Is there a guide to parallax mapping that actually explains how to line things up??

akuakudac

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I have no idea what to do anymore. My map looks like dog **** and i cant get it to line up.. Can someone please just give me an official guide (step by step ) preferably on how im supposed to do this. Im tired of all the horrible and vague explanations.. Thank you!

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
perhaps you should start by explaining what exactly you mean by "line up", because the entire purpose of parallax mapping is to abandon the grid and have things NOT lined up.

EDIT: as for the quality of the map
parallax mapping is NOT an automatic "make maps good" wish - quite on the contrary. Someone once said that regular mapping is 20% of the work for 80% of the quality of parallax maps (which means parallax maps are a lot more work for a final increase in quality), but that only works if you already know how to design a map. Designing a map means to sketch it on paper deciding where to put what before the very first tile or pixel is ever placed on the computer, and if you don't know how to design a map it doesn't matter what type of mapping you use, it will never result in a good map.

akuakudac

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
perhaps you should start by explaining what exactly you mean by "line up", because the entire purpose of parallax mapping is to abandon the grid and have things NOT lined up.

EDIT: as for the quality of the map
parallax mapping is NOT an automatic "make maps good" wish - quite on the contrary. Someone once said that regular mapping is 20% of the work for 80% of the quality of parallax maps (which means parallax maps are a lot more work for a final increase in quality), but that only works if you already know how to design a map. Designing a map means to sketch it on paper deciding where to put what before the very first tile or pixel is ever placed on the computer, and if you don't know how to design a map it doesn't matter what type of mapping you use, it will never result in a good map.
well, the thing is, when i put my map down, it repeats for some reason and i have no idea how to fix this. Ive seen tutorials where they port theirs perfectly, but mine repeats on the sides :0

Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I really like @fallenlorelei's mapping videos. They may be a couple of years old now, but it still feels pretty timeless to me.

Edit: Oh, that was part 4 of a series btw. You can watch part 1 instead.

akuakudac

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I really like @fallenlorelei's mapping videos. They may be a couple of years old now, but it still feels pretty timeless to me.

Edit: Oh, that was part 4 of a series btw. You can watch part 1 instead.
Thank you! I've seen this tutorial before but I gave it another skim through again. One thing I'm still unclear of is how I'm supposed to make sure the parallax and the map size is exactly the same. Though I could've totally missed in since I've been skipping some parts of the video.
thanks again tho :))

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
here is another one (great parallaxer) found [here], the developer
who made this map is not able to finish his game, due he died.

after the demo he put out, was 1 week after down, so a friend or
family member put the final release of the demo he made, but is
far from finish.

he hoped that his parallax mapping can be of great use how to make
good and detailed parallax map.

eitehr with pixel movement or gridbased movement.

but parallax is time consuming.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
One thing I'm still unclear of is how I'm supposed to make sure the parallax and the map size is exactly the same.
Parallax size in pixels = map size in tiles multiplied by grid size

it's simple mathematics

akuakudac

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Parallax size in pixels = map size in tiles multiplied by grid size

it's simple mathematics
So basically I just gotta multiply all the number together?

eomereolsson

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If you don't use any plugin to alter it, a single tile in MV is 48x48 pixels. If you have a map of 2x3 tiles for example, your parallax would need to be exactly (2*48)x(3*48) = 96x144 pixels large. Any smaller and it will loop. Any bigger and it will be cut off.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

I just found out somebody pirated my 3,99$ game. I spent over a year making it and somebody just publish it for free a week after early access released.

I should be glad, cuz if they pirate you, that means your game has to be good, but im not. I barely sold any copy. Didn't get any info from most of the sites I wrote.
So I'm hoping that I get an MRI on my knee soon, but until then, I'm on a prescription dosage of ibuprofen. It's definitely helping, but my knee is still hurting and occasionally locks up. The urgent care doctor was convinced it's a meniscus tear due to it locking, and said that if it is, I'll need surgery. :(
pixel ejemplo2.png
My dad just retired from work... that's why I'm making these pixel art icons very cheap!
Perfect for your game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pige0n