Is there a GIMP plug-in or technique to divide an image based on the grid?

CoryH

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This is probably a long-shot, but I was wondering if there was a way using GIMP to divide an image based off of the grid or a similar tool, into separate files?
What I'm trying to accomplish is converting many of the wonderful assets from the community into doodads.
I don't mind doing each item individually, but it's taking up a lot of my time. Time I would rather spend mapping or writing.

Jesse - PVGames

Game and Graphics Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
To my knowledge, there is nothing like what you're describing. Doing each one manually is the way to go. There is other software out there that takes sprite sheets and splits them up into individual images, but each sprite grid has to be the same dimensions, and this would mean you would probably have to copy and paste a bunch of the items you want to turn into doodads around so that they conform to the appropriate dimensions and such, so you might as well just do it manually anyway :)

CoryH

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Worth a shot lol.
Thanks for the help.

mishakoc

Professional Procrastinator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Czech
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I use imgonline.com.ua/eng/cut-photo-into-pieces.php for splitting up images for doodads. Using the regular grid, the B etc. tiles are split using the setting 16x16. Hope it helps.
It's good for smaller items, the bigger ones you'll need to do by hand but it won't be as bothersome.

CoryH

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks, I'll defininetly check it it out!

cabfe

Cool Cat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Add guides where you want to cut (the grid can help to position the guides, but it won't be used by itself) and then:
Image > Transform > Guillotine

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
if its similair to photoshop, you can also create an easy guide grid (48x48) and use the snaptool so you can use the select too afterwards
on 48x48 easely and copy past in a new file. there is also a tool outside gimp, ShoeBox which can make seperate files for you fast and easy.

it might be a bit complicated, but when you get the hang of it, its plain easy and there is alot of options as well.

mishakoc

Professional Procrastinator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Czech
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@cabfe I don't use GIMP because I find it too frustrating but this feature sure seems cool and worth taking a shot.

CoryH

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I tried the website Mishakoc recommended, It does exactly what I needed, and very quickly.
It even zips the individual files in folders to help keep everything organized. It's better than I could have hoped for.
Thanks everybody!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Would you like a glass of spiders?
Besides my Might and Magic inspired project, I have always wanted to make a Fire Emblem-like game. Time is the culprit... Between life, composing music packs, and working on a game can it be done!? The tactical plugins for MV work quite well based on what I have tested.
Yaaay! My second public script is out and approved! A VX Ace Final Fantasy IX styled Throw Script!

I look forward to all the constructive feedback I get but most importantly I hope everyone who ends up using it enjoys!

Yaaaay! Making scripts is fun lol. :D
When you're lost out therrrrre and you're alllll alone, ahwahwah waitin, to carry you hooooommmme, uhhheverywhere you look! (someone hit me with those backing vocals)
X.X cant focus... too many thing want do... help!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaezyelnatz