Is there a Japanese manual for RPG Maker MV?

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by Wacky, Jun 4, 2017.

1. Wacky

Wacky Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    I know that it's been mentioned several times on the forums that there is no manual for RPG Maker MV or any other version, only the tutorials that users make, but was there a manual for the original Japanese version?

Something my father told me years ago about Japanese appliances got me thinking. When Japan first started making transistor radios--the kind we use today--no one bought them because the manuals had been so poorly written into English. Eventually one Japanese company got the idea to give their poorly made manual to an electronics expert, and a radio, and have him write the official English version.

So if we can track down such a manual in Japan, I can run it through a translate program and maybe typed up something usable for all of us.

Just a thought.

Sign--
    Wacky​

2. Zalerinian

Zalerinian Jack of all Errors Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Who said there's no manual...? Have you tried pressing F1 with the editor open? That opens the manual....

3. Diretooth

Diretooth Lv. 23 Werewolf Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    HALP.png
    Found it.
    (Yes, this is exactly as sarcastic as I want it to be. If it's any kind of program, it will most likely have some sort of help file or manual either hotkeyed to F1 or under the 'Help' tab.)

4. Wacky

Wacky Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    That's not a bad reference, but I wouldn't call it a manual.

I've dealt with a lot of technical books over the years and I find that option to fall short. It is better than a quickstart guide, don't get me wrong, but I keep walking away feeling that it missed a lot of information I have to ask others who are more experience with the program about.

With a good manual you can do more. As a kid, when DOS computers were still about, I programed my own version of Windows using BAT(ch) files. A manual goes through all ins and outs.

5. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    If you couldn't find the Japanese manual, that means you couldn't find the English manual, because they're in the same place. So how do you know that the English manual is poorly written and needs to be re-translated?

Even if it did, translate programs are NOT the way to do it. The way to do it is to find someone who speaks both languages fluently and have them do it manually.

English-speaking people wrote the English help file.

6. Wacky

Wacky Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    The first sentence really doesn't make sense. Second, I read the help file (which I assume you're referring to) and that's what I was basing my judgement off of. I find it lacking.

You're right, translate programs aren't the way to do it. As I mentioned in the beginning of the thread with my story on the Japanese transistor radio such a bad translation worked horribly. (Although in all fairness, it was just someone using an Japanese to English book and not a program.) The point was someone sifted through the rough translate to make a good, functional piece that helped people understand what was going on.

Yes. But I still find said file lacking. I'm sorry if this somehow comes off as upsetting to you, but I just feel like it is incomplete and maybe the original had more to it. When I had reference the work to make a skill have a particular damage range to mirror an RPG I played in, it wouldn't work with the formula.

I had read the formula and the output numbers were crazy off. I had type in a value of 2, gave it a variance of 50% so it'd have a range of 1 to 3. Mathematically it was all sound. But I got outputs ranging from 12 to 17 and no idea where it was all coming from. I had disabled crits, made sure other stats didn't apply, and still no answer.

This is just an example of the info the help file just doesn't help with. So I was willing to invest time and research into trying to make something that would be a use to everyone.

7. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It's not upsetting to me :)

You're saying you want to provide a better translation, but your complaint seems to be nothing to do with the translation, but only with the actual content - ie, there isn't enough of it, it doesn't provide enough detail. I agree with you there - it'd be good if things were explained more fully, with examples.

8. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    If you tell us what info you're missing in the help file, we might be able to point you to it - if it exists.
    Or we can request an update to the help file through the improvement board specifying what is missing.

But nothing can really change without learning what you think is missing there...

9. Wacky

Wacky Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Always good to know. :)

Basically that's it, but without having an original example to reference I don't know if the Japanese version is without or has the information I'm looking for. It just boils down to assumptions and I hate those. :p

As mentioned above, I've been looking for an explanation of how combat mechanics work. I've tried to use the software to create an output of damage between 1-3 by using a straight value of 2 and a 50% variance, but I get outputs of 13 to 17.

I've taken programing classes over the years in BASIC, C++, FlashMX, and was going to get one for Java if it hadn't been canceled. I shouldn't have results like that and I'm trying to figure out why. I was hoping an explanation from the source material would give me better results.

10. SamJones

SamJones Autorun Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Then you did not take the Attack Parameter values the actor's class and weapon add into account. I get damage consistent with the numbers set in my battle tests.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
  11. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    That is not in the help file, because it can't be there - every game has its own damage formulae, and we would need to get a mathematics course into the help file to describe that.

The damage is calculated by the formula that you set for the skill.
    If you place a 2 there (instead of a real formula) and don't give the skill an element, then the result will be between 1 and 3 on a variance of 50%.
    If you have such a different result, then you didn't place a 2 into the damage formula but kept part of the original formula or changed it to a different formula or whatever - for example (4*a.atk - 2*b.def) is the formula to multiply the skill users Attack value with four, then substract double the target defense and use that instead of your 2 as the base damage.

But we can't include basic mathematics into the help file - and that is all it is, basic mathematics with referencing of battler values (including traits, equipment and so on).

12. Wacky

Wacky Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    My equation didn't call on the Attack Parameter, nor a weapon (this was just a simple punch attack). Had it been that I could see where that would came into play.

Believe it or not, I did get all that from the program. It popped up when the cursor was over the input box so that wasn't were my dilemma was coming from.

My problem stems from the range I was getting from the output. While the ranges increased or decreased with the numbers I entered (bigger or smaller) they were never within the appropriate output range.

13. cekobico

cekobico Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Have you ever tried going to the Japanese website and download the trial version of the Japanese RMMV and check to see if the helpfile is in Japanese?

14. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Computers don't calculate anything without a reason - which means there has to be something you were doing wrong if you get the wrong results.
    Make a new topic with a screenshot of the skill that produces the results and we can start looking where your mistake is.

EDIT: add the screenshots for actor, class and enemy as well as there might be something there that affects the damage formula.

15. Wacky

Wacky Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Actually I did do that. Last year. You even responded to it.

Had a couple of other posts to the question but that was it. Didn't go anywhere so that's when I started up my manual hunt for something more solid.