds having wildly different personalities and general abilities in each.  Thinking that maybe they've been given a brief synopsis somewhere with their basics fleshed out and ready to build off of.

2. Zalerinian

Zalerinian Jack of all Errors Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I mean, as with any maker the default actors have default classes, equipment, abilities, etc, but I doubt any notable game really keeps any of that. If they were to use the same characters included with the engine, they likely gave them their own setup and personalities, just using the same graphics. And there's nothing wrong with that really, each game has its right to be different, but not everyone can afford custom graphics, so they make do with what they're given.

In short, no I don't believe there's really a set personality type or anything for the characters. Each game does whatever they want with them.

3. Frogboy

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I realize that absolutely nothing is set in stone when it comes to something like this. Same applies to table top RPGs but it's not uncommon for the publisher to create "iconic" characters for each class and profile them. Was just curious if the base characters in MV had anything like this out there that I could look into. It would actually be more useful for situations when your custom characters ran into and interacted with the iconics.

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2016
  4. Victor Sant

Victor Sant Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    The default characters are just samples, nothing beyond that.

They don't belong a specific setting or anything like that, They're just there so the project don't start completely empty and to give people starting with the program some references and starting points to do their own setup.

kaukusaki likes this.
  5. amerk

amerk Veteran Member

First Language:
    English
    Are you asking about open source sample games, similar to how the console RPG Makers did where they packaged in a sample game for the player to work with, learn from, and possibly edit?

If so, sample games are not provided with the PC RM makers by default; however, these are often created by the communities, so you may just want to check out the completed game list to see which are MV and which are not encrypted.

6. Frogboy

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    No, I was just curious if there was any lore built around the cover characters. Something similar to what Paizo does s for each  iconic character they put forward as an example. Because these character are unique, as in you can't possibly recreate them with the character generator, I just thought that they might have a short bio somewhere. No big deal. I thought it would be kind of cool to use the MV iconics in a game as important NPCs and wanted to know more about them.

7. amerk

amerk Veteran Member

First Language:
    English
    Back in the days of VX (and perhaps more importantly the late VX.net site), there was a lot of community made games centered around VX, a VX.net mansion of sorts where the Admins lived or hung out, and various community members taking roles for the games that were made. Many of these did poke fun of some of the default characters, especially Ralph. That was about the most lore I ever got with an RPG Maker version, even if it was made up.

Not sure where I'm going with this, other than to say there was never any real lore or scenarios for the characters or pieces included in the RTP outside of what the users imagined, but it would be nice to have a huge library of community games again, because I think it invited a lot of people to come along, and helped make the community strong.