Is there a function to find events ingame as the player?

Winter Witch

❄️
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hello everyone!
I'm currently making a Point-n-click type horror/detective game and realised, that some puzzles and items might be too hard to solve/find in a detailed map.
In many games in the "solve a crime/mystery" genre, there's a function to find clickable objects and I was wondering if there is a way/script to have that in a RPG Maker game as well?
Like, if you are stuck because you miss something, you can press a certain button or use an item to make clickable things visible and maybe find the bookshelf that you needed to continue.
The perfect solution would be somethin in the event itself, to avoid that every lamp or stone in the river blinks by pressing the button.
It would be awesome!
Thanks in advance!

Winter Witch

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
The way I would do this would be to have a switch "show hints" set aside, and creating a second page in each event activated by that switch which is the object's graphic with a sparkle on it. Then in the second page, I'd do a short wait followed by turning the switch off.

Winter Witch

❄️
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Thank you very much for the quick response! I will try this, it sounds great

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
In order to work properly the page with the wait/switch off needs to be parallel process. Depending on how many interactable events you have, I'd consider having a "master" parallel process common event which is also activated by the "show hints" switch and put the wait/switch off there instead.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
the master switch might not work depending on the exact rules of the puzzle.

it will work if all remaining events should blink on hint, but if only specific ones should blink (for example because the order or timing is important), then you'll need a much more complex event for the hint system.

tell us if you need more help, your description of your puzzle is too short to be sure which way it has to go.

Winter Witch

❄️
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Thank you so much! It worked! I made a common event which activates a switch, wait 60 frames and then deactivates it again. The clickable objects have a second page which is activated by this switch and show a smaller version of the light balls animation. This is exactly what I imagined. I'm gonna make a button with this function so players can click it.
Again, thank you very much!

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Glad to be of assistance!

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Fire-Emblem Style Level Up System, Boost on Class Change, And Animated Arrows | RPG Maker News #115

Why keyboards don't sleep? Because they have two shifts.
I realized a while ago my game was toooo big in scope. even now I wonder am I trying to do too much by myself. and that's after completely changing the format of the game.
Last week at SLC. Cali awaits. TBH I love SLC more than SF.
Back home now. I had a good time, but I had a checkup this morning so I had to come home for that. Now I'm just waiting for my therapist meeting tomorrow...
Decided to work on Wishful Wanda today. Since it's a BFB spinoff game, I decided to make the Huang brothers
Easter eggs! I'm actually pitching this to the BFDI team, btw.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jqcyclops